Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

People don't realize how quickly this thing accelerates, its starting to reach the tipping point in terms of public perception today. The parks are not going to be open this time next week

You're right about one thing. The perception of this thing is spreading at an exponential rate far beyond that of the virus itself.

MaximumEd

This is when I’m glad to live in a small town in the Deep South. Yeah, we get to be the punch line to all the jokes, but when something like this happens, we have a couple hundred pounds of deer meat, shelves full of canned veggies, and plenty of protection. Also have alternate means of getting water. No, I’m not hoarding TP or one of the crazies, I just like being prepared at all times. It’s just how we roll.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
This is when I’m glad to live in a small town in the Deep South. Yeah, we get to be the punch line to all the jokes, but when something like this happens, we have a couple hundred pounds of deer meat, shelves full of canned veggies, and plenty of protection. Also have alternate means of getting water. No, I’m not hoarding TP or one of the crazies, I just like being prepared at all times. It’s just how we roll.

I guess the south will indeed rise again!

hopemax

And how would those who run out of food get more? Seriously...we only buy what we need for the week both because of spoilage and also because of space issues. We've got some canned stuff, but not enough to sustain 4 people for an entire week.

Also, EIGHTY PERCENT of people who do become infected with this virus will have mild symptoms. A complete shut-down of a whole country doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Even in Wuhan, China, you were allowed to go out and shop. But they had limits, one person per household could leave every 2 days for supplies. And I think people had to register. The lockdown meant that transportation was suspended and non-essential businesses had to shut down. The supermarkets and pharmacies were still open, and the government organized deliveries.

Here, I think lockdown would mostly mean suspension of transportation, ordering people to work from home if they have the ability. Not leave it up to individual businesses to tell their people to do so, and continued cancellation of events. Specific hot spots might have something more serious, such as the New Rochelle situation. With movement even more restricted.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Even in Wuhan, China, you were allowed to go out and shop. But they had limits, one person per household could leave every 2 days for supplies. And I think people had to register. The lockdown meant that transportation was suspended and non-essential businesses had to shut down. The supermarkets and pharmacies were still open, and the government organized deliveries.

Here, I think lockdown would mostly mean suspension of transportation, and ordering people to work from home if they have the ability. Not leave it up to individual businesses to tell their people to do so. Specific hot spots might have something more serious, such as the New Rochelle situation. With movement even more restricted.

You think me-first Americans are going to abide by those kind of rules? Anarchy. Pure anarchy.

imsosarah

@ImperfectPixie you can buy 7-8 boxes of pasta and a few jars of sauce and have a weeks worth and take up limited space. If you really do have a family of 4 i assume there are kids you should have 2 weeks onhand. If you get exposed or get quarantined that means from the store also.

Notes from Neverland

Those downplaying this seem to commonly forget one key item - Hospital capacity. Yes, a large chunk of the population could come down with this and be OK. But, a large number would require hospitalization. That takes up beds and, in a lot of cases, will max out capacity. That will make treating other issues far more difficult as there simply isn't space. People with other problems may have to be turned away. That's a huge problem.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Where are you that even has tests? We can get tested here for the most part.

I've seen this for Denver -

"Colorado is opening a drive-up coronavirus testing center Wednesday, one of the first in the nation, as the state ramps up testing efforts to fight the growing viral outbreak.

But the drive-up testing isn’t available to everyone. There are certain criteria and specific documentation that you need to take advantage of the testing for COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus."

MuteSuperstar

Those downplaying this seem to commonly forget one key item - Hospital capacity. Yes, a large chunk of the population could come down with this and be OK. But, a large number would require hospitalization. That takes up beds and, in a lot of cases, will max out capacity. That will make treating other issues far more difficult as there simply isn't space. People with other problems may have to be turned away. That's a huge problem.

And the inevitable infections of health care workers.

imsosarah

I've seen this for Denver -

"Colorado is opening a drive-up coronavirus testing center Wednesday, one of the first in the nation, as the state ramps up testing efforts to fight the growing viral outbreak.

But the drive-up testing isn’t available to everyone. There are certain criteria and specific documentation that you need to take advantage of the testing for COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus."

The thing that is to note is "certain criteria" in many areas international travel and symptoms is still not enough - has to be in Italy, South Korea, China or Iran - not even France (second highest cases in Europe) or NYC/Seattle

BoarderPhreak

You're right about one thing. The perception of this thing is spreading at an exponential rate far beyond that of the virus itself.

It needs to be taken seriously. China was able to enact a hardcore quarantine (something perhaps no other country could get away with). Compare the arcs in the graph below. The western world is just now getting started.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.08.01 PM.png

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
For what it's worth, from the Orlando Sentinel...

Guests already staying in the resorts, would they have to scram? There’d be warning beforehand, I hope. Maybe a few days in advance so that folks planning trips would have a chance to set things on their end. Or would this just be the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom