Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Does anyone know why hospitalizations are not being reported daily? I’m asking because I don’t know. Did anyone hear anything?

It was announced last week they were going to start reporting those stats again, but I don't think they have started yet.

Miami-Herald reported yesterday on how they have yet to start giving that information again -

Last edited:

Touchdown

If that news article was right and there is a giant data error/conspiracy tell me this:

-Why are ICUs and hospitals filling up in Florida? I’m going to be very general here but, traditionally medical admissions generally peak in the winter and dip in the summer because flu/pneumonia’s are far more common in the winter; surgical admissions peak in the summer because people drive and party more in the summer (increasing trauma.) This summer, the trauma business is thankfully way down because most people are still staying home. There is no explanation other then a widespread epidemic to explain why hospitals are filling up. They weren’t a month ago and now they are suggesting Covid rates in Florida are sky rocketing.

-Does this data error extend to other states? The entire Sun Belt is experiencing a similar surge as Florida, there is no reason Florida should be an outlier compared to those other states. I’ll also point out that hospitals in those states are also filling up.

-If Florida and the sunbelt were experiencing similar %positive rates as states in the Midwest and Northeast, assuming that each state had a similar hospital bed to population ratio there should be stories about those hospitals being full up here too, which there isn’t. My state (Wisconsin) an entirely average Midwest state in most ways (and one that is mostly open) is currently operating hospitals at 79% capacity and only has 254 people hospitalized with Covid (69 ICU) and 164 people admitted with pending tests. We aren’t stressed, our new case levels had been climbing, until yesterday when the 7 day average decreased for the first time in 2 weeks.

Keep digging your head in the sand thinking Florida doesn’t have a Covid problem. %positive is not the only thing increasing in Florida every other metric imaginable is too (raw new case numbers, hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths.)

One other thing, if you get a Covid test in my area do you know how long it takes to get a result back? Average wait is less then 2 days, that’s why our total amount of people tested is always much lower on Sunday-Monday (tests done Saturday-Sunday.) If you Floridians are waiting 5-7 days at this point that is criminal.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.28.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.28.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.28.19 AM.png

oceanbreeze77

Based on the “new math” the positivity rate went negative today ;) You take the reported percent and subtract 15 for under reporting and data errors ;). A negative positivity rate must mean that some people who got the virus yesterday gave it back;););)
WOW!!! Youre brilliant!!!! why won't anyone listen to you!?!?!?!?!?!

Heppenheimer

At least 56 intensive care units in Florida hospitals reached capacity Tuesday, according to data from the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. Another 35 hospitals show ICU bed availability of 10% or less. The data comes as the state, now the nation's No. 1 hot spot for the virus, reports 7,361 new COVID-19 cases. Gov. Ron DeSantis refused Tuesday to say why his state has not begun reporting the daily COVID-19 hospitalization rate, the Miami Herald reported. On Monday, he said that the outbreak in Florida had "stabilized.”

Does anyone know why hospitalizations are not being reported daily? I’m asking because I don’t know. Did anyone hear anything?
Day to day hospitalization numbers don't have as much relevance as weekly or monthly trends. For a variety of structural reasons, numbers almost always go up on weekends, then go down early in the work week as the back-log from the weekend gets discharged.

Touchdown

Day to day hospitalization numbers don't have as much relevance as weekly or monthly trends. For a variety of structural reasons, numbers almost always go up on weekends, then go down early in the work week as the back-log from the weekend gets discharged.

You’ve got that reversed my friend. Elective procedures occur in weekdays and are scheduled so that those people leave prior to the weekend. Clinics are closed (or have reduced hours on weekends) and people have a higher threshold to seek a doctor on a weekend (which cuts into their free time) then a weekday (excused work absence.) The busiest days in hospital census is Tues-Thur, the weekends are quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom