Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Thank you. It was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I think the cruise business is going to be pretty rough for the rest of this year. It depends on international guests and not just locals. Plus what ports will be accepting cruise ships this year? Already the demand for 2021 cruises is up by as much as 40% industry wide. I know I’ll cruise next year once all this craziness is over. Disney will survive, no doubt about that. People want their Disney fix so they’ll come back. The question is how long it will take to get to that point. For now I relive my memories of how much fun our family has had over the years at Disney. And I look forward to when we can all be together again for another Disney vacation 🙂

The cruise industry will certainly take much longer to recover than all other segments of travel and tourism. DCL is in a slightly better position due to targeting a younger demographic. For most cruise lines they are dealing with a large number of people contained in a confined space with common dining areas AND they attract a large percentage of the most vulnerable age population to COVID-19.

Unless there was pre-departure antibody testing followed by daily infection testing of all passengers that don't have antibodies, there is no way I would recommend a cruise to anybody over age 60 until they have been vaccinated. The conditions for an outbreak on a cruise ship are just too ideal.

Polynesia

The cruise industry will certainly take much longer to recover than all other segments of travel and tourism. DCL is in a slightly better position due to targeting a younger demographic. For most cruise lines they are dealing with a large number of people contained in a confined space with common dining areas AND they attract a large percentage of the most vulnerable age population to COVID-19.

Unless there was pre-departure antibody testing followed by daily infection testing of all passengers that don't have antibodies, there is no way I would recommend a cruise to anybody over age 60 until they have been vaccinated. The conditions for an outbreak on a cruise ship are just too ideal.
I have been on several Disney cruises and will not go on another until my entire family is vaccinated. Being at sea and getting sick will be less than ideal. I’m hopeful by sometime next year we’ll be able to go. The key to all of this is patience.

JoeCamel

How about if you are 65 and have tested positive for antibodies? Would you go on a cruise?

Winter

Hate to be that guy, but as the first post on this thread doesn't show any information itself, and theres 1000 pages on this thread, I have no other way of finding this out, so I have to choice but to ask.

What's the general consensus on what disney will probably do about the coronavirus?

Polynesia

Hate to be that guy, but as the first post on this thread doesn't show any information itself, and theres 1000 pages on this thread, I have no other way of finding this out, so I have to choice but to ask.

What's the general consensus on what disney will probably do about the coronavirus?
Everyone has a differing opinion. Some think June 1 is the date they’ll open. Others think January next year. I’m not sure Disney knows exactly what they’ll do. Shanghai opens next Monday with Hong Kong most likely shortly after them. Disney will probably monitor how that goes. The US parks are different though. China can require their guests to wear masks. Here people are revolting against that. That might be a factor of when to open. I assume Disney is preparing as they are closely watching the numbers. If the numbers spike drastically I can’t see them opening back up this soon. This morning Orange County reported that 90% of their people think things are opening too soon. (According to their poll). And Florida is taking it pretty slow compared to other states. It’s just a wait and see situation for businesses and the public.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This isn't Disney, but Cedar Fair, the owner of Knotts Berry Farm, is saying that some/or all of their parks could remain closed for the rest of 2020. I don't believe they have any parks in the Flordia region but have no doubt that if a big amusement park company is putting it out there, that Disney very much sees their reopening as months away at least.

That’s worse news for DLR as they have several parks in CA. :(

Kevin_W

Peter Pan's Shadow

The last few pages here have posted a lot about infected bus drivers and Walmart employees, etc. Was listening to a stream regarding Covid-19 stats today and still an amazing survival rate for those under 65 (with the majority being asymptomatic). And this was what caught my attention, the #1 and #2 comorbidity factors are obesity and pulmonary issues. So overweight and life long smokers (even though there has been some data saying there's a slight benefit from just nicotine). USA is one of the more obese countries in the world of not the most. Not sure what this means, but kind of put some things in perspective for me.

celluloid

I will preface this with the humble I don't know.

Deductive reasoning at the moment including the actual phrasing and PR of the company not saying they will or will not, but allow bookings for June leads me to believe there is still a good chance to presume early July is their best timeframe right now to reopen.(beyond Disney Springs and some activities) In a business sense.
We know Paris is a different dynamic and is in Mid July, but early July may be the push right now for the WDW Resort having its theme parks and hotels open because May and June have probably seen bookings drop below anything profitable and they don't want to reopen if the climate suddenly gets worse or gets no better. They know that the Cast Members they are saving money on not having are taken care of until July as well because that is when the Unemployment Furlough program time is up. They buy more time and save money and then Train the CMs with the last week of June first week of July. It is the hopes that social Distancing by then is lax in comparison and the concern is not as strong for people traveling far has lessened to where people will fly and have a sense of financial security in vacations.
Now that the parks have reduced capital spending, they know that the big things to draw the APs in will have a pull for them to renew, they did not want to open anything and waste money on opening attractions that will not be attractions is the Passholder pase gets it free with their added days, nor will people be traveling from overseas. Best to use the attractions as pulls when things get better and your Annual Passholders will renew and people from out of state overseas can actually afford to visit and spend their money on your investments.

I would like to close with the disclaimer these are educated guesses at best, but it makes the mose sense.

Tink242424

I suppose that a logical question you might want to ask policy makers is "why can't these homes" get relief from suffering in such extreme circumstances, rather than arguing that others shouldn't get relief and support.
I'm not against helping people but the scale of this is just not sustainable. People should not feel free to just "sit at home" and collect unemployment because they are too scared to go to work. The money doesn't just grow on trees and you can be sure we all pay for them to stay at home. That cost is passed on to us all.

Now what happens when there are more people at home collecting than working? The money isn't going to be there for anyone as the working people will lose their jobs and it will all collapse. I hate the sentiment of just let me sit home and collect.

I'm all for helping people in the interim while they find a new job. It should be a safety net not a lifestyle. And the reason why these homes can't get relief is the scale of this. We have never seen this before in our lifetimes and even during the great depression we had a different way of life. We need to be thinking about solutions of how to get people back to work and the economy going again. I'm not saying it should be a free for all but the steps that have been taken for the currently open stores/offices should be applied across the board and allow everyone to get back to work.

ImperfectPixie

I'm not against helping people but the scale of this is just not sustainable. People should not feel free to just "sit at home" and collect unemployment because they are too scared to go to work. The money doesn't just grow on trees and you can be sure we all pay for them to stay at home. That cost is passed on to us all.

Now what happens when there are more people at home collecting than working? The money isn't going to be there for anyone as the working people will lose their jobs and it will all collapse. I hate the sentiment of just let me sit home and collect.

I'm all for helping people in the interim while they find a new job. It should be a safety net not a lifestyle. And the reason why these homes can't get relief is the scale of this. We have never seen this before in our lifetimes and even during the great depression we had a different way of life. We need to be thinking about solutions of how to get people back to work and the economy going again. I'm not saying it should be a free for all but the steps that have been taken for the currently open stores/offices should be applied across the board and allow everyone to get back to work.
Please stop harping on people collecting unemployment. I don't know a single person who would rather be sitting home right now, and NO ONE asked for the pandemic.

ImperfectPixie

A better, more important question, is what happens when everyone returns to work? Do you not understand how contagious this virus is?

CLEtoWDW

A better, more important question, is what happens when everyone returns to work? Do you not understand how contagious this virus is?
Literally nobody knows the answer to your first question. We theorize that cases will spike again after we reopen but think about all the aspects we have gotten wrong to this point. Heck it wasn’t until just a few weeks ago that we discovered that asymptomatic carriers can actually spread the virus. Also, the virus is more contagious than originally estimated but also far less deadly than originally projected. We can’t allow “maybes” and “in theory’s” to control our lives. It’s time to reopen the economy and allow people to get their lives back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom