Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

If you have half the number of students for a school with the capacity that is obviously double that, it's a good start though for social distancing while also ensuring the kids most impacted aren't being left behind.
The schools already have mobile classrooms due to being over capacity but don't have the funds to build. To the point that an elementary school was converted to 6th grade only in 2017 due to the need for classrooms.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, there is a thread in the Politics and Social Issues subforum where discussion of schools is welcome. Please do not dominate the discussion with it here. Thank you.

ImperfectPixie

Yikes. I'm not certain why the office manager would even send that email when it's an impossible standard to guarantee or promise if you're not going to empower your employees to walk away from the job once those standards aren't met.

I'm not even sure what the solution would be here.
Fortunately, he's not off unemployment yet (and won't be until he's either 1) back full-time all the time, or 2) uses up his benefits), and they can't fire you if you say you aren't comfortable returning to work per the PPP program, which they're getting a loan from. He's high-risk, too, and has a zipper scar on his chest to prove it. We talked about it this afternoon, and he's going to be very vocal if things are unacceptable. Today was just an elderly couple who seemed to have been staying home and being safe.

DCBaker

Premium Member
For those curious about the earnings call tomorrow -

The live audio webcast begins at 4:30pm EDT tomorrow.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Okay. So really still pennies when you think about the losses they face. I guess my question is... that loss is based on expected income/ profit? But once they can start running again, they will be making money? It’s not like their properties are being paid off still. I’m sure they have debts of course, but it does seem like spin.

It's actually just revenue loss, to which there are a natural decreases in expenses that happen as a result of less product you need to buy, less staffing you need, less taxes, etc.

There's going to be a lot of cuts coming to Disney so they can weather the storm (because they're more focused on short-term rather than long-term) in order to get the bonuses their contracts call for. They could weather a bit of 'losses' for the next couple of years, but they won't and the people who will suffer ultimately is consumers (downgraded product, cut offerings, increased prices) and workers (less hours, less benefits, more responsibilities, layoffs, etc.) so the management can collect their bonuses.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Fortunately, he's not off unemployment yet (and won't be until he's either 1) back full-time all the time, or 2) uses up his benefits), and they can't fire you if you say you aren't comfortable returning to work per the PPP program, which they're getting a loan from. He's high-risk, too, and has a zipper scar on his chest to prove it. We talked about it this afternoon, and he's going to be very vocal if things are unacceptable. Today was just an elderly couple who seemed to have been staying home and being safe.

It might be a while before he's back at work it looks like.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

$21B revenue loss over 3 years is bad. Real bad, but remember that is revenue not profits. They generally have a segment profit margin of around 25% for P&R so that’s roughly $5B over 3 years of lost profit. They could narrow that some by cutting even more costs. That’s bad news for the parks though and a killer on any further additions. Of course they could just cut share buybacks and make up the difference but that’s not what the street will want to see.

Calmdownnow

Krispy Kreme stand alone locations has a Corona virus sale. !! On Saturdays, a customer that buys a dozen glazed donuts at the drive thru gets another dozen glazed donuts FREE!
But be has to pledge to run 2 miles per day in lycra sportswear for 6 days as part of his excercise regime whilst Instagraming key milestones, with an advertising overlay for two donuts per day that link to zodiacal predictions identifying whether or not he will meet the love of his life, gain lucky financial advantage on the stock market, or win big on the state lottery.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Seaworld announcing upgrades for some Passholders -

“But the theme park operator gave passholders something to look forward to as the company announced Monday it is automatically upgrading annual passes by one tier for the rest of the year. For instance, a gold passholder who had no blockout dates at Aquatica Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando now gets access to all the company’s 11 U.S. theme parks, including Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, under the platinum pass.”

“The company also pledged to give passholders additional bring-a-friend days, the email said.”

Disney Analyst

It's actually just revenue loss, to which there are a natural decreases in expenses that happen as a result of less product you need to buy, less staffing you need, less taxes, etc.

There's going to be a lot of cuts coming to Disney so they can weather the storm (because they're more focused on short-term rather than long-term) in order to get the bonuses their contracts call for. They could weather a bit of 'losses' for the next couple of years, but they won't and the people who will suffer ultimately is consumers (downgraded product, cut offerings, increased prices) and workers (less hours, less benefits, more responsibilities, layoffs, etc.) so the management can collect their bonuses.

I guess that's always my issues with shareholders/evaluations/earning goals. It's all short term, no long term vision. It's about quick gains. Year over year, quarter over quarter increases. Never looking at if they covered cost and made a profit, or had a slow gradual gain. "Oh this quarter is down over the last one, despite still making massive profits? SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN" ... It's absurd.

How does Disney/any big company accomplish this normal? Cost cutting, lower investment in company, raise prices, etc. It's ridiculous.

They shouldn't look at what used to be normal or expected, it shouldn't even matter. Something happened that effected the entire world, we have a new normal ahead. Look at what you can do once things go back to "normal". Look at covering costs, making money, and not sacrificing your brand fully. Look at the profit/earnings you can expect in this new time, and work towards those goals and how to better those.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can you be safely distanced from me when I am I carriage ahead of you on a roller-coaster and I have just screamed my lungs out as you drop into the space I was in 5 10 seconds before? Just askin'...
I hold my breath and close my eyes the entire time so I’m safe ;) It’s a valid question.

Lilofan

Tuesday May 5 430pm EDT. Very much anticipated company outlook from Iger. Hopefully he talks about approx ETA on theme parks opening.

ImperfectPixie

Yikes. I'm not certain why the office manager would even send that email when it's an impossible standard to guarantee or promise if you're not going to empower your employees to walk away from the job once those standards aren't met.

I'm not even sure what the solution would be here.
I'm not sure there is one? They need everyone back at work to qualify for the fed PPP loan, but they can't guarantee safety, and they can't fire people who are afraid to work...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those curious about the earnings call tomorrow -

The live audio webcast begins at 4:30pm EDT tomorrow.

Thread in the Disney Company section to discuss content of the call free from presumptious rumors found here:

Patcheslee

Can you be safely distanced from me when I am I carriage ahead of you on a roller-coaster and I have just screamed my lungs out as you drop into the space I was in 5 10 seconds before? Just askin'...
Guess that's part of the downfall to coaster companies trying to reduce drag for better rides.

icc2515

Tuesday May 5 430pm EDT. Very much anticipated company outlook from Iger. Hopefully he talks about approx ETA on theme parks opening.
You should read this thread. Some very depressing stuff in there. Well, for anybody with a June/July reservation, or a DL reservation for 2020.

cmwade77

I didn't know such a district existed.

If kids are going only half the day, what happens if the parents are at work? Or is your district primarily a one-income household?
Well, what do they do right now when the kids aren't in school? And there are tons of districts in Southern California that have no buses, having buses is actually very uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom