Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

twebber55

Interesting. We had a situation at work where an employee's wife was in close contact with a person who was confirmed to have Covid-19. Neither the employee or even his wife were allowed to be tested because they had no symptoms.
that is interesting here in Tennessee or at least Hamilton Co where Chattanooga is anyone can go regardless if you have symptoms or not

wishiwere@wdw

The same here in JAX. You do need to have symptoms - even a cough is enough. They will also test any first responders, etc even if they have no symptoms, along with anyone who has been exposed to someone who tested positive. But they are not running close to capacity as people aren't using them.

There are also multiple sites for those with referrals. Plus mobile sites set up in "at-risk" neighborhoods.
We’re at a point now here in Orange County that anyone can get tested even with no symptoms. I’m considering going once they add the anti-gen test just to see if I’ve already had it. It’s not really a bad thing as either way I’d be adding to their statistics.

wannabeBelle

We’re at a point now here in Orange County that anyone can get tested even with no symptoms. I’m considering going once they add the anti-gen test just to see if I’ve already had it. It’s not really a bad thing as either way I’d be adding to their statistics.
I'd like to do the same. The antibodies test would be more interesting to me, to see if I had it and didnt know it!! Marie

DisneyDebRob

Getting car jacked is also rare, that doesn't mean I dismiss it. My mention of fear is in regards to the narrative in which a majority of this virus is reported. The media (mainstream and YES including Fox) cares far more about ratings and revenue than they do about people's health. They push fear because it keeps people tuning in. "Think of the children" is a tactic often employed on these very forums in an effort to elicit an emotional appeal.

And to say "this could be something and needs more research" is an axiomatic truth that could be applied to any subject in the terms which you described.
Guess we look at the news media differently. I have never once been “scared” or was in “fear” ever watching any news cast. I take it all in, do more research and come to my own conclusions.
Of course the media cares about ratings. They need to stay afloat. It’s like saying Disney needs to make more money with hard ticket events. They need to for their stockholders. All business does the same thing whether it’s the news or a business. To think otherwise is just not grasping what it’s about.
We are finding out more and more about this virus and how it affects organs and how it could have long lasting affects for the young and old. That’s not scare tactics, that’s info I want for my family and others.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"ZooTampa at Lowry Park announced Monday that it has received approval to reopen on June 1 with modified operations.

A 17-page plan that was submitted to county officials on Friday calls for a reopening plan that would limit the number of guests to 50 percent of capacity and limit indoor venues there to 25 percent capacity. Six feet or more of social distancing space will be required and enforced, a zoo news release said."

Other modifications include:

• Adding safety and thermal monitoring stations at our single point of entry and hiring on-premise EMTs.
  • Providing PPE to employees and offering disposable masks to any guest free of charge.
  • Enforcing constraints to prevent the congregation of any group of more than 10 people.
  • Restricting close contact in the park through clear and enforced physical distancing guidelines .
  • Communicating new safety protocols with mandated training for every zoo employee.
  • Zoo School, the on-site Childhood Education Center, will follow the Department of Children & Family and Hillsborough County childcare licensing guidelines with an anticipated opening of mid-June.
  • Shift the start of Zoo Camp to start the week of June 22.

The zoo is probably a perfect venue to open with social distancing. I’d actually probably enjoy the zoo more if I had a 6 foot radius around me clear at all times. I am skeptical people will have the discipline to actually follow the rules, but if they do it should be a good test for opening a venue like WDW.

ImperfectPixie

Compounding Disney's problems is that SO MANY know they aren't good at enforcing their own rules. How can they possibly open and expect their guests to adhere to social distancing and mask wearing if they can't even keep people from lighting up a cigarette where they aren't supposed to, or keep people from line-jumping? Hell, they don't even give their CMs backup when guests are screaming at them over something that is the guest's fault to begin with...

Polynesia

that is interesting here in Tennessee or at least Hamilton Co where Chattanooga is anyone can go regardless if you have symptoms or not
There are some testing sites in Orange County that don’t require any symptoms. But other sites do. It’s sort of a mixture. I’ve also heard that they have more tests than people wanting to be tested at times. There are drive up, walk up and mobile sites. They’ve also targeted certain hot zip codes for testing. Seems like they’re trying to cover as many ways of being tested as possible.

I had heard reports about people smoking, line jumping and actin rude in all manner of situations. My experience when I was there this January was not once marred with any of the aforementioned actions. The vast majority of Disney World cast members truly lived up to the hype and maybe even the expense. I spent one week at Aulani last summer and again my whole family took away a real respect for the employees of Walt Disney. Again though if we had been paying regular rates theres no way I could say it was worth the expense but on both occasions utilized the renting of DVC points combined with some I bought. I am torn in one respect wanting the prices to come down but if the tradeoff is MASS CROWDS then I am not sure its wort the trade. I hope whatever happens after they get the parks open my future trips can live up to these very recent examples. (I added that last sentence when i realized my post had pretty much NO reason to be in this particular forum)

Chi84

Premium Member
Then why is bad guest behavior such a common occurrence? If Disney was known for enforcing rules, bad guest behavior would be rare.
Disney doesn't want to be "known for enforcing rules." In fact, that's the opposite of the vibe they are trying to create. I completely understand what you're saying, and I actually agree. But I can see Disney's side of this too.

DisneyCane

Research continues to point to the requirement of “prolonged exposure” in order to contract COVID. The odds of getting the virus from a random passerby are slim to none. Obviously, this is helpful given a lot of movement occurs at Disney Parks are very rarely would a guest be exposed to prolonged exposure.

This is very interesting and jibes with a European virologist I had seen interviewed a few weeks ago who reviewed studies out of China and Italy. The big question that hasn't been answered in these studies is what is the inflection point between short and prolonged exposure?

It is clear that very close and prolonged exposure (like in a small apartment, nursing home or meat packing plant) is very conducive to transmission. These studies indicate that unless somebody sneezes or coughs on you that a store isn't really conducive to transmission (if you don't touch your face and wash or sanitize your hands after leaving).

What is relevant to a theme park in particular is what point the exposure becomes prolonged. Based upon these studies, it seems to me that being on a ride is probably a very low risk, as long as hand sanitizer is used after you get off. The standby queue is probably a risk without some kind of distancing, FP queue probably less so. Stretching room and similar pre-show rooms are close but not very prolonged contact. TT design studio is pretty spread out by the screens but hand sanitizer after design is a must.

Dining areas are probably relatively low risk as well. I know the "phased plan" is using 6' distancing between tables but, except in booth seating, you aren't usually that close to the next table. Maybe booths need plexiglass dividers since you are seated back to back with the next table.

Kevin_W

The zoo is probably a perfect venue to open with social distancing. I’d actually probably enjoy the zoo more if I had a 6 foot radius around me clear at all times. I am skeptical people will have the discipline to actually follow the rules, but if they do it should be a good test for opening a venue like WDW.

My wife and I have talked about that since our zoo closed - that's an easy area to maintain distance and if you don't go in the few buildings you really don't have to touch anything.

peter11435

Then why is bad guest behavior such a common occurrence? If Disney was known for enforcing rules, bad guest behavior would be rare.
I think bad behavior is a common occurrence because some people behave badly everywhere, doesn’t matter where. It’s no more prevalent than anywhere else we are just more alert to it at Disney.

Schools strictly enforce rules but bad behavior is common. Some people will act irresponsibly regardless of perceived consequence.

When you consider that there are hundreds of thousands of guests across Disney’s properties every day, bad behavior is going to exist. The vast majority of guests do follow the rules and I think most have the perception that Disney enforces theirs. One in a million becomes noticeable when you deal with Disney numbers.

Chi84

Premium Member
My wife and I have talked about that since our zoo closed - that's an easy area to maintain distance and if you don't go in the few buildings you really don't have to touch anything.
We have a nearby arboretum with 16 miles of trails that is currently closed - no reason for people to be close to one another. Except in the bathrooms, which are required to be open as a necessary accommodation to people (especially to children and elderly people). That's where they can''t keep people apart, and I suspect that's why zoos and other such places are remaining closed. Until people can figure out how not to go to the bathroom, we're going to have a problem.

celluloid

They have closed specific schools in my area when a case of bacterial meningitis has been reported.

This is what was done for the Hong Kong flu - when students started getting sick (as I recall, there had to be certain %), the school they attended was closed for a couple of weeks for deep cleaning and students were quarantined. I suspect that this may be the plan when schools start up again - if cases of Covid-19 start to mushroom at a school, close it down and quarantine students. The same for businesses - close down for a specific period, and then reopen.

I should have specificed, canceling school as in planning to cancel a school year or semester long term for entire states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom