Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

polynesiangirl

I hate the unknown/uncertainty of all of this! We're supposed to leave next week (for what was also going to involve a cruise, haha, but now, uh, is definitely not) and I'm fairly certain now that we're going to end up cancelling the whole thing. It just doesn't seem worth it to risk getting all the way down there and either A) getting sick/being sick for a chunk of the trip, B) having the parks shut down, and/or C) inadvertently bringing this nasty thing home with us (even if, yes, there's a decent chance it will be running wild in our area by the time we'd get back anyways). I'm totally kicking myself, because I was hedging on booking this trip in the first place months and months ago, and now I wish I'd just gone with my gut and skipped it to begin with so I wouldn't have to agonize about it, haha!

No one in my travel party is in a high risk group, at least, but I'm still not feeling warm and fuzzy about going down there. I have kids, and we all know how great kids are about not touching every gross surface in sight. :rolleyes:;)

Nubs70

7 hundredths of a percent doesn't sound like much... until you're talking millions of potential infections worldwide.
Since we are individuals,.we need to focus on the 99.22% survivability rate and modify our lifestyles and not transpose the overall collective impact on ourselves as individuals.

If you are.in above average populations with underlying conditions that lower that 9.2% rate, modify toue lifestyle accordingly.

In a way, we are all in this together but firstly the one you need to worry about is yourself.

Ojo4

Its not a matter of if the parks are going it close, its when. Schools are closing all across the country right now, all sporting events were just instructed to play without fans, and we've already stopped trying to contain the virus.

Disstevefan1

That's just stupid. The PGA tour is coming my way in a few weeks along with spring break which is already under way. The people are coming to Hilton Head Island one way or another. It won't be some seen of death and sickness. For us, tourist season brings the flu every year. It also brings a bunch of money to tipped employees, side job people, etc. etc. Many people make a decent amount of money that isn't wages which means it isn't taxed and people count on that money for a big bump to their yearly earnings. Girl selling water is making 50 cents or so a bottle. 10 hours of that adds up. I talked to a bartender who claimed she did $7,000 in sales at a mobile bar during the golf tournament. Even if she only made 10% off of sales that's $700 in a day. I would guess she made more like $1,000.

The thought that all this stuff will be shut down is just wrong, it can't in many of the spring break places.

Excellent! Another test case! Cory please report back two weeks after the PGA and tell us how you are feeling 😀

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If your news source isn't the CDC or WHO and isn't quoting the CDC or WHO, shut it off.

Please read the CDC website. They update it with the latest news, so, you don't have to get news from third hand reporters who don't understand epidemiology (the scientific medical study of disease transmission).

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Don't touch your face and don't touch other people. Simple as that. Now is not the time to be all touchy feely with the people around you. I personally don't like touching anyone I don't want to sleep with so it's easy for me. I don't like to shake hands or any of all that. No I'm not some sort of nut but I just never have liked touching everyone in my path like some people.

What do you do when people extend their hand for a hand shake?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Im at Wdw now. If you had no access to outside news you really would never know there was a virus going on. They have put up hand sanitizer stations throughout parks. Ive seen only three people wearing surgical masks and they were in the same group. Its pretty much business as usual from a guest facing standpoint.
So I stopped by guest services at the resort to make a change and asked what they were seeing as to impact on crowds. The CM that I talked to indicated that the info they are seeing is no significant impact on guests canceling and attendance levels have been normal for the time if year. He said they (management) are watching very closely but there are no plans being made to close the resort. They have ramped up sanitizing efforts and I noticed that today at MK. Teams of CMs wiping down surfaces, etc.

trainplane3

E3 has been cancelled.

"Organizers of the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, has canceled its 2020 edition set for June 9-11 in Los Angeles. It becomes the latest major industry event to shutter amid the worldwide coronavirus outbreak."

https://deadline.com/2020/03/e3-2020-canceled-coronavirus-1202879520/

Maybe this will kill E3 off. I never hated E3 but after Nintendos move to directs, other companies have slowly started to move to a similar format so it started to make it irrelevant. Besides, this will make it harder to leak things since the info will be all internal instead of being dragged to a convention center.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Say, "I'm sorry, because of the Corona Virus, let's just wave." <wave>

They said in general they didn't want to touch most people. I don't either but I've always taken a handshake to be polite. Right now it's an easy excuse to say no because of social distancing, but when this passes, I'm curious as to how others handle this on a normal basis.

Ojo4

Long term this is going to kill the parks, coronavirus is far worse than 9/11 and is destroying the travel and tourism industry as we speak, tough times ahead for the parks and cast members for sure

KBLovedDisney

Just fyi - Bath & Body Works sells (or use to sell) anti-bacterial hand gel in case you are looking for something like hand sanitizer.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So I stopped by guest services at the resort to make a change and asked what they were seeing as to impact on crowds. The CM that I talked to indicated that the info they are seeing is no significant impact on guests canceling and attendance levels have been normal for the time if year. He said they (management) are watching very closely but there are no plans being made to close the resort. They have ramped up sanitizing efforts and I noticed that today at MK. Teams of CMs wiping down surfaces, etc.
Long term this is going to kill the parks, coronavirus is far worse than 9/11 and is destroying the travel and tourism industry as we speak, tough times ahead for the parks and cast members for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom