Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Just a little historical perspective on the reliance on vaccinations.

Never in the history of mankind has there been a successfully developed mRNA vaccine

So I’m guessing you don’t count Influenza, Measles, Rubella, or Mumps to name a few. These are all RNA viruses.

Don’t know why you are calling it mRNA, mRNA is a phenomenon only found in eukaryote cells and refers to RNA strands copied from DNA in the nucleus of cells that then leaves the nucleus and carries a message (m) to orgenelles to preform a function. SARS 2 has no nucleus, no DNA, and is not a cell.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Literally nobody knows the answer to your first question. We theorize that cases will spike again after we reopen but think about all the aspects we have gotten wrong to this point. Heck it wasn’t until just a few weeks ago that we discovered that asymptomatic carriers can actually spread the virus. Also, the virus is more contagious than originally estimated but also far less deadly than originally projected. We can’t allow “maybes” and “in theory’s” to control our lives. It’s time to reopen the economy and allow people to get their lives back.
I don't know what planet you've been living on but I've been reading about asymptomatic spread since the virus arrived in the US.

ETA: And less deadly does not necessarily equal less costly in human life. There are many who will suffer long term health consequences due to this virus.

DisneyDebRob

Literally nobody knows the answer to your first question. We theorize that cases will spike again after we reopen but think about all the aspects we have gotten wrong to this point. Heck it wasn’t until just a few weeks ago that we discovered that asymptomatic carriers can actually spread the virus. Also, the virus is more contagious than originally estimated but also far less deadly than originally projected. We can’t allow “maybes” and “in theory’s” to control our lives. It’s time to reopen the economy and allow people to get their lives back.
The less deadly part is true, and I think all of us are happy about the numbers not being as big as once thought. The deaths may be lower but they are also learning a lot about what this actually does to organs in the body that will affect some, whether young or old, in the future. So it’s serious, not just a death count serious.
They were not WRONG in all aspects as you said. They didn’t know and were learning as more info was gathered. Today we know a lot more about Covid, not all but a lot. Keep learning and adjust as we get new info.

ImperfectPixie

this is happening. For some, it is faster than they are comfortable with. For others, it is slower than they want.
I would be FINE with it IF people WOULD FOLLOW THE STINKIN' SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS. (Sorry...not yelling at you.)

We're seeing evidence from all over the country of people too stupid to realize that being asked to wear a mask and stay 6' from others IS NOT A VIOLATION OF RIGHTS and DOES slow the spread of the virus. Americans today are too ignorant and selfish for me to have any confidence that we'll be able to re-open the economy safely. Unfortunately, the decisions made by these people affect many more than just themselves.

Last edited:

Tink242424

Please stop harping on people collecting unemployment. I don't know a single person who would rather be sitting home right now, and NO ONE asked for the pandemic.
I don't think you read my actual response. I'm not harping on people collecting unemployment. My problem is with the statement from the OP of "I’m personally content staying on unemployment" which I have a problem with. No one should be content staying on unemployment. It will just make it worse for everyone in the long run.

ImperfectPixie

Probably look at some procedures that essential businesses utilized during this. Grocery stores had to deal with this as an example. That is one component.
Absolutely. And as we've seen with at least 1 Walmart in MA, some companies are better at it than others. I've also read a post recently that had a link to an article about a company telling it's employees that if they want to wear a mask, they'd better stay home. :mad:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We're seeing evidence from all over the country of people too stupid to realize that being asked to wear a mask and stay 6' from other IS NOT A VIOLATION OF RIGHTS and DOES slow the spread of the virus. Americans today are too ignorant and selfish for me to have any confidence that we'll be able to re-open the economy safely. Unfortunately, the decisions made by these people affect many more than just themselves.

to be honest, this ragging on others isn’t helpful. I have seen too much of it and I am trying to avoid doing so myself. People are amazing. I don’t know every individual’s circumstance. That is all I am going to say.

Rider

“I am definitely dying to go,” he says. He recently had a short staycation in a hotel near Disney.
“I was literally maybe five minutes from the park, and it just made me sick knowing that I couldn't even really drive over there because there’s nothing to see,” he says.

Yikes. That is some quote...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You really think the majority of Americans want to pay for people to just stay home and not work? I don't know where everyone thinks this money is going to come from... SMH... 🤦‍♀️
The bill passed the Senate unanimously. That just doesn’t happen anymore. I would say the vast majority of Americans were probably in favor of it. I don’t really care to debate the merits of a stimulus bill intended to help millions of people pay their bills and feed their families. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. This is not the place for that type of discussion anyway.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Anyone know what the numbers are for damage short or long term for people not in the high risk group? I'm hearing it a lot lately by lay people during "debates" and don't hear it much at all in what I'm hearing and reading from medical pros. But it seems to be the big response when someone weighs the economy vs at risk groups when people are "discussing" pros and cons of opening up or staying shut down. Maybe I need to add some medical pros to my research list?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think you read my actual response. I'm not harping on people collecting unemployment. My problem is with the statement from the OP of "I’m personally content staying on unemployment" which I have a problem with. No one should be content staying on unemployment. It will just make it worse for everyone in the long run.
I don’t think you read his actual response. He said he’s content to stay on unemployment until it’s safe to go back to work. You conveniently left out the last part because it didn’t fit your narrative. He then clarified that his employer is still closed so he’s not choosing unemployment over work. He has no job to return to yet. Wasn‘t the whole point of the bill that boosted unemployment to bridge the time between when an employer shuts down and when they re-open? What am I missing?

DisneyDebRob

Anyone know what the numbers are for damage short or long term for people not in the high risk group? I'm hearing it a lot lately by lay people during "debates" and don't hear it much at all in what I'm hearing and reading from medical pros. But it seems to be the big response when someone weighs the economy vs at risk groups when people are "discussing" pros and cons of opening up or staying shut down. Maybe I need to add some medical pros to my research list?
This is the best out there for your question. But there are many out there. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ce-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Wait, who are you again? Every time I pop into this thread there's someone new (though mostly a variation on an already established theme/character).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There‘s still so much we don’t know. Every day something new pops up as a possible side effect or new symptom but most of it is not proven yet. Nobody knows the long term effects. The oldest cases are 6 months ago. It will probably be years before we know the full extent. If you look back to what we “knew” in Jan and Feb about the virus three quarters of it has probably already been disproven or changed. Imagine 6 months or a year from now how much will be different.

Kevin_W

The last few pages here have posted a lot about infected bus drivers and Walmart employees, etc. Was listening to a stream regarding Covid-19 stats today and still an amazing survival rate for those under 65 (with the majority being asymptomatic). And this was what caught my attention, the #1 and #2 comorbidity factors are obesity and pulmonary issues. So overweight and life long smokers (even though there has been some data saying there's a slight benefit from just nicotine). USA is one of the more obese countries in the world of not the most. Not sure what this means, but kind of put some things in perspective for me.

Very true. The owner of our company has communicated with us regularly and has pointed out that the 2 best ways to fight Covid are to be young and to be fit. We can't do anything about our age, but our fitness is largely in our control.

Peter Pan's Shadow

This is the best out there for your question. But there are many out there. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ce-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#
I just read the whole thing and it was interesting info regarding how other organs are at risk. And I agree that it's a danger that needs to be learned. However, I noticed all the data they're citing is from critical patients in hospitals. And it was always a small percentage of critically ill positive patients, which are already an extremely small percentage of people that have tested positive, which are a smallish percentage of our population. I'll keep looking for data, but I'm more interested in risk of any kind to people that are not in the high risk group (age and pre-existing comorbidities). I'm open to the idea, but haven't seen compelling data to suggest a common risk to people in non-risk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom