Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Can you be safely distanced from me when I am I carriage ahead of you on a roller-coaster and I have just screamed my lungs out as you drop into the space I was in 5 10 seconds before? Just askin'...

With your mandatory mask both your screams, and any organic projectiles will be contained.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well, what do they do right now when the kids aren't in school? And there are tons of districts in Southern California that have no buses, having buses is actually very uncommon.

I imagine after-school care. That would be costly for the parents (especially if you're in group B and have to do before-school and after-school care). Oof.

Just read about how California is removing school buses across the state to make up for gaps in the educational budget. That's crazy.

Gringrinngghost

$21B revenue loss over 3 years is bad. Real bad, but remember that is revenue not profits. They generally have a segment profit margin of around 25% for P&R so that’s roughly $5B over 3 years of lost profit. They could narrow that some by cutting even more costs. That’s bad news for the parks though and a killer on any further additions. Of course they could just cut share buybacks and make up the difference but that’s not what the street will want to see.
They'll just raise prices with the pretense of attendance or demand.

Bob Harlem

Carnival Cruise lines has announced their intent to start (some) sailings again on August 1st. All North American Carnival cruises from June 27 to July 31 will be cancelled. Beginning August 1, Carnival plans to resume cruises on the following ships:
Galveston: Carnival Dream, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Vista
Miami: Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic and Carnival Sensation
Port Canaveral: Carnival Breeze and Carnival Elation.
Other than the above referenced service from Galveston, Miami, and Port Canaveral, all other North American and Australian Carnival homeport cruises will be cancelled through August 31. All Carnival Spirit Alaskan cruises from Seattle will be cancelled, as well as the Carnival Spirit Vancouver-Honolulu cruise on September 25 and the Honolulu-Brisbane transpacific cruise on October 6. All Carnival Splendor cruises in Australia from June 19 to August 31 will be cancelled.

There seems to be a trending going here so there's a good chance will hear more from Disney and other theme parks early as this week or at least within the next few.

ImperfectPixie

I imagine after-school care. That would be costly for the parents (especially if you're in group B and have to do before-school and after-school care). Oof.

Just read about how California is removing school buses across the state to make up for gaps in the educational budget. That's crazy.
Child-care for special needs kids starts at $30 per hour for one child. My oldest would be fine by himself...my younger son, not so much. And his older brother is juuuuust learning how to babysit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Carnival Cruise lines has announced their intent to start (some) sailings again on August 1st. All North American Carnival cruises from June 27 to July 31 will be cancelled. Beginning August 1, Carnival plans to resume cruises on the following ships:
Galveston: Carnival Dream, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Vista
Miami: Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic and Carnival Sensation
Port Canaveral: Carnival Breeze and Carnival Elation.
Other than the above referenced service from Galveston, Miami, and Port Canaveral, all other North American and Australian Carnival homeport cruises will be cancelled through August 31. All Carnival Spirit Alaskan cruises from Seattle will be cancelled, as well as the Carnival Spirit Vancouver-Honolulu cruise on September 25 and the Honolulu-Brisbane transpacific cruise on October 6. All Carnival Splendor cruises in Australia from June 19 to August 31 will be cancelled.
You gotta really, really like cruises to book one for August after what went down recently. I am thinking the upside is the boat will be empty. No line at the buffet. Just clear your calendar for a month or so in case wave 2 hits and you are stuck out at sea for a while ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
You gotta really, really like cruises to book one for August after what went down recently. I am thinking the upside is the boat will be empty. No line at the buffet. Just clear your calendar for a month or so in case wave 2 hits and you are stuck out at sea for a while ;)

And, perhaps, get your crew members home first.

"In U.S. waters alone, there are more than 120 cruise ships with more than 80,000 crew members on board, according to the U.S. Coast Guard."

Patcheslee

So first day back at work, surgical non-N95 masks, antifog safety glasses or wipes, and a paper bag were distributed. Have to be worn at all times except for break, cloth masks are not acceptable. 30 minute training on proper hand washing, mask application and removal, how to properly remove gloves after cleaning. Masks are to be stored in the paperbag and evaluated for cleanliness after each use by the user. We will have to go to the nurse if we need a new mask and it will be evaluated. Our ERT team has been fitted and trained for using N95 masks while on any emergency call. All picnic tables have been replaced with 8ft long tables, 1 chair on each end. Will now work 12 hours 5-7 days until at least Memorial Day.
Since I have prescription glasses I had the wipes: it takes a good 20 minutes to apply and buff so everything isn't blurred. Lasted maybe 3 hours before need another.
A ponytail makes an excellent ear safer for elastic on masks. But I spent way too much time touching and adjusting my mask to avoid condensation instead of fog on my glasses. I've had to slow down some because it is harder to breath and run production at the same pace as before.
There are plexiglass barriers installed between each sink in the restrooms and towel dispensers now. Communication is an issue since I can't read lips now, hopefully coworkers get more patient than today.
Some of these things like the restrooms I could almost see Disney doing like the restroom barriers, but it will still be crowded. Masks for employees, I hope they have a better experience if they are given surgical, and given more breaks/slow cycle time a bit if need be to help them. It's definitely a challenge to balance.

disney4life2008

Considering that they just reopened one of the parking lots at Disney Springs and have been receiving deliveries, I expect something will be open at WDW sooner than June 1. My guess is restaurants at Disney Springs in some capacity.

I think it will then be a wait and see for a couple of weeks and go from there.
Nope. But then again I never was. Prove me wrong Disney 🙂If by WDW you meant the parks.

It's safe Disney Springs will open. I wonder how will they minimize crowds? Locals alone will pack the place.

disney4life2008

So first day back at work, surgical non-N95 masks, antifog safety glasses or wipes, and a paper bag were distributed. Have to be worn at all times except for break, cloth masks are not acceptable. 30 minute training on proper hand washing, mask application and removal, how to properly remove gloves after cleaning. Masks are to be stored in the paperbag and evaluated for cleanliness after each use by the user. We will have to go to the nurse if we need a new mask and it will be evaluated. Our ERT team has been fitted and trained for using N95 masks while on any emergency call. All picnic tables have been replaced with 8ft long tables, 1 chair on each end. Will now work 12 hours 5-7 days until at least Memorial Day.
Since I have prescription glasses I had the wipes: it takes a good 20 minutes to apply and buff so everything isn't blurred. Lasted maybe 3 hours before need another.
A ponytail makes an excellent ear safer for elastic on masks. But I spent way too much time touching and adjusting my mask to avoid condensation instead of fog on my glasses. I've had to slow down some because it is harder to breath and run production at the same pace as before.
There are plexiglass barriers installed between each sink in the restrooms and towel dispensers now. Communication is an issue since I can't read lips now, hopefully coworkers get more patient than today.
Some of these things like the restrooms I could almost see Disney doing like the restroom barriers, but it will still be crowded. Masks for employees, I hope they have a better experience if they are given surgical, and given more breaks/slow cycle time a bit if need be to help them. It's definitely a challenge to balance.

I forgot about hearing and understanding. Imagine being at the emporium with the loud music and asking a question.

TrojanUSC

Considering that they just reopened one of the parking lots at Disney Springs and have been receiving deliveries, I expect something will be open at WDW sooner than June 1. My guess is restaurants at Disney Springs in some capacity.

I think it will then be a wait and see for a couple of weeks and go from there.

That parking lot has been open for a while.

Disney Springs will likely open to appease tenants so long as they can abide by the current 25% indoor requirement and social distancing outside with tables 6' apart.

The parks are going to be not for a few months still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom