Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowrbazzle

Humans are inherently imperfect. There could be dozens of reasons why. One already presented is the financial windfall that could be associated with a vaccine. The other could be the notoriety involved with developing it and the reputation as an industry leader it brings to the brands/companies involved in it's development. (I hear the "not ethical" argument. I want to believe all are taking the completely ethical highroad in the development of a vaccine, but I also have a realistic understanding of how the world operates with a long memory of pharmaceutical company's idea of "ethics".)

The point has not changed. It may work, it may not. We need to wait and not jump to the conclusion that this is going to be a working solution and that it will be here before the end of the year.

You don't have any evidence the scientists are lying for money and notoriety, but you think it's fine to imply it anyway. 🙄

ImperfectPixie

You don't have any evidence the scientists are lying for money and notoriety, but you think it's fine to imply it anyway. 🙄
The author's choice of article title leaves him open to such speculation. If he wasn't willing to risk the speculation, he should have used a more accurate title.

VaderTron

You don't have any evidence they are not, but are fine implying it anyway. See...it works both ways.

P.S. I said it's possible and it's just as possible they made errors in their findings. It's also just as possible all findings are correct. WAIT AND SEE was the point. Nothing more.

Patcheslee

Not sure of the legalities of that but many other lines are having the same problem, Royal Caribbean among them. Apparently part of the issue is that these crew members cannot use any form of a common carrier to get home. I am understanding this to mean that they cant use a commercial flight, public train or taxi to get home. The cruise line executives werent able to get these people home without signing a document swearing that crew wouldnt use common carriers, which if it wasnt followed could result in jail time for said executives. Recently Royal Caribbean did sign it and is in the process of getting as many people home as possible. The question that this brings up, is if the Cruise Lines do start up again soon (relative term), getting these crew members back could be very difficult. What then? Marie
Interesting to know. For the cost of taking care of the crew, why can't the all cruise lines work with airlines to have a cruise crew only flight? And ground transportation the same way?
As far as crew members returning, they've been on for months, how many will be willing to return at all?

VaderTron

If I were a contributing author, I'd definitely be opposed to titles that skew perception of article content.
You would also be out of a job if you tried to use a less enticing title that aligned with your personal ethics. Which is something to think about when we wonder why we see the type of media coverage and "clickbait" style published articles that are so prevalent...

ImperfectPixie

You would also be out of a job if you tried to use a less enticing title that aligned with your personal ethics. Which is something to think about when we wonder why we see the type of media coverage and "clickbait" style published articles that are so prevalent...
Which is a huge problem and only appears to be getting worse.

rowrbazzle

You don't have any evidence they are not, but are fine implying it anyway. See...it works both ways.

P.S. I said it's possible and it's just as possible they made errors in their findings. It's also just as possible all findings are correct. WAIT AND SEE was the point. Nothing more.

It really doesn't.

And, no, I don't agree that the researchers lying for monetary gain or making errors is just as possible as them telling the truth. I don't think those outcomes are remotely similar in their likelihoods.

davis_unoxx

Ahhh the good old days. I don’t know about the 80s but in the 90s PI was a lot of fun. It‘s too bad kids today can’t see that place in action. They could learn it’s possible to actually socialize and meet people in the flesh without an app and all the dumb things you did were nothing more than urban legends the next day as opposed to viral videos someone posts on Facebook or Instagram. Sorry for the tangent...back to the great mask debate:)
I totally wish it was still open! I’m from New England and was in Paris last summer for a month. Crazy how much less Europeans were on their phones and actually socializing with those around them. Think Disney will ever have clubs again?

Calmdownnow

On a more serious note about the Astrazeneca vaccine -- the company appears to have drug production facilities in the UK, Sweden (may just save their bacon from their herd immunity experiment) and Maryland in the U.S. so there could be prospects for early vaccine availability on the East Coast and, of course Washington DC, if the vaccine proves successful.

wannabeBelle

I don’t think the cruiselines will start up again until borders are open and international travel is happening.
Interesting to know. For the cost of taking care of the crew, why can't the all cruise lines work with airlines to have a cruise crew only flight? And ground transportation the same way?
As far as crew members returning, they've been on for months, how many will be willing to return at all?
I dont know if I disagree LUVMCO. I have a cruise in September that I hope will go. For the near future, I have heard some rumors of cruises of 3 and 4 day durations which would leave out of Florida, go their own island that are usually in the Bahamas and back to Florida to allow them to better control where people go and limit the interaction from other countries. Don't know how likely that is, but it is a consideration.
I agree Patcheslee, I think it would be very hard to get people back even just logistically. I am not sure about the crew that was already on board. As you said after being onboard for so many months, I'm sure they'd be happy to go home and stay there for a while at least. I do love cruising so this is a very sad situation all the way around for that.
Marie

Calmdownnow

to allow them to better control where people go and limit the interaction from other countries
I think you are seeing this from the wrong angle: do countries in the Carib., which may have limited ICU facilities, really want daily influxes of thousands of Americans when infection rates are still high in the U.S. They are desperate for the tourism income, but must be worried that interaction with cruise guests will infect their population.

Miss Bella

I dont know if I disagree LUVMCO. I have a cruise in September that I hope will go. For the near future, I have heard some rumors of cruises of 3 and 4 day durations which would leave out of Florida, go their own island that are usually in the Bahamas and back to Florida to allow them to better control where people go and limit the interaction from other countries. Don't know how likely that is, but it is a consideration.
I agree Patcheslee, I think it would be very hard to get people back even just logistically. I am not sure about the crew that was already on board. As you said after being onboard for so many months, I'm sure they'd be happy to go home and stay there for a while at least. I do love cruising so this is a very sad situation all the way around for that.
Marie
I think international flying will resume by then. Some European countries are opening their borders this Summer. Italy and Greece are opening In June. I agree it will most likely just be the Dream or Fantasy short cruises for the first couple of months. Other cruiselines have laid out similar plans and Disney’s a follower. It’s definitely more of challenge for the cruise industry to restart than any other form of tourism.

wannabeBelle

I think you are seeing this from the wrong angle: do countries in the Carib., which may have limited ICU facilities, really want daily influxes of thousands of Americans when infection rates are still high in the U.S. They are desperate for the tourism income, but must be worried that interaction with cruise guests will infect their population.
That too. Marie

Miss Bella

We don’t know what the infection rate in the US will look like in August or September. It’s all speculation at this point. It is only May after all. It seems like this has beeen going on for 2 years not 2 months.

wannabeBelle

I think international flying will resume by then. Some European countries are opening their borders this Summer. Italy and Greece are opening In June. I agree it will most likely just be the Dream or Fantasy short cruises for the first couple of months. Other cruiselines have laid out similar plans and Disney’s a follower. It’s definitely more of challenge for the cruise industry to restart than any other form of tourism.
Thankfully the cruise I have in September is docking in Florida so international travel wont be an issue for me for that. That cruise is supposed to go to Mexico and Castaway Cay. It remains to be seen if we do more sea days, dock twice at CC or if the cruise is just reduced by a night, if we have to eliminate the Mexico stop. The European cruise I had for August got moved to next summer with Celebrity. It would have been worrisome with the factors of international flight, the ability of the cruise ship to dock, plus all of the countries that we would be visiting. so it was the smarter move to just postpone. Thanks, Marie

Calmdownnow

Perhaps the parks will begin by capping capacity at something substantially lower than 30%
An interesting thought might be re-opening MK on a "party" only basis. Have a morning breakfast party for a couple of hours, separately ticketed of course, for a limited number of guests with a food offering (book your socially distanced table in advance). Clear out those guests, then offer your mid day lunch party on the same basis, followed by an evening offering, same basis. May be 5-7% of capacity at any one time, but you still get a substantial number of people through the gates in a safer and more controlled manner. Perhaps limit the number of parties a guest can attend in any one day. 3 lots of guests paying premium prices (but not using daily tickets, hoppers or APs) gives a decent and guaranteed minimum income to meet staffing costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom