Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

You’ve got that reversed my friend. Elective procedures occur in weekdays and are scheduled so that those people leave prior to the weekend. Clinics are closed (or have reduced hours on weekends) and people have a higher threshold to seek a doctor on a weekend (which cuts into their free time) then a weekday (excused work absence.) The busiest days in hospital census is Tues-Thur, the weekends are quieter.
When I worked as a hospitalist, I always had my biggest census on the weekends because:

- I couldn't get lexiscans, echos or anything other than emergency ultrasound on the weekends, so I had to hold on to certain cases longer than I would have during the week.

- No social workers, so no rehab transfers even for the minority of local facilities that accepted during the weekends, or discharges for socially complicated patients.

- Last minute, Friday afternoon cases that would normally get an outpatient work-up end up in the ER.

-Friday afternoon ER granny dumps.

-Primary care clinics closed, so couldn't arrange the close follow-up some patients needed to avoid the dreaded re-admission penalty.

There were always more than enough of these to balance out the lack of elective surgery cases during the weekend. This hospital was also located in a rather economically depressed and extremely unhealthy community, so that may have skewed the numbers.

-

Touchdown

When I worked as a hospitalist, I always had my biggest census on the weekends because:

- I couldn't get lexiscans, echos or anything other than emergency ultrasound on the weekends, so I had to hold on to certain cases longer than I would have during the week.

- No social workers, so no rehab transfers even for the minority of local facilities that accepted during the weekends, or discharges for socially complicated patients.

- Last minute, Friday afternoon cases that would normally get an outpatient work-up end up in the ER.

-Friday afternoon ER granny dumps.

-Primary care clinics closed, so couldn't arrange the close follow-up some patients needed to avoid the dreaded re-admission penalty.

There were always more than enough of these to balance out the lack of elective surgery cases during the weekend.

-

The only reason I have a bigger census on weekends is because we lose our 8 hour rounder and 2 NP/PAs. If we had steady staff our numbers would be down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you read the other articles from that bastion of journalistic integrity that is the "alachua chronicle"?

It's of a certain political persuasion and has 2 bloggers that write for it.

It's not even a real news outlet.

Where do they find these things?!

ETA: Just look at some of their ads on their site........You see where the money comes from

Ahhh...that slipped under the radar. Now I’m sad I wasted the 2 calories to read that drivel.
So, you think they are what? Lying?

edit to add....\

Scroll to page 28 or so, and start looking at the lab reports.
Not lying...stupid in a “reality” they believe to be exist that doesn’t. People make up so much stuff today and convince themselves to believe it that they forget it was all crap from the premise in the first place.

This has become the same thing that we see in all issues...the “smart people” arguing a point based on observations and data and the rest digging In and shouting “ain’t right!”...because they’re convinced the smart people are stupid.

It’s a cancer on society.
It's not a conspiracy you nut job. It's bad data reporting. What is so hard to understand here? What about the labs reporting 90% positive or 80% you think that seems kosher? No conspiracy. You are constructing a straw man and then ripping him to bits with a chainsaw.

Listen, you want to think we are doing a great job and gathering and disseminating the data on this pandemic, be my guest.

Oh bless your heart! We are officially at recess.

Jrb1979

below are the new covid cases which were reported yesterday (Tuesday July 7th) in different jurisdictions. (note that different sources give slightly different statistics):

60,021 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 30x
- California (1.05x the population of Canada) 35x
- Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 50x
1,010 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 50x
- Orange County, Florida (0.037x the population of Canada) 40x
- Canada

The bold number gives an indication of how much worse the jurisdiction is doing when compared to Canada, taking into account population size.

I just shake my head at the ones who keep downplaying this. What concerns me is if what's happening now isn't bad then what is?

Touchdown

What concerns me is we seem to be hell bent on starting school soon in the south which will lead to children spreading the virus to their parents who will then spread it to their co workers and the impending flu season which is now only 3 months away, in 6 months we may look bank on July as the “calm before the storm.” Remember our last pandemic (Spanish Flu) killed a vast majority of its victims in the second wave (we cant even end the first wave in this country.)

Touchdown

Yes, this is great news!

I’ll save your post for posterity, let’s revisit it in 3 months. Just so you know, I’m sincerely rooting for you mate, but I think it’s going to be a disaster. Also I acknowledge the very real serious consequences of not holding school for child development; but on a risk reward scale I think the risk of spreading Covid more is currently the worse outcome.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’ll save your post for posterity, let’s revisit it in 3 months. Just so you know, I’m sincerely rooting for you mate, but I think it’s going to be a disaster. Also I acknowledge the very real serious consequences of not holding school for child development; but on a risk reward scale I think the risk of spreading Covid more is currently the worse outcome.

Your assumption is that reopening schools with appropriate safety protocols in place will contribute significantly to spread. I don't make that assumption.

Jrb1979

Yes, it is. Great news! I am thrilled reopening schools is as safe a way as possible is being pushed by my state as well as the feds, including the CDC and others. So essential. Maybe nothing is more essential than this. I am so glad it is being given top priority.
Yet here they haven't decided how to open schools. The only thing that has been talked about is kids being tested and they stay in their bubble of 15 with the same teacher all day. They may only go to school once a week.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yet here they haven't decided how to open schools. The only thing that has been talked about is kids being tested and they stay in their bubble of 15 with the same teacher all day. They may only go to school once a week.
We go back mid-august so it would make sense that this is being determined here a bit earlier.

Kevin_W

What concerns me is we seem to be hell bent on starting school soon in the south which will lead to children spreading the virus to their parents who will then spread it to their co workers and the impending flu season which is now only 3 months away, in 6 months we may look bank on July as the “calm before the storm.” Remember our last pandemic (Spanish Flu) killed a vast majority of its victims in the second wave (we cant even end the first wave in this country.)

Almost no one alive remembers the 1918 pandemic, and probably 90% of the population couldn't have told you anythign about it 4 months ago. But yes, by now we all know about it.

The thing with school is that we don't know that it's a given children will spread this to adults and others. The virus is behaving quite differently in children than pretty much all other respiratory viruses have. Some of the evidence points to children not reaching a high enough viral load to be contagious spreaders.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
below are the new covid cases which were reported yesterday (Tuesday July 7th) in different jurisdictions. (note that different sources give slightly different statistics):

60,021 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 30x
- California (1.05x the population of Canada) 35x
- Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 50x
1,010 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 50x
- Orange County, Florida (0.037x the population of Canada) 40x
- Canada

The bold number gives an indication of how much worse the jurisdiction is doing when compared to Canada, taking into account population size.

I just shake my head at the ones who keep downplaying this. What concerns me is if what's happening now isn't bad then what is?
But there’s snow in Canada...so that kills the virus, right?

Make sure somebody lets Kayleigh know...

JoeCamel

Yes, it is. Great news! I am thrilled reopening schools is as safe a way as possible is being pushed by my state as well as the feds, including the CDC and others. So essential. Maybe nothing is more essential than this. I am so glad it is being given top priority.
Your assumption is that reopening schools with appropriate safety protocols in place will contribute significantly to spread. I don't make that assumption.

I can only paraphrase what I heard a middle school teacher say yesterday

"Great, open the schools and I want DJT to sit in the back of my classroom with the 38 - 39 other kids cycling through the day for the 7 hours I am there ."

Its not just the kids here, the teachers are outraged in Florida. God help the teachers, we need them.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can only paraphrase what I heard a middle school teacher say yesterday

"Great, open the schools and I want DJT to sit in the back of my classroom with the 38 - 39 other kids cycling through the day for the 7 hours I am there for."

Its not just the kids here, the teachers are outraged in Florida. God help the teachers, we need them.
The flaw in your logic is believing that person has ever given a 💩 about any other human on earth...not since day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom