Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

Although to be fair, if someone is willing to murder over a mask, they were probably willing to murder over other similarly petty things too (and very possibly have before and just weren’t caught; or if it WAS their very first murder, I guarantee you it wasn’t their first crime by a LONG shot). I don’t think this is going to suddenly ignite a murderous streak in your average school teacher or Church minister or librarian or any other average next door neighbor.

I wasn't sure of his intent when he said "kill over a mask". Did he mean actual murder or the act of not wearing one is "killing" people. Because there has been plenty of that over the top type of language everywhere.

natatomic

I wasn't sure of his intent when he said "kill over a mask". Did he mean actual murder or the act of not wearing one is "killing" people. Because there has been plenty of that over the top type of language everywhere.

Someone posted a link yesterday of a customer who shot an employee who told his kid had to wear a mask to enter. Or maybe it was a woman. But yeah, someone literally killed another person because they were asked to wear a mask. I think that’s what they were referring to

NoBreyner60

I've seen a report in the local news about a woman getting on an elevator then pepper spraying everyone else who tried to get on because she didn't want to ride with anyone.

Q_Division

Is there a reason why this is only affecting Gatwick (for the time being)? I'm obviously not familiar with airports over there.

I'm a little late and most has been covered here already but there is also the additional angle of slot availability and contention. Heathrow's slot are far more in demand than Gatwick's (in part because of the "great" business/leisure divide) and as such BA and Virgin are consoliditing on Heathrow in order to retain all/as many as possible of their existing slots.

On the wider topic, the switch from the 747-400 to probably A330-200 which has a lower capacity as it both lack the "bubble" and is narrower by a seat isn't great but I suspect numbers will be down. Not sure we'll see 3 a day from Heathrow, I can see 2 possibly next summer. I'm currently scheduled on a 747 for my next trip so it'll be interesting to see the aircraft change and what impact moving to Heathrow has on the timings.

ImperfectPixie

Someone posted a link yesterday of a customer who shot an employee who told his kid had to wear a mask to enter. Or maybe it was a woman. But yeah, someone literally killed another person because they were asked to wear a mask. I think that’s what they were referring to
A woman was refused entry to a store because she wasn't wearing a mask. Her husband later returned and shot the security guard who refused her entry...he died.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That’s a good sign that testing is more widely available. The positive rate doesn’t tell us much about the spread of the virus itself but a rate that low means a lot of people who probably have no symptoms are getting tested. That was not the case in the beginning of this. We need widespread testing and contact tracing as we open things up.

TrojanUSC

I agree. Too many people think, "It won't happen to me," or still somehow think, "It's just like the flu," so they go about their business taking little to no precautions. I know people who were careful at first, but after a few weeks they apparently decided that it's worth the risk to themselves and their families and friends. It was really nice here over the weekend and the couple behind us had a couple people over for a barbecue while an old neighbor who recently moved a couple towns away stopped by next door to visit friends. They stayed outside, but weren't staying 6 feet apart.

This. Or they categorize this as a disease that only effects the elderly or very sick without realize they themselves have high blood pressure or other comorbidities they aren't aware of (or choose to ignore).

twebber55

I’d really be impressed if they were testing more than a tiny fraction in a state when 20,000,000 people 👌🏻

...but small victories...I guess?
not sure its a small victory to have 2.61% positive rate but to each his own how they decipher the information
I’ll take the good news.
thats what im saying 2.61 is good news
obviously you want zero but a low positive rate is a great start

here in my town at one of the testing centers 1377 were tested over the weekend and 5 came back positive

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
not sure its a small victory to have 2.61% positive rate but to each his own how they decipher the information

thats what im saying 2.61 is good news
obviously you want zero but a low positive rate is a great start

here in my town at one of the testing centers 1377 were tested over the weekend and 5 came back positive
I’d rather have 2.6% on a million than 2.6% on 20,000....

One casts a much bigger/more definitive net.

I can be a governor and say “we’ve had no positives tests!”

But if I haven’t run any tests...it’s a lie of omission still.

I think logistics is still the main challenge here...now that the hospitals seem to be stable enough.

Last edited:

NoBreyner60

Me, too. It’s been reported that Florida on many days have more tests than people who want to be tested. That shows the demand is being met. They plan to ramp up more testing sites as businesses continue to open so employers can send their employees to be tested if needed.
The Doctor giving a state of the virus update on Orange county taskforce's YouTube page stated that central Florida has been trending in a good way for sixteen days. Though he also suggested that it's going to take a week or more just to see any spike after the reopening. But, the news is good for now.

Polynesia

The Doctor giving a state of the virus update on Orange county taskforce's YouTube page stated that central Florida has been trending in a good way for sixteen days. Though he also suggested that it's going to take a week or more just to see any spike after the reopening. But, the news is good for now.
I saw their briefing yesterday where the last two days had rates of 1.1 and .9. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t spike. It shows we’re on the right track when the amount of tests have substantially increased and the rates are going down.

jmp85

Me, too. It’s been reported that Florida on many days have more tests than people who want to be tested. That shows the demand is being met. They plan to ramp up more testing sites as businesses continue to open so employers can send their employees to be tested if needed.

Where I live (Panhandle), you can drive up and get tested, no questions asked. No issues for people to get tested here. Not possible to increase tests performed if the demand isn't there. I don't know how many people want a test in Florida and can't get one, but the reported results are definitely good news. We need the results to continue trending in a positive direction however, especially since we just entered Phase 1 yesterday. Next couple of weeks will be more telling.

twebber55

I’d rather have 2.6% on a million than 2.6% on 20,000....

One casts a much bigger/more definitive net.

I can be a governor and say “we’ve had no positives tears!”

But if I haven’t run any tests...it’s a lie of omission still.

I think logistics is still the main challenge here...now that the hospitals seem to be stable enough.
of course totally agree try to enjoy some good news its ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom