Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am going to put this as delicately as I can. These posts are embarrassing. READ the article. The percentages aren't for the entire state. They investigated locally. They are a local newspaper. Those are local numbers. The UF numbers are in your face and obvious, the 13.7 to 3.9 is for UF.

Now, if you want to believe only the labs reporting for UF are doing this, then fine. That's, I guess, a position you could take.

Before you declare something borderline stupidity, make sure you aren't condemning yourself.
Borderline embarrassing is trying to make a larger correlation based on a semi deserted college town not near a major urban area in july

It’s a “non-point”

Let me be clear about that

I used to write for the Daily Collegian...you want to quote me as press?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
3E26638E-04F8-40DC-ABD3-6E70B5B2839A.png

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Borderline embarrassing is trying to make a larger correlation based on a semi deserted college town not near a major urban area in july

It’s a “non-point”

Let me be clear about that

I used to write for the Daily Collegian...you want to quote me as press?
You still don't get it. Listen to me. This article, this actual journalist, investigated the numbers and found some strange anomalies. Many labs reporting 100% positive results, so they looked deeper. Using UF as a bell weather, they were able to uncover some majorly bad data. That combined with the many labs reporting 100% or 98% or 86% positive, gives you a pretty good idea that Florida's positivity numbers are indisputably wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You still don't get it. Listen to me. This article, this actual journalist, investigated the numbers and found some strange anomalies. Many labs reporting 100% positive results, so they looked deeper. Using UF as a bell weather, they were able to uncover some majorly bad data. That combined with the many labs reporting 100% or 98% or 86% positive, gives you a pretty good idea that Florida's positivity numbers are indisputably wrong.
There are literally tens of thousands of pieces of reporting - from across the “spectrum” - talking about the negative trends or dangers of resurgence...and you continue to data mine the fringes

You’re not making much of case for credibility

Lilofan

Trenton pizza has come to bucks. Your exactly right. DeLorenzos is a few miles from me. Best pizza in Trenton and they brought it here!

sorry for the veering off the thread but this place is worth it.
Now I'm hungry. A guy from New Jersey tried to open up a pizza shop in South FL importing New Jersey water to make the dough. I don't think he's in business anymore.It's all in the water. Only NJ/NY residents can understand. When Orlando voted Dominos best pizza years ago, I just had to laugh.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There are literally tens of thousands of pieces of reporting - from across the “spectrum” - talking about the negative trends or dangers of resurgence...and you continue to data mine the fringes

Laughable. I don't need credibility, but the folks dictating policy do. This pulls away another layer of the credibility.

Let's just make a deal, you and your cadre stop screaming about positivity rates in Florida, since we now know, they are trash. You want to scream till your lungs explode about total cases, go ahead.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does it really matter anymore? WDW is opening, the bar ban has been neutered and it’s full speed ahead in FL no matter what the numbers are. No need to reach to try to discredit the data, the governor already said he’s not slowing anything down no matter what. Plus, after 2 months of railing on about how percent positive is all that matters we have moved on from that now to death rate....until that looks bad. I look forward to seeing what the new “only thing that matters” will be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Laughable. I don't need credibility, but the folks dictating policy do. This pulls away another layer of the credibility.

Let's just make a deal, you and your cadre stop screaming about positivity rates in Florida, since we now know, they are trash. You want to scream till your lungs explode about total cases, go ahead.
This would make some sense if the folks dictating policy actually looked at the numbers and acted on them. So percent positive has been around 12-15% for a few weeks now but what has the government done to act on that?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Does it really matter anymore? WDW is opening, the bar ban has been neutered and it’s full speed ahead in FL no matter what the numbers are. No need to reach to try to discredit the data, the governor already said he’s not slowing anything down no matter what. Plus, after 2 months of railing on about how percent positive is all that matters we have moved on from that now to death rate....until that looks bad. I look forward to seeing what the new “only thing that matters” will be.
It's not full speed ahead though, is it? Have you seen what WDW is gonna look like? Bars are still closed, indoor places still have capacity restrictions, masks are mandatory in many areas. But that's beside the point.

Yes, it does matter, the numbers do matter. We should be doing so much better then we are at tracking this thing. With real data, we could make smarter decisions. With bad data, we wind up taking wild guesses. Bad in = bad out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not full speed ahead though, is it? Have you seen what WDW is gonna look like? Bars are still closed, indoor places still have capacity restrictions, masks are mandatory in many areas. But that's beside the point.

Yes, it does matter, the numbers do matter. We should be doing so much better then we are at tracking this thing. With real data, we could make smarter decisions. With bad data, we wind up taking wild guesses. Bad in = bad out.
WDW is going above and beyond what the government requires. Some bars are closed, most are still open. There are some local restrictions in place, but you’re saying those decisions were made on bad data and things aren’t as bad as reported, so shouldn’t they remove the remaining restrictions?

kong1802

Have you read the other articles from that bastion of journalistic integrity that is the "alachua chronicle"?

It's of a certain political persuasion and has 2 bloggers that write for it.

It's not even a real news outlet.

Where do they find these things?!

ETA: Just look at some of their ads on their site........You see where the money comes from

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WDW is going above and beyond what the government requires. Some bars are closed, most are still open. There are some local restrictions in place, but you’re saying those decisions were made on bad data and things aren’t as bad as reported, so shouldn’t they remove the remaining restrictions?
No, I am not making that argument. I think sensibile physical distance restrictions probably are the way to go. However, I am simply pointing out that bad data is bad. Do you disagree?
Have you read the other articles from that bastion of journalistic integrity that is the "alachua chronicle"?

It's of a certain political persuasion and has 2 bloggers that write for it.

It's not even a real news outlet.

Where do they find these things?!

ETA: Just look at some of their ads on their site........You see where the money comes from
So, you think they are what? Lying?

edit to add....\

Scroll to page 28 or so, and start looking at the lab reports.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, I am not making that argument. I think sensibile physical distance restrictions probably are the way to go. However, I am simply pointing out that bad data is bad. Do you disagree?
I don’t see why the data even matters if it’s full speed ahead no matter what. The governor said they were not going back on re-opening plans no matter what.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don’t see why the data even matters if it’s full speed ahead no matter what. The governor said they were not going back on re-opening plans no matter what.

So much of the country is nowhere close to full speed ahead. And even if the government opened everything tomorrow. No more gov mandated closures. Actual full speed ahead. The data would still matter to us as citizens. So we could make informed decisions.

kong1802

So, you think they are what? Lying?

edit to add....\

Scroll to page 28 or so, and start looking at the lab reports.

I think it's obvious they have an agenda.

So for funsies, since their greatly sourced and well written article left out the statistical impact of those labs, I went ahead and did a quick and dirty version. I'm sure with only two people on staff, they didn't have the time....

So if you count all the positive numbers from labs reporting 100%, that accounts for approx 4,370 positive cases. Let's just throw them out. They are obviously misleading the public and the good folks at Alachua Chronicle have rooted them out. Nice try hospitals.

Problem is, before we remove them, there were 268,024 total positive cases. So unfortunately, 4,370 positive doesn't move the needle any...........

I bet it's a bigger conspiracy. I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom