Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

I wholeheartedly agree, but unfortunately we're not currently. Also, widespread testing is needed. I find it funny how people keep using the death rate in South Korea as a reason to not worry when their death rate is still 7 times worse than the flu.
In the aggregate, yes a 700% higher mortality rate (that would be a great click bait headline).

On the individual level:
Flu: 99.99% survival rate
Covid: 99.93% survival rate

LSLS

Heres a controversial one - do you think its time we move on from number of cases per area and look at death rates? for example, we know its going to spread if you look at S. Koreas number of cases. you'd be horrified - then you look at their death rates and see its not much worse than the flu rates (not saying its just flu btw!!). I know we need to be mindful of vulnerable people but the advice will be the same whether there is 100 cases or 1000 - not saying its okay but I feel its the reporting of the rise of number of cases thats causing the panic rather than the dangerousness of it.

Honestly, I'd say not yet. The problem is we don't completely have a handle on the spread, how it will change in the summer time, the effects with age, etc. I don't disagree the reporting is raising fears, but I'm not super upset by it either, as people should be especially careful right now (especially potentially vulnerable people).

LukeS7

In the aggregate, yes a 700% higher mortality rate (that would be a great click bait headline).

On the individual level:
Flu: 99.99% survival rate
Covid: 99.93% survival rate
I mean, sure, but think of it like this: the yearly total death rate for the US is about 2.8 million people. Assuming (yes, it's a hypothetical and I hope this is not the case) that this reaches the level of the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, you have 57 million infections. Take the South Korea death rate of 0.7%, that makes an additional 399,000 deaths or an increase in yearly deaths of 14.25%. If you take the 3.2% rate we're currently at, that number than becomes 1.824 million deaths, or an increase in yearly deaths of 65.14%.

EDIT: Additionally, even at that lower number, that'd put it only behind cancer and heart disease for leading causes of death in America. At the higher, it'd eclipse both combined.

Last edited:

danitaytay

Perception is reality

Sea World would be another great option as well as Clearwater Aquarium in terms of rescue and conservation. It is a challenging but rewarding endavuer!

oh absolutely!! I have my own moral issues with sea world unfortunately but there’s so many incredible places in Florida! I’d be happy to find myself long term at any of them.

Well that sounds better...but don’t overestimate what that couple months is gonna do for you...

Best bet is to see it for what it always has been: fatigue in the sun and fluid exchange 😉

Lol you’re definitely not wrong. But I’m going to try my best to make the most out of it before I get heat stroke!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Tokyo Disneyland extends closure through early April.
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 10.41.21 AM.png

KBLovedDisney

Maybe this has been addressed, and sorry for repeating something if it has, but have crowd levels been down or are they projected to be?
This is just a theory of mine, but my guess is that the crowds will get much lower if the prez declares a state of emergency for the entire country.

Again, just my theory.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We have to go to our condo regardless as we have to inspect it after our renter leaves. If we didn't have the condo, I wouldn't go because of the risk of having to be quarantined in Florida.
Don't forget the tax benefits of an inspection trip...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It really was. The only thing that bothered us was the he was supposed to have laparoscopic surgery originally, but that surgeon got transferred and the new surgeon didn't think the success rate of laparoscopic surgery was high enough...so hubby has a zipper on his chest now (not that it bothers me - but it DOES bother him sometimes).
I've met surgeons who don't like giving up the control factor using laparoscopic techniques -- if something goes wrong, they want to be hands-on immediately.

ImperfectPixie

I've met surgeons who don't like giving up the control factor using laparoscopic techniques -- if something goes wrong, they want to be hands-on immediately.
It made me so sad watching hubby go from being super self-confident in his looks to be so self-conscious that he avoided any situations that involved swimming for like 5 years. It's never bothered me at all - I'm just glad they found the problem and fixed it. It's taken time, but he's finally gotten over it (mostly).

Jenny72

I don't know about elsewhere, but things here are snowballing, and we don't even have that many cases yet. Meetings/classes/gatherings are being cancelled or made virtual all over. Just a week ago everyone was saying "business as usual, folks!" and that has rapidly changed. It is inconceivable to me that DW will not shut down at some point. It may go from open to shut fast, if it's anything like it is here.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Agree a lot of this is media sensationalism. However, just wanted to correct that stats a little.

Flu: 99.99%
Covid: 99.22%

Still pretty rosy but it is a larger difference than .06 percent. It’s more like .77 percent so far in South Korea Covid rates can flu.
7 hundredths of a percent doesn't sound like much... until you're talking millions of potential infections worldwide.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't know about elsewhere, but things here are snowballing, and we don't even have that many cases yet. Meetings/classes/gatherings are being cancelled or made virtual all over. Just a week ago everyone was saying "business as usual, folks!" and that has rapidly changed. It is inconceivable to me that DW will not shut down at some point. It may go from open to shut fast, if it's anything like it is here.
Nobody wants to be the one on the evening news, explaining that the situation didn't seem that serious at the time...

ImperfectPixie

Same here...positive cases more than doubled in 24 hours from 41 to 94, and they're adjusting school attendance requirements and such.

The Mom

Premium Member
Nobody wants to be the one on the evening news, explaining that the situation didn't seem that serious at the time...

Sort of why doctors "hang the black crepe" in serious medical cases, rather than saying "Everything will be just fine." They would rather have someone saying "The doctors told me I didn't have much chance of surviving, but I proved them wrong." than having to explain (most likely in court) why everything didn't turn out well.

The Mom

Premium Member
We have not had a major city be an epicenter for the flu, with one doctor treating hundreds of patients. The more exposure you have to infected people the higher your risk of being infected yourself. Especially if you do not/can not stop treating them. His conscience would not allow him to go home and take care of himself.

Someone thought this was funny? Very strange reaction - even if you might not agree.

Common sense (and medical experience) would tell you that the more exposure you have to an infectious disease (even using precautions - just one slip can leave you vulnerable) the more likely you will be to get it, and the more likely you will be to have a more extreme case. We're not talking about a young, healthy person who had unprotected exposure to a limited number of infected people. He was exposed to hundreds of people, with little down time. Maybe a nap someplace - which would also make him less resistant to infection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom