Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp85

Then I would prefer reduction to fully experience the attraction. In HM, for example, it's been mentioned before how CMs rush guests onto the attraction so that you don't have time to experience the changing portrait of Master Gracey or hear the first part of the stretch room scene. At least by reducing the number of guests, you can experience the attraction as it was intended.

Agree with this. These types of things are what makes Disney parks special and immersive. If I wanted to reduce my experience and simply jump on rides, I'd head over to Six Flags.

DisneyCane

But I can think of queues before the ride: HM (Portrait Room) and squeezing together to get on the Doom Buggies, TOT: same concept together in a room watching The Twilight Zone intro, ROTS: on the "shuttle" before arriving on the star destroyer, etc.
I mentioned those in my post. I don't really know how to interpret them with respect to these studies. The contact is close but it is not very prolonged (except in FoP when there is a delay which happens 75% of the time when I ride).

Here is what I don’t get. We are now entering our 8th week of stay at home lockdown where I live. Only essential travel is allowed so grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. Outside of essential workers very few people are spending time in places where they would have very close prolonged exposure to anyone else. In my county of around 800,000 people we are still seeing around 100 new cases a day and that’s those tested so who knows how many more are actually infected and are asymptomatic. So if very few people are having prolonged close contact with strangers and that’s the only way to get sick how could we still have so many new cases every day? Something doesn‘t add up. I’d really like to believe we are all safe anywhere as long as we don’t have prolonged exposure. It would make everything less stressful and provide an easy path to opening everything up now, but I think it’s a little bit of wishful thinking.

It is a good question. What county are you in out of curiosity? I think the only way to get an answer is to contact trace the new cases. If testing is increasing then it is likely that the actual number of cases is dropping even though the new positive cases are staying the same.

I'm sure there are a not insignificant number of people who still don't follow proper hand hygiene. I could envision people touching call boxes to get into neighborhoods, elevator buttons, doors to businesses and other common surfaces like mailboxes in apartment complexes and then not washing their hands afterwards.

Also, asymptomatic people in a household could spread it to others and it might take several transmissions (which could be weeks) to infect somebody that becomes symptomatic. The "seed" for a new case today could have existed 6 weeks ago or more.

Incomudro

Ironically, you are at a higher risk at a church service than in an outdoor stadium. It doesn't matter that there are 80,000 people at the football game. It's the type of contact that mattes most, not the sheer number of people at a gathering. Church is indoors and enclosed and you are likely to be in prolonged and close contact with more people than at a football game.

The biggest risk at a stadium is going to be when everybody tries to exit simultaneously when the game ends and people are packed shoulder to shoulder moving slowly towards the exit. If an orderly exit plan could be developed to keep that from happening, bathrooms capacity controlled and lines (security, concession and bathroom) were socially distanced, a football game would be relatively low risk, especially if fans wear masks most of the time.
Don't forget the "sign of peace" handshake in churches.
The entire congregation shaking hands with everyone within reach.

Chip Chipperson

I have ppl telling me it's overblown because their early 20yo kid tested positive and just had a fever for a couple days, "everyone's already had it", ect. Fine enjoy your opinion 6ft away from me, not right next to me. Even my in-laws are blowing off precautions because "if we did, we die" opinion. Still not coming to our house since they can't even respect our wishes.

Same here. We have family that works in grocery stores telling us we need to stop by and visit them. There's zero chance of that happening, especially since they have also visited other people who also think this is no big deal. We love them, but I'm not putting my wife or myself at risk because they think they know better. Video calls will have to be good enough for now.

ImperfectPixie

Same here. We have family that works in grocery stores telling us we need to stop by and visit them. There's zero chance of that happening, especially since they have also visited other people who also think this is no big deal. We love them, but I'm not putting my wife or myself at risk because they think they know better. Video calls will have to be good enough for now.
AMEN.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with this and I’m following the recommendation.

If its really true that you will only get sick from prolonged exposure to someone infected then grocery store workers are pretty low risk. The cashier only has exposure to a customer for a minute or 2 while they pay and even then it could be touchless. They are still around co-workers too, but probably not in close proximity for extended periods of time. First responders and medical professionals would still be really high risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is a good question. What county are you in out of curiosity? I think the only way to get an answer is to contact trace the new cases. If testing is increasing then it is likely that the actual number of cases is dropping even though the new positive cases are staying the same.

I'm sure there are a not insignificant number of people who still don't follow proper hand hygiene. I could envision people touching call boxes to get into neighborhoods, elevator buttons, doors to businesses and other common surfaces like mailboxes in apartment complexes and then not washing their hands afterwards.

Also, asymptomatic people in a household could spread it to others and it might take several transmissions (which could be weeks) to infect somebody that becomes symptomatic. The "seed" for a new case today could have existed 6 weeks ago or more.
Montgomery county PA. I don’t know if testing is increasing. We did have a drive up testing site setup back in March which closed but was replaced with a new one in April. We still have a large portion of cases and deaths in nursing homes which is still close contact between staff and patients but that’s not the full picture.

Chip Chipperson

If its really true that you will only get sick from prolonged exposure to someone infected then grocery store workers are pretty low risk. The cashier only has exposure to a customer for a minute or 2 while they pay and even then it could be touchless. They are still around co-workers too, but probably not in close proximity for extended periods of time. First responders and medical professionals would still be really high risk.

I have my doubts about needing prolonged exposure to catch it. Plenty of grocery store workers in NJ have contracted it and the average amount of time it takes to check out and bag an order of groceries isn't very long. Realistically, if it takes 15 minutes then you either have too many items or the cashier is very slow. I guess the extreme coupon people could have orders that large, but all of the stores around here limit how many of the same coupon can be used and how many of each sale item you're allowed to purchase so we don't get the shoppers that you see on TLC with a 10-year supply of deodorant on a shelf in the garage.

ImperfectPixie

I have my doubts about needing prolonged exposure to catch it. Plenty of grocery store workers in NJ have contracted it and the average amount of time it takes to check out and bag an order of groceries isn't very long. Realistically, if it takes 15 minutes then you either have too many items or the cashier is very slow. I guess the extreme coupon people could have orders that large, but all of the stores around here limit how many of the same coupon can be used and how many of each sale item you're allowed to purchase so we don't get the shoppers that you see on TLC with a 10-year supply of deodorant on a shelf in the garage.
In the case of grocery store workers and people in similar situations, it's the sheer volume of people they come into contact with that dramatically increases their chances of becoming infected. Though I do question the prolonged exposure part, too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Is there a reason why this is only affecting Gatwick (for the time being)? I'm obviously not familiar with airports over there.
The UK has two large airports, both in London. Gatwick has tended to serve more of the tourism type flights, while Heathrow has served more of the business market. It seems that the two large UK international carries, Virgin and BA are pulling out of Gatwick and moving everything to Heathrow in an effort to reduce costs and handle a drop in demand.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I believe you misunderstand how fear based programming works.
Guess we look at the news media differently. I have never once been “scared” or was in “fear” ever watching any news cast. I take it all in, do more research and come to my own conclusions.
Are you trying to convince me? Or yourself? No need to answer.

Of course the media cares about ratings. They need to stay afloat. It’s like saying Disney needs to make more money with hard ticket events. They need to for their stockholders. All business does the same thing whether it’s the news or a business. To think otherwise is just not grasping what it’s about
Again, your using accepted truths as a rebuttal. At the same time, your response in essence excuses a business from being held accountable for morals and standards that they themselves once abided by. If you believe that media outlets of this day and age, of all forms do not heavily rely on psychological tactics to persuade you to not only keep tuning in, but also too persuade your thoughts on a subconscious level deeper than you would want to know, then you are not grasping the reality you live in.

trainplane3

Brief London airport overview: Heathrow is the most convenient airport for London, other than arguably the tiny City Airport that cannot handle large jets, and deep-pocketed business travelers prioritize convenience. Even though Heathrow is larger than Gatwick, it is still small compared to other international hubs, severely constrained, and expensive to operate at, so major carriers (primarily British Airways/Virgin Atlantic a.k.a. the two largest British intercontinental carriers) will put their leisure destinations (Orlando, Las Vegas, Greek Isles, etc.) at Gatwick to avoid upsetting business travelers. With the major decrease in passengers, flight cancellations are allowing the large carriers to consolidate their operations at the preferred Heathrow for convenience and cost savings.
The UK has two large airports, both in London. Gatwick has tended to serve more of the tourism type flights, while Heathrow has served more of the business market. It seems that the two large UK international carries, Virgin and BA are pulling out of Gatwick and moving everything to Heathrow in an effort to reduce costs and handle a drop in demand.
Good to know. I knew Gatwick was smaller but wasn't aware of how they have different focuses.

Disstevefan1

"ZooTampa at Lowry Park announced Monday that it has received approval to reopen on June 1 with modified operations.

A 17-page plan that was submitted to county officials on Friday calls for a reopening plan that would limit the number of guests to 50 percent of capacity and limit indoor venues there to 25 percent capacity. Six feet or more of social distancing space will be required and enforced, a zoo news release said."

Other modifications include:

• Adding safety and thermal monitoring stations at our single point of entry and hiring on-premise EMTs.
  • Providing PPE to employees and offering disposable masks to any guest free of charge.
  • Enforcing constraints to prevent the congregation of any group of more than 10 people.
  • Restricting close contact in the park through clear and enforced physical distancing guidelines .
  • Communicating new safety protocols with mandated training for every zoo employee.
  • Zoo School, the on-site Childhood Education Center, will follow the Department of Children & Family and Hillsborough County childcare licensing guidelines with an anticipated opening of mid-June.
  • Shift the start of Zoo Camp to start the week of June 22.

Tampa will be a good test case. A snapshot of cases in Tampa must be made just prior to June 1 as a baseline.

Calmdownnow

and so it could be a coincidence in some cases that the patients also have the coronavirus."
UK health authorities wrote to all doctors 10 days ago warning of an outbreak of toxic shock syndrome/Kawasaki type symptoms in children believed to have a link to COVID. Doctors in Italy and Spain have also identified cases. Not looking like a coincidence when symptoms are appearing across at least 4 countries heavily hit by COVID infections.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't forget the "sign of peace" handshake in churches.
The entire congregation shaking hands with everyone within reach.

Almost all Catholic dioceses stopped physical contact (handshake, kiss, hug) for the Sign of Peace a few weeks before the lockdowns when the U.S. was just at the point of urging social distancing. Receiving from a common cup was also eliminated most places. Other things that entailed people touching the same things (passing a collection plate, 'bring up the gifts') were also suppressed.

Until widespread vaccinations knock out CV19, the Sign of Peace will be just a friendly wave and nod or omitted completely. Churches could also see a lot of their activities limited to just liturgical services and social welfare (food pantries) with a continuing ban on social events like dinners and dances.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Almost all Catholic dioceses stopped physical contact (handshake, kiss, hug) for the Sign of Peace a few weeks before the lockdowns when the U.S. was just at the point of urging social distancing. Receiving from a common cup was also eliminated most places. Other things that entailed people touching the same things (passing a collection plate, 'bring up the gifts') were also suppressed.

Until widespread vaccinations knock out CV19, the Sign of Peace will be just a friendly wave and nod or omitted completely. Churches could also see a lot of their activities limited to just liturgical services and social welfare (food pantries) with a continuing ban on social events like dinners and dances.
Our churches haven't opened yet, but I'm pretty sure these guidelines will be in place for a while, when they finally do.

seascape

Montgomery county PA. I don’t know if testing is increasing. We did have a drive up testing site setup back in March which closed but was replaced with a new one in April. We still have a large portion of cases and deaths in nursing homes which is still close contact between staff and patients but that’s not the full picture.
I didn't know you were from Montgomery County. Your Governor went to High School there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom