Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
WDW will be following how this goes..
Interesting. I assume as long as they don’t interact right at the table and just walk around it should work. I did hear on the earnings call that at Shanghai all characters would be in masks except for face characters which would be kept at least 6 feet from guests. In that case the other character could in theory get closer than 6 feet, but it seems like a risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

seabreezept813

I haven't seen data compiled anywhere as of yet, but a Walmart in Massachusetts had to close because 81 of it's workers tested positive, and another Walmart in Quincy, MA closed as well after 11 tested positive and one died - and they require masks to enter, have directional arrows and tape for line spacing, etc.

The first Walmart you’re referring to had cases in early April and did not shut down for cleaning or enforce masks right away.. such a shame could easily have been managed. My DH delivers for a food company in New England and when their warehouse had a small outbreak it was shut down right away. This is what Walmart should have done.

ImperfectPixie

The first Walmart you’re referring to had cases in early April and did not shut down for cleaning or enforce masks right away.. such a shame could easily have been managed. My DH delivers for a food company in New England and when their warehouse had a small outbreak it was shut down right away. This is what Walmart should have done.
Yeah...the mask didn't become a state requirement until recently, and the tape on the floor for directions and spacing as well as the plexi at check-out were a relatively recent thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We’ve learned so much from the early days of this. Unfortunately in cases like this...the hard way :(

I hope that this situation is a lesson to all businesses that employee safety needs to come first. Without the workers you are out of business.

Chi84

Premium Member
As per the governor's address this morning, 66% of new cases in NY came from people who were staying at home. Dont know what kind of wrinkle this puts on any of the stay at home orders or the levels to reopening. Marie
This is self-reported, and staying home means different things to different people. Staying home alone is quite different from staying home with family members who are going to work every day. I know people who are going to stores almost every day and consider themselves as staying at home because they aren’t going to work.

ImperfectPixie

This is self-reported, and staying home means different things to different people. Staying home alone is quite different from staying home with family members who are going to work every day. I know people who are going to stores almost every day and consider themselves as staying at home because they aren’t going to work.
And I suspect that's part of the problem. I'm sure there are people who wear masks at work, and then don't when they are elsewhere in public...so many things that should have been stressed by officials early on to ensure as few possible holes in safety procedures being followed.

seabreezept813

We’ve learned so much from the early days of this. Unfortunately in cases like this...the hard way :(

I hope that this situation is a lesson to all businesses that employee safety needs to come first. Without the workers you are out of business.
Truly, the city actually forced it to close, Walmart did not willingly shut down. To bring it back to Disney, prime example of what not to do as a large corporation.

hopemax

As per the governor's address this morning, 66% of new cases in NY came from people who were staying at home. Dont know what kind of wrinkle this puts on any of the stay at home orders or the levels to reopening. Marie
What I wish was asked was how many people they were exposed to, regardless of their "geography." An athlete here in CO got sick, and was surprised, because he had only been out of the house 4 times and never out of his car. But as he explained, it turns out there were several people coming to his house.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

DisneyCane

I think it reinforces where most spread occurs which is what several studies have concluded. That is prolonged, close contact which happens easily at home, in a nursing home or a meat packing plant.

Imagineer45

"The three Disneyland resort hotels are no longer accepting reservations before July as the closure of Disney’s Anaheim theme parks stretches toward two months amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

New reservations for the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel are currently available for travel dates on July 1 and later, according to Disneyland officials.

Dining reservations and bookable merchandise experiences at the Disneyland resort are also unavailable until the Anaheim parks set a reopening date."

I believe the current earliest available dates for the domestic parks are June 1 for WDW and July 1 for DLR. Internationally, SDL is obviously opening May 11, HKDL seems to be making preparations for a reopening in late May/early June, DLP has their earliest available date as July 15, and I am unsure what TDL is doing.

This isn't Disney, but Cedar Fair, the owner of Knotts Berry Farm, is saying that some/or all of their parks could remain closed for the rest of 2020. I don't believe they have any parks in the Flordia region but have no doubt that if a big amusement park company is putting it out there, that Disney very much sees their reopening as months away at least.

DKampy

I’m going to guess Minnesota or Iowa, both have been on an upward slide. Wisconsin has a huge upswell in new cases last week due to a meat packing plant outbreak, but our % positive, average new cases and hospitalizations now appear to be either negative trending or static.

My first thought was Minnesota...I live in Wisconsin too...my brother lives in Minnesota so I have been keeping up with that state as well...I have been concerned by what I am seeing there. Their rate of new cases were well below ours...now their rates of new cases seem to be easily surpassing us even with the Brown County meat packing plant flare up. I know we seem to be on a negative trend with percent positive and I have not seen where Minnesota is on that...but they seem to be consistent with us on ramping up testing.

DKampy

Yes, the number who've tested positive is muddled because of availability of testing and who gets tested.

What can't be as muddled is the number of deaths. Habeus corpus.

Even with the large decline of deaths in the NY and NJ area, the number of daily deaths in the U.S. is still at a plateau. Which means there are now portions of the country outside NY/NJ whose death counts are going up.

View attachment 468911

Everyone should be checking their state's daily death rates for a better picture of what's happening locally.

I agree...however it is not as easily seen in some states as others which see hundreds of deaths every day...My state's record is 19 in a single day so far...so we are constantly up and down between 1 and 19 deaths since this has started, but I do know Hospitalizations including ICU are down...so that is what I look at for now

Polynesia

Thank you. It was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I think the cruise business is going to be pretty rough for the rest of this year. It depends on international guests and not just locals. Plus what ports will be accepting cruise ships this year? Already the demand for 2021 cruises is up by as much as 40% industry wide. I know I’ll cruise next year once all this craziness is over. Disney will survive, no doubt about that. People want their Disney fix so they’ll come back. The question is how long it will take to get to that point. For now I relive my memories of how much fun our family has had over the years at Disney. And I look forward to when we can all be together again for another Disney vacation 🙂

Lilofan

Thank you. It was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I think the cruise business is going to be pretty rough for the rest of this year. It depends on international guests and not just locals. Plus what ports will be accepting cruise ships this year? Already the demand for 2021 cruises is up by as much as 40% industry wide. I know I’ll cruise next year once all this craziness is over. Disney will survive, no doubt about that. People want their Disney fix so they’ll come back. The question is how long it will take to get to that point. For now I relive my memories of how much fun our family has had over the years at Disney. And I look forward to when we can all be together again for another Disney vacation 🙂
DCL will survive, can't say that all DCL cast will make it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom