Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think bad behavior is a common occurrence because some people behave badly everywhere, doesn’t matter where. It’s no more prevalent than anywhere else we are just more alert to it at Disney.

Schools strictly enforce rules but bad behavior is common. Some people will act irresponsibly regardless of perceived consequence.

When you consider that there are hundreds of thousands of guests across Disney’s properties every day, bad behavior is going to exist. The vast majority of guests do follow the rules and I think most have the perception that Disney enforces theirs. One in a million becomes noticeable when you deal with Disney numbers.
I agree with this in general and I do feel it’s a minority of guests that cause the most problems. Disney does set themselves up for issues because they don’t want to be confrontational with customers. It’s a great strategy to keep guest satisfaction high but when certain people find out they take advantage. Just one example, drinks at self serve stations. For years Disney turned a blind eye to blatant theft of soda. To the point they finally put in chip readers on the cups rather than have CMs confront guests. I went to Hershey Park a few summers back and my son got a drink and sandwich from a Subway in the park. They had an outdoor soda fountain so he assumed he could refill the cup. The person working there firmly told him no refills. He was upset as a little kid getting yelled at by an adult stranger but he got over it. We went back the next year and when I asked where he wanted to eat he said anywhere but Subway. Disney doesn’t want people leaving with a bad taste in their mouth so they bend over backwards to make sure that doesn’t happen. It’s great customer service, however I would trust Hersheypark to be willing to enforce social distancing rules over Disney. I know most people will follow the rules but some will not. You can see from some of the posters here that a percentage of the population thinks the rules are not needed and this is basically a hoax. It’s going to be hard to get those people to follow rules especially if you don’t want to enforce them. Disney will strongly enforce rules related to guest safety so I hope they treat the new guidelines when the parks open as safety rules.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think bad behavior is a common occurrence because some people behave badly everywhere, doesn’t matter where. It’s no more prevalent than anywhere else we are just more alert to it at Disney.

Schools strictly enforce rules but bad behavior is common. Some people will act irresponsibly regardless of perceived consequence.

When you consider that there are hundreds of thousands of guests across Disney’s properties every day, bad behavior is going to exist. The vast majority of guests do follow the rules and I think most have the perception that Disney enforces theirs. One in a million becomes noticeable when you deal with Disney numbers.
I agree that most people do follow the rules, and Disney counts on that. They are willing to overlook a few rule-breakers rather than getting a reputation of hassling guests.

The people on these boards are Disney experts - they know every rule, the problems that led to it, when and where it was first adopted and how things were before the rule. I think this leads people here to believe that every person who doesn't follow a rule is doing so deliberately or trying to "game the system," when that may not be the case. Disney has to deal with the vast numbers of guests who aren't aware of every rule. Rather than put up signs every two feet telling people what is not allowed, they're willing to overlook a few infractions.

Obviously, I'm not talking about infractions like line-cutting or being overtly rude to other guests. Everyone knows those things are wrong. But other rules like resort parking restrictions or pass holder entrances are unique to Disney and it may be easy for a first-time visitor to miss a sign and inadvertently break a rule. Disney doesn't want to be seen as swatting a fly with a cannon.

JohnD

This is very interesting and jibes with a European virologist I had seen interviewed a few weeks ago who reviewed studies out of China and Italy. The big question that hasn't been answered in these studies is what is the inflection point between short and prolonged exposure?

It is clear that very close and prolonged exposure (like in a small apartment, nursing home or meat packing plant) is very conducive to transmission. These studies indicate that unless somebody sneezes or coughs on you that a store isn't really conducive to transmission (if you don't touch your face and wash or sanitize your hands after leaving).

What is relevant to a theme park in particular is what point the exposure becomes prolonged. Based upon these studies, it seems to me that being on a ride is probably a very low risk, as long as hand sanitizer is used after you get off. The standby queue is probably a risk without some kind of distancing, FP queue probably less so. Stretching room and similar pre-show rooms are close but not very prolonged contact. TT design studio is pretty spread out by the screens but hand sanitizer after design is a must.

Dining areas are probably relatively low risk as well. I know the "phased plan" is using 6' distancing between tables but, except in booth seating, you aren't usually that close to the next table. Maybe booths need plexiglass dividers since you are seated back to back with the next table.

But I can think of queues before the ride: HM (Portrait Room) and squeezing together to get on the Doom Buggies, TOT: same concept together in a room watching The Twilight Zone intro, ROTS: on the "shuttle" before arriving on the star destroyer, etc.

peter11435

But I can think of queues before the ride: HM (Portrait Room) and squeezing together to get on the Doom Buggies, TOT: same concept together in a room watching The Twilight Zone intro, ROTS: on the "shuttle" before arriving on the star destroyer, etc.
Those could all be skipped entirely or the amount of guests in them drastically reduced.

Patcheslee

We’re at a point now here in Orange County that anyone can get tested even with no symptoms. I’m considering going once they add the anti-gen test just to see if I’ve already had it. It’s not really a bad thing as either way I’d be adding to their statistics.
We're still at high priority testing I guess. Will have a temporary testing site but with limits.
Screenshot_20200505-113726_Chrome.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is very interesting and jibes with a European virologist I had seen interviewed a few weeks ago who reviewed studies out of China and Italy. The big question that hasn't been answered in these studies is what is the inflection point between short and prolonged exposure?

It is clear that very close and prolonged exposure (like in a small apartment, nursing home or meat packing plant) is very conducive to transmission. These studies indicate that unless somebody sneezes or coughs on you that a store isn't really conducive to transmission (if you don't touch your face and wash or sanitize your hands after leaving).

What is relevant to a theme park in particular is what point the exposure becomes prolonged. Based upon these studies, it seems to me that being on a ride is probably a very low risk, as long as hand sanitizer is used after you get off. The standby queue is probably a risk without some kind of distancing, FP queue probably less so. Stretching room and similar pre-show rooms are close but not very prolonged contact. TT design studio is pretty spread out by the screens but hand sanitizer after design is a must.

Dining areas are probably relatively low risk as well. I know the "phased plan" is using 6' distancing between tables but, except in booth seating, you aren't usually that close to the next table. Maybe booths need plexiglass dividers since you are seated back to back with the next table.
Here is what I don’t get. We are now entering our 8th week of stay at home lockdown where I live. Only essential travel is allowed so grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. Outside of essential workers very few people are spending time in places where they would have very close prolonged exposure to anyone else. In my county of around 800,000 people we are still seeing around 100 new cases a day and that’s those tested so who knows how many more are actually infected and are asymptomatic. So if very few people are having prolonged close contact with strangers and that’s the only way to get sick how could we still have so many new cases every day? Something doesn‘t add up. I’d really like to believe we are all safe anywhere as long as we don’t have prolonged exposure. It would make everything less stressful and provide an easy path to opening everything up now, but I think it’s a little bit of wishful thinking.

JohnD

Those could all be skipped entirely or the amount of guests in them drastically reduced.

Then I would prefer reduction to fully experience the attraction. In HM, for example, it's been mentioned before how CMs rush guests onto the attraction so that you don't have time to experience the changing portrait of Master Gracey or hear the first part of the stretch room scene. At least by reducing the number of guests, you can experience the attraction as it was intended.

JohnD

We’re at a point now here in Orange County that anyone can get tested even with no symptoms. I’m considering going once they add the anti-gen test just to see if I’ve already had it. It’s not really a bad thing as either way I’d be adding to their statistics.

I'm planning on visiting my parents (both near 80) in Jacksonville (traveling from Tallahassee) this weekend. Out of an abundance of caution, I called my doctor's office to ask if I should get tested before traveling. They said, "No". Only if I have symptoms, which I don't.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then I would prefer reduction to fully experience the attraction. In HM, for example, it's been mentioned before how CMs rush guests onto the attraction so that you don't have time to experience the changing portrait of Master Gracey or hear the first part of the stretch room scene. At least by reducing the number of guests, you can experience the attraction as it was intended.
I would guess they just skip the shrinking room and some of the other pre-shows. I know they are part of the attraction but it would be next to impossible to do unless you severely limit the capacity. If the parks are empty maybe it could be done but once a line forms they will probably abandon it:(

ImperfectPixie

Here is what I don’t get. We are now entering our 8th week of stay at home lockdown where I live. Only essential travel is allowed so grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. Outside of essential workers very few people are spending time in places where they would have very close prolonged exposure to anyone else. In my county of around 800,000 people we are still seeing around 100 new cases a day and that’s those tested so who knows how many more are actually infected and are asymptomatic. So if very few people are having prolonged close contact with strangers and that’s the only way to get sick how could we still have so many new cases every day? Something doesn‘t add up. I’d really like to believe we are all safe anywhere as long as we don’t have prolonged exposure. It would make everything less stressful and provide an easy path to opening everything up now, but I think it’s a little bit of wishful thinking.
Because I suspect MANY are taking risks. Like wearing a mask while working, but not when they're not on the clock, etc.

ETA: Visiting with friends and loved ones is likely a biggie. Hubby and I cut off visits the first week of March out of an abundance of caution because we had a discussion about who we felt we could trust to be safe, and the answer was depressingly low. One of the people we used to see most often was NOT on the list of people we'd trust to be safe, nor was his ex-wife (their son visits with dad).

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

We have a nearby arboretum with 16 miles of trails that is currently closed - no reason for people to be close to one another. Except in the bathrooms, which are required to be open as a necessary accommodation to people (especially to children and elderly people). That's where they can''t keep people apart, and I suspect that's why zoos and other such places are remaining closed. Until people can figure out how not to go to the bathroom, we're going to have a problem.

Just hand out face masks and adult diapers at the front gate. Problem solved!

Michelle2411

Is there a reason why this is only affecting Gatwick (for the time being)? I'm obviously not familiar with airports over there.
I’m not 100% sure why it’s only Gatwick but Virgin were planning on expanding their operations at Manchester airport this summer anyway so that will act as a Northern hub. Plus Heathrow is bigger and has more capacity than Gatwick so can assume they want to centralise their London operations? (Just taking a guess here)

JohnD

Is there a reason why this is only affecting Gatwick (for the time being)? I'm obviously not familiar with airports over there.

Just a guess but airlines have to severely cut back right now. I think I read that air travel is down by 95%. So might as well consolidate all resources at Heathrow. I'm sure this is an airline by airline decision. But it can't possibly help Gatwick airport obviously.

ImperfectPixie

I'm planning on visiting my parents (both near 80) in Jacksonville (traveling from Tallahassee) this weekend. Out of an abundance of caution, I called my doctor's office to ask if I should get tested before traveling. They said, "No". Only if I have symptoms, which I don't.
Which is sad considering asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread.

Chip Chipperson

Because I suspect MANY are taking risks. Like wearing a mask while working, but not when they're not on the clock, etc.

I agree. Too many people think, "It won't happen to me," or still somehow think, "It's just like the flu," so they go about their business taking little to no precautions. I know people who were careful at first, but after a few weeks they apparently decided that it's worth the risk to themselves and their families and friends. It was really nice here over the weekend and the couple behind us had a couple people over for a barbecue while an old neighbor who recently moved a couple towns away stopped by next door to visit friends. They stayed outside, but weren't staying 6 feet apart.

ImperfectPixie

I agree. Too many people think, "It won't happen to me," or still somehow think, "It's just like the flu," so they go about their business taking little to no precautions. I know people who were careful at first, but after a few weeks they apparently decided that it's worth the risk to themselves and their families and friends. It was really nice here over the weekend and the couple behind us had a couple people over for a barbecue while an old neighbor who recently moved a couple towns away stopped by next door to visit friends. They stayed outside, but weren't staying 6 feet apart.
And that's just it...people hear "exponential spread", but they don't really know what it means. They hear "pandemic" and don't fully grasp what that means or how long they can last. And no one is clarifying any of that in the Task Force updates or in the media.

Thankfully, your neighbors weren't likely increasing their risk TOO much since they stayed outside...but all it can take is for someone to be a little extra "spitty" when they speak and a breeze in the wrong direction at the wrong time...

Imagineer45

Brief London airport overview: Heathrow is the most convenient airport for London, other than arguably the tiny City Airport that cannot handle large jets, and deep-pocketed business travelers prioritize convenience. Even though Heathrow is larger than Gatwick, it is still small compared to other international hubs, severely constrained, and expensive to operate at, so major carriers (primarily British Airways/Virgin Atlantic a.k.a. the two largest British intercontinental carriers) will put their leisure destinations (Orlando, Las Vegas, Greek Isles, etc.) at Gatwick to avoid upsetting business travelers. With the major decrease in passengers, flight cancellations are allowing the large carriers to consolidate their operations at the preferred Heathrow for convenience and cost savings.

Patcheslee

I have ppl telling me it's overblown because their early 20yo kid tested positive and just had a fever for a couple days, "everyone's already had it", ect. Fine enjoy your opinion 6ft away from me, not right next to me. Even my in-laws are blowing off precautions because "if we did, we die" opinion. Still not coming to our house since they can't even respect our wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom