Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
IR thermometers only read surface temperature not internal. This will be an issue in Florida summer days.

Source that IR thermometers can't be a good gauge of internal temperature?

Source that IR thermometers are thrown off in various ambient temperature?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Not to mention transportation, meals, etc. It's a logistical nightmare.

I do wonder if we will see a more full-year approach and rotate who is at school vs. distance learning on a quarterly basis and introduce more breaks throughout the year (that could coincide at times where the weather might increase the chance of COVID-19).

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I really do worry about those kids in particular. I'd say more but it'd probably get political and well, we can't have that.

I've seen that tossed out quite a bit when this conversation comes around and if we want to solve for them while maintaining social distancing and safety for everyone, it begs to reason that this might be a solution to that very concern that some have raised here.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Well I am really glad to hear that. Just sounded a bit stressed. May I recommend, getting a adult beverage.. putting on a funny move, I’ll recommend Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Sit back and have a few laughs. Always helps me when I feel the need to go off in here. Well most of the time.
As for the home schooling, I’m sure there’s not good things with some going on with it. But there’s many that is going great. Some are very new to the home schooling thing so they may just need some time to adjust. We need to look at the good things and then try to help where we can with the bad.

There are some who call me...

Lilofan

Krispy Kreme stand alone locations has a Corona virus sale. !! On Saturdays, a customer that buys a dozen glazed donuts at the drive thru gets another dozen glazed donuts FREE!

ImperfectPixie

I do wonder if we will see a more full-year approach and rotate who is at school vs. distance learning on a quarterly basis and introduce more breaks throughout the year (that could coincide at times where the weather might increase the chance of COVID-19).
Not sure how that could work for families with both parents working...

I really hope we see much wider acceptance of working remotely because of all this. Most of the people who I know that telecommute have amazing work ethic.

MickeyLuv'r

Bc it doesn’t matter. Schools can’t stay closed until Covid-19 no longer exists.

1. This school year is almost over.
Potentially, many schools can continue to offer online learning for the few remaining weeks, if they have been operating this long.

2. School systems generally provide teachers with professional development courses over the summer, so if they plan for it, they'll be able to beef up their online offerings come fall.

3. Frankly, the idea of being able to offer online K-12 coursework is long overdue. Goodbye snow days! Hello, online learning-weather days!

4. Let me also put it this way, operating school buses is VERY expensive. Heating and cooling physical school buildings is also very expensive. Online learning is very budget -friendly. Like it or not, now that this can of worms has been opened, now that we see it is feasible, I don't expect it to go away. In the future, I foresee many districts wanting to keep a portion of their learning online. It might only replace weather closure days, or it might continue 1-2 days per week.

5. When has any US public school district ever NOT been under tight budget constraints? And that was BEFORE we hit, how many million people out of work?

I don't think they will be closed until covid-19 no longer exists, but fiscal reality might = keeping school costs down until government funding is restored.

lilypgirl

Well I am really glad to hear that. Just sounded a bit stressed. May I recommend, getting a adult beverage.. putting on a funny move, I’ll recommend Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Sit back and have a few laughs. Always helps me when I feel the need to go off in here. Well most of the time.
As for the home schooling, I’m sure there’s not good things with some going on with it. But there’s many that is going great. Some are very new to the home schooling thing so they may just need some time to adjust. We need to look at the good things and then try to help where we can with the bad.
It's not the same for the child who relies on school for so many of their needs and those are not getting met no matter how many free lunches you provide etc. When your mom is a legit" crackhead" and your 6 your google online lessons aren't getting done. I know my language may be to much or to real for some of you but it's real life for many of these students right now.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Not sure how that could work for families with both parents working...

I really hope we see much wider acceptance of working remotely because of all this. Most of the people who I know that telecommute have amazing work ethic.

There's not a way for it to be perfect. Employers have an opportunity at this time to truly embrace this or look like fools who cater to the bottom line instead of taking care of their employees. I will be surprised if I'm back in an office sometime in the next year on a regular basis. Going remote is going to have to become a necessity for companies now with so much uncertainty as it pertains to families who have kids at home.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This was posted on the other board has some good info in it especially on why theme parks are different from mass gatherings.

This is a pretty good attempt to justify opening attractions. For more local, small scale attractions there are definitely some differences. However, aspects of WDW are like a sports arena (Fantasmic, Indy Stunt show, lion king), movie theater (Philharmagic, Bugs, any number of smaller indoor shows) and concert (Parades, fireworks, dance parties). If we look at their list some things do apply:

WHY ATTRACTIONS ARE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER MASS GATHERINGS
It is important to remember the difference between attractions and other venues for mass gatherings such as sports arenas, movie theaters, and concerts:
1. Capacity can be reduced/managed to allow for appropriate social distancing.
2. Seating positions in rides and attractions are controlled by employees.
3. Exposure time is limited. Guests generally move throughout their experience, much like in an inter-city district or zone. The guests are not sitting in a single location, elbow-to-elbow, for an extended period.
4. A large percentage of attraction attendance is made up of family members and others who live in the same home and thus do not need to be physically distanced from each other.

My comments:
1) They can and will limit capacity. There‘s a lot of outdoor space too which helps with social distancing. Disney may be in better shape than a lot of smaller places for this.
2) They can and will limit ride capacity or stagger seating. It’s not totally controllable but possible. The queue and other lines are harder to control.
3) Yes and no. Certain rides or attractions you move fast through and others can be longer. Not sure this applies as well to Disney as something like a local amusement park with carnival rides.
4) I’m not 100% sure what that means. For a ride with a small ride vehicle you could limit it to just family groups together but how do rides with lager ride vehicles like the safari, Star Tours,ToT and pirates for example work if the capacity is limited to family groups only. That would make for a very limited hourly capacity. They will probably just stagger seating like point #2. Disney probably has more of this than most places.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
1. This school year is almost over.
Potentially, many schools can continue to offer online learning for the few remaining weeks, if they have been operating this long.

2. School systems generally provide teachers with professional development courses over the summer, so if they plan for it, they'll be able to beef up their online offerings come fall.

3. Frankly, the idea of being able to offer online K-12 coursework is long overdue. Goodbye snow days! Hello, online learning-weather days!

4. Let me also put it this way, operating school buses is VERY expensive. Heating and cooling physical school buildings is also very expensive. Online learning is very budget -friendly. Like it or not, now that this can of worms has been opened, now that we see it is feasible, I don't expect it to go away. In the future, I foresee many districts wanting to keep a portion of their learning online. It might only replace weather closure days, or it might continue 1-2 days per week.

5. When has any US public school district ever NOT been under tight budget constraints? And that was BEFORE we hit, how many million people out of work?

I don't think they will be closed until covid-19 no longer exists, but fiscal reality might = keeping school costs down until government funding is restored.

All of this. Couldn't agree more.

It's not the same for the child rely on school for so many of their needs and those are not getting meet no matter how many free lunches you provide etc. When your mom is a legit" crackhead" and your 6 your google online lessons aren't getting done. I know my language may be to much or to real for some of you but it's real life for many of these students right now.

You're right. Those kids need help. School isn't meant to be that purpose though in regards to a way to escape their home with the crackhead mother and wondering if electricity is going to be gone the next day. We need to find another avenue and a way that is more focused in on those kids rather than making schools and those teachers the ones who are supposed to 'rescue' the kid.

Patcheslee

It's really not. Every school already knows the number of students receiving free lunch and that receive special education classes. That takes 10 minutes to pull up.

It can't be all or nothing. We can find middle ground across the board that will suffice.
Some schools qualify for all students to receive free lunch due to the the district being below a set income level. Out of the 5 elementary schools in our town 2 have all students with free lunch. My daughters elementary is not 1 of them but 51% of those students receive free lunch, another 8% reduced. The high school alone has 47% of kids receiving free or reduced lunch

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Some schools qualify for all students to receive free lunch due to the the district being below a set income level. Out of the 5 elementary schools in our town 2 have all students with free lunch. My daughters elementary is not 1 of them but 51% of those students receive free lunch, another 8% reduced. The high school alone has 47% of kids receiving free or reduced lunch

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post. You start with the policy and start to tailor fit it for those kind of situations. There are areas around where I live (DFW) where you could potentially have kids go to those schools (some would be empty I imagine). Bus those kids there with the teachers (who are some of the best in the state) and have them learn there. We need to stop focusing on the district for the medium-term and focus on just getting those kids into a school.

If you have half the number of students for a school with the capacity that is obviously double that, it's a good start though for social distancing while also ensuring the kids most impacted aren't being left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom