Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, the right answer is in the middle :)
I am glad that there are many different States and Countries that all tried different things, Sweden comes to mind. It will be good when this pandemic is firnly in the rearview mirror to dispassionately look at the data and hopefully find a solution for next time that doesnt involve crippling the economy.

Exactly.

Depending on how things are come July, we've just decided to spend a month away from home basically, visiting grandparents and getting a beach house for a week. Our kids need to get out of this house and as long as things are in a good spot come July, we plan on doing that and hopefully taking advantage of cheap gas prices as we have been recently (got gas for $.17/gallon the other day though that was a one time only thing).
Hopefully you can find a place where the worst symptom of this pandemic (Fear) has returned to a more sane level. Seeing "Checkpoints" being set up where "locals screen" travellers is one of so many insane reactions i am witnessing. The level of judgement against people who i believe are making rational decisions has reached a very scary level.

ImperfectPixie

Hopefully you can find a place where the worst symptom of this pandemic (Fear) has returned to a more sane level. Seeing "Checkpoints" being set up where "locals screen" travellers is one of so many insane reactions i am witnessing. The level of judgement against people who i believe are making rational decisions has reached a very scary level.
There are many places hiring screeners right now.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am glad that there are many different States and Countries that all tried different things, Sweden comes to mind. It will be good when this pandemic is firnly in the rearview mirror to dispassionately look at the data and hopefully find a solution for next time that doesnt involve crippling the economy.
Except Sweden hasn’t faired any better economically. They still had a substantial government bail out and their economy is in a major recession. All of the same industries that are suffering here are suffering there (travel,tourism,retail, restaurants). Sweden hasn‘t had full stay at home orders dictated by the government but the people there have generally stayed home on their own. There’s a complete false narrative that somehow without stay at home orders the economy here would not have been crippled. The virus killed the world economy.

techgeek

I forgot about hearing and understanding. Imagine being at the emporium with the loud music and asking a question.

I keep catching myself ‘smiling’ in response to people... except, I have a mask on and they can’t see that... so I’ve try to remind myself to throw in some body language or actual verbal response in those situations so I don’t look like I’m ignoring them. It’s been a adaptation.

DisneyDebRob

For the record, Carnival is offering some dirt cheap rates if you're brave enough to set sail in August.

7-day trip out of Galveston on one of their newest ships I found for as low as $70/pp. My jaw dropped. Man.
They could give me a free cruise in August, I’m not going. Chance of being stuck in my room for weeks? I’ll wait awhile.

Except Sweden hasn’t faired any better economically. They still had a substantial government bail out and their economy is in a major recession. All of the same industries that are suffering here are suffering there (travel,tourism,retail, restaurants). Sweden hasn‘t had full stay at home orders dictated by the government but the people there have generally stayed home on their own. There’s a complete false narrative that somehow without stay at home orders the economy here would not have been crippled. The virus killed the world economy.
I will wait till we have much more data to come to any decisions on what works. IMO its way too early to armchair quarterback this one.

Now about those insanely cheap cruise offerings I might be game. Even with the screaming lunatics yelling at me about my poor life choices.

DisneyDebRob

The narrative that we should have done what Sweden did for pages and pages on this thread was crazy. The main point was that people were going to die but the economy wouldn’t suffer. Found out whatever way you try and fight this it comes out bad. Their economy could turn out to be worse then the US. Don’t hear much about them doing the best thing anymore.

Animaniac93-98

For the record, Carnival is offering some dirt cheap rates if you're brave enough to set sail in August.

7-day trip out of Galveston on one of their newest ships I found for as low as $70/pp. My jaw dropped. Man.

I wouldn't sail on Carnival even if it was free and there was no virus.

natatomic

So first day back at work, surgical non-N95 masks, antifog safety glasses or wipes, and a paper bag were distributed. Have to be worn at all times except for break, cloth masks are not acceptable. 30 minute training on proper hand washing, mask application and removal, how to properly remove gloves after cleaning. Masks are to be stored in the paperbag and evaluated for cleanliness after each use by the user. We will have to go to the nurse if we need a new mask and it will be evaluated. Our ERT team has been fitted and trained for using N95 masks while on any emergency call. All picnic tables have been replaced with 8ft long tables, 1 chair on each end. Will now work 12 hours 5-7 days until at least Memorial Day.
Since I have prescription glasses I had the wipes: it takes a good 20 minutes to apply and buff so everything isn't blurred. Lasted maybe 3 hours before need another.
A ponytail makes an excellent ear safer for elastic on masks. But I spent way too much time touching and adjusting my mask to avoid condensation instead of fog on my glasses. I've had to slow down some because it is harder to breath and run production at the same pace as before.
There are plexiglass barriers installed between each sink in the restrooms and towel dispensers now. Communication is an issue since I can't read lips now, hopefully coworkers get more patient than today.
Some of these things like the restrooms I could almost see Disney doing like the restroom barriers, but it will still be crowded. Masks for employees, I hope they have a better experience if they are given surgical, and given more breaks/slow cycle time a bit if need be to help them. It's definitely a challenge to balance.

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your job?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will wait till we have much more data to come to any decisions on what works. IMO its way too early to armchair quarterback this one.

Now about those insanely cheap cruise offerings I might be game. Even with the screaming lunatics yelling at me about my poor life choices.
Technically waiting until all of the data is in to decide what would have worked best is pretty much the definition of playing Monday morning quarterback. World leaders didn’t have the luxury of waiting. Decisions had to be made. There was no easy choice. Nobody wins here.

Enjoy your cruise:)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is what happens when you don’t social distance in Indonesia ;):

It’s been a kinda dark day with a lot of heated back and forth. Thought I would end my night with a little humor. Hope nobody is offended, the kid was fine (at least physically) :)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
This is what happens when you don’t social distance in Indonesia ;):

It’s been a kinda dark day with a lot of heated back and forth. Thought I would end my night with a little humor. Hope nobody is offended, the kid was fine (at least physically) :)

At first, I thought it was a cat!

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Sounds too good to be true but I'll pass especially since it's Carnival. Cruised with them twice. I didn't expect it to have so many rowdy drunk adults on a daily basis.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

This lunatic says go ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom