Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

Disney says coronavirus outbreak has been "challenging"

Just in via CNN:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 12.44.31 PM.png

Last edited:

seascape

Long term this is going to kill the parks, coronavirus is far worse than 9/11 and is destroying the travel and tourism industry as we speak, tough times ahead for the parks and cast members for sure
It will not kill the Disney parks. It may kill Seaworld, Cedar Fair or Six Flags. it is possible 2 or all 3 merge. Separately they are all too weak however together, they can cut expenses enough to survive. This is a one year problem and with the 50th anniversary of WDW 18 months away Disney has the ability and fans to come back stronger than ever.

trainplane3

It will not kill the Disney parks. It may kill Seaworld, Cedar Fair or Six Flags. it is possible 2 or all 3 merge. Separately they are all too weak however together, they can cut expenses enough to survive. This is a one year problem and with the 50th anniversary of WDW 18 months away Disney has the ability and fans to come back stronger than ever.
Isn't Six Flags on the verge of death anyways? CF had a killer 2019 season. No idea on Seaworld.

Nubs70

Don't touch your face and don't touch other people. Simple as that. Now is not the time to be all touchy feely with the people around you. I personally don't like touching anyone I don't want to sleep with so it's easy for me. I don't like to shake hands or any of all that. No I'm not some sort of nut but I just never have liked touching everyone in my path like some people.
Introverts will survive.

LSLS

Isn't Six Flags on the verge of death anyways? CF had a killer 2019 season. No idea on Seaworld.

That's what I have read. Cedar Fair also gets most of their business in the summer, and with most places only closing for a few weeks or months, they may not see a large impact at all (if everything opens back up by May). That said, their stock has nearly been cut in half since October, so there is obviously real concern there.

LukeS7

Health officials in the US are apparently now saying they’ve discovered some deaths from it posthumously that had previously been attributed to the flu

Overlordkitty

Long term this is going to kill the parks, coronavirus is far worse than 9/11 and is destroying the travel and tourism industry as we speak, tough times ahead for the parks and cast members for sure
Agreed. I think most people are missing the trickle down effects. Marriott just put a hiring freeze in place, no open positions are being filled at this time. I'm sure many more companies are likewise doing the same.

Even if the parks aren't the center of an outbreak, people still have to have stable jobs to afford going to the parks.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
On January 25th China crossed 1,000 cases and that day they closed Shanghai Disneyland.

The US now has just over 1,000 confirmed cases, but likely many more because of the few tests performed. I don't see how theme parks can stay open. This country needs to start getting serious about banning large gatherings for a better chance to #FlattenTheCurve and prevent overflowing the healthcare system like in Northern Italy, because that's how you get a lot of deaths. The US is a few weeks behind and what happened there will happen here. Good luck getting treatment for your stroke or heart attack when every hospital is filled with virus patients.

Thousands of people who just came off airplanes from around the world crammed together in queues, eating finger food and touching the same handlebars is the last thing we should be doing. Just shut everything down for a few weeks and we can beat this thing.

ImperfectPixie

Starting Monday they just need to do a 2 week national lock down and get it over with.
Not really plausible. You'd have to give warning so people can stock up on food, and then you'd have a rush and the typical hoarding of dried/canned goods. That would likely cause more problems than it would solve as people (generally speaking) aren't able to police themselves and behave appropriately.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
On January 25th China crossed 1,000 cases and that day they closed Shanghai Disneyland.

The US now has just over 1,000 confirmed cases, but likely many more because of the few tests performed. I don't see how theme parks can stay open. This country needs to start getting serious about banning large gatherings for a better chance to #FlattenTheCurve and prevent overflowing the healthcare system like in Northern Italy, because that's how you get a lot of deaths. The US is a few weeks behind and what happened there will happen here. Good luck getting treatment for your stroke or heart attack when every hospital is filled with virus patients.

Thousands of people who just came off airplanes from around the world crammed together in queues, eating finger food and touching the same handlebars is the last thing we should be doing. Just shut everything down for a few weeks and we can beat this thing.
Its been said before in here, but the dynamics are much different here than in Shanghai, particularly from a gov't perspective and ownership perspective. Closing down Disney would essentially close down Orlando because Universal would follow, then the domino effect would take place in the travel industry, which is already taking a massive hit. Keep in mind with the other pandemics, WDW has not closed.

Lilofan

Not really plausible. You'd have to give warning so people can stock up on food, and then you'd have a rush and the typical hoarding of dried/canned goods. That would likely cause more problems than it would solve as people (generally speaking) aren't able to police themselves and behave appropriately.
Not close to a pandemic but when the police were looking for the suspects of the Boston marathon bombing, wasn't the entire city of Boston on 24 hour curfew for several days ? The great people of Boston complied with the order.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Its been said before in here, but the dynamics are much different here than in Shanghai, particularly from a gov't perspective and ownership perspective. Closing down Disney would essentially close down Orlando because Universal would follow, then the domino effect would take place in the travel industry, which is already taking a massive hit. Keep in mind with the other pandemics, WDW has not closed.

The travel industry will recover. Large companies like Disney and United Airlines will be fine. The government can help small businesses.

The (financial and human) cost of inaction could be far greater.

lisa12000

Do you not think as well that WDW (and Disneyland) are signs of normalcy for many people, stopping the panic because if WDW is open then things cannot get that bad. IF WDW and Disneyland do close then it is a sign (especially as stated it hasn't closed before for many other disasters other than hurricanes (understandable) and 9/11 (even more understandable)) to panic! I just feel its being held up almost as a beacon of hope in the country.

As a UK person, what was it like when H1N1 hit the US terribly? - I mean the figures were astonishing.

Also, I genuinely dont see the "its happened in Italy so it will happen here" - of course it MAY but there are very different cultural and social dynamics/demographics in Italy which has made the situation massively worse i.e. the aged population/high proportion of smokers/cultural norms of 'touching' etc. Yes the spread is shocking in the north of Italy but it still remains that over half of case had no symptoms at all/very few symptoms - and the number of cases outside of the north of Italy is small in comparison and more on par with everywhere else. I think if you are going to look at a European nation I would look more at France/Germany for how numbers may grow.

ImperfectPixie

Not close to a pandemic but when the police were looking for the suspects of the Boston marathon bombing, wasn't the entire city of Boston on 24 hour curfew for several days ? The great people of Boston complied with the order.
I think the big difference here is that people were afraid of being violently attacked, and relatively speaking, Boston is tiny as opposed to the whole of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom