Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

esskay

Daily reminder to ignore mortality rates because they are next to useless with so little data.

if 90% of the people infected in a given country are 80 year olds with a heart condition, the mortality rate will be HIGH.

If 90% of people infected in a given country are <50 and in good health, the mortality rate will be LOW.

You can't average it out in most countries due to individual country or region population ages.

In the UK, the median age is 40.5. In Italy its 45.5. So at a broad outlook level, you would expect Italy to have a higher mortality rate than the UK.

Lirael

Interesting news, my company (an international one) has issued a travel ban to Italy, China, South Korea, Iran, Japan and specifically Florida, California and Washington until further notice. Anyone going to these places on their own time must self quarantine at home for 14 days when coming back.

It's interesting that it has done so for Florida given that is not one of the most affected states, while NY is still free to go.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Interesting news, my company (an international one) has issued a travel ban to Italy, China, Iran, Japan and specifically Florida, California and Washington until further notice. Anyone going to these places on their own time must self quarantine at home for 14 days when coming back.

It's interesting that it has done so for Florida given that is not one of the most affected states, while NY is still free to go.
There is a minor outbreak area at Port Everglades. That’s why they might be doing it.

Lirael

There is a minor outbreak area at Port Everglades. That’s why they might be doing it.
Ah, maybe the map I'm tracking hasn't updated yet? I'm seeing it as having less than 50 confirmed so far. I'm assuming they deliberately banned Florida for orlando, which is a common destination vacation in my country

Piebald

Interesting news, my company (an international one) has issued a travel ban to Italy, China, Iran, Japan and specifically Florida, California and Washington until further notice. Anyone going to these places on their own time must self quarantine at home for 14 days when coming back.

My company issued a ban last Monday. No travel for anybody unless approved. Likely only the top leadership team since they fly private jet. This is for a fortune 50 company.

The Mom

Premium Member
Ah, maybe the map I'm tracking hasn't updated yet? I'm seeing it as having less than 50 confirmed so far. I'm assuming they deliberately banned Florida for orlando, which is a common destination vacation in my country

They know that passengers will be coming off of cruise ships, so that will increase the numbers. Also, many people who travel to FL for business also visit tourist attractions on their "off" time.

A PA man attending a conference in FL has tested positive after his return home. It is unclear where he was exposed, but others at the international conference may have been exposed. So, along with participants, it may have spread to restaurant staff, convention staff (there is usually some sort of coffee etc during these conferences) etc. When you add in hotel staff, transportation (airlines, buses, Uber, etc), other people in airports, etc. you find hundreds of people may have been in contact with this one person.

We can only hope that the supposition that you have to have face to face contact in order to be infected is true, and not just something said to ease our fears.

BTW, medicine is not an exact science, so opinions among professionals will vary even when faced with the exact same information. They can only go by current information (which can change quickly) and how diseases have reacted in the past to extrapolate what is most likely to happen, and what would be the best course of action.

Last edited:

ghidorah97

Sorry to bring up facts but all of you realize the normal every year flu has killed 16,000 people already this year? https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/flu-cases-near-30-million-in-the-us-cdc-reports

Why don't we go nuts every year and shut down everything until the flu goes away? Why we don't is that it is economically crippling.

The death told is no where near that high for the new strain which is all it is. Here's a decent story with some facts. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

Your facts ignore the basic facts about the coronavirus. The transmission rate is much higher for COVID-19 than for influenza, and the mortality rate is also higher, particularly for those with underlying medical conditions and over the age of 60. You are quoting raw numbers, not percentages.

Remember that the concern is not that a healthy adult or child becomes infected - in most cases they will recover. The concern is that they transmit the virus and introduce it to someone (or a group of someones) that are within the high risk category.

I really think failure to emphasize exactly who will experience severe symptoms vs. who won't and the real percentages of each are a huge contributor to the panic. Not to mention the media's tendency to lean more heavily towards generating revenue than reporting actual facts, and people's lack of ability to fact-check...both contribute to the spread of falsehoods and panic.
Quick question. I read a while back about a young healthy Chinese Doctor who was treating some of the first virus patients and he died of the Disease. I don’t think I ever read of young healthy doctors dying of the Flu.

Nubs70

Interesting news, my company (an international one) has issued a travel ban to Italy, China, South Korea, Iran, Japan and specifically Florida, California and Washington until further notice. Anyone going to these places on their own time must self quarantine at home for 14 days when coming back.

My company has banned travel to China, S Korea Japan for the last month. Added Italy 2 weeks ago. Added Germany and France yesterday, I expect Spain to be added today

ImperfectPixie

Quick question. I read a while back about a young healthy Chinese Doctor who was treating some of the first virus patients and he died of the Disease. I don’t think I ever read of young healthy doctors dying of the Flu.
Well, having just read up on that doctor, his medical history isn't known.

It's very possible that he may have had some undiagnosed condition that made him vulnerable to severe symptoms...like a heart issue. My husband was healthy as a horse at age 42 and has always had an physically demanding job. He went to the doctor for an annual check up...that doctor thought his heartbeat sounded a little off, so they looked into it. Turns out he had a leaky valve and he had open heart surgery less than two months later. My husband would be considered to be at high risk for severe symptoms from COVID-19 due to his heart - and because of his heart isn't allowed to wear a face mask or respirator of any kind.

Lilofan

Well, having just read up on that doctor, his medical history isn't known.

It's very possible that he may have had some undiagnosed condition that made him vulnerable to severe symptoms...like a heart issue. My husband was healthy as a horse at age 42 and has always had an physically demanding job. He went to the doctor for an annual check up...that doctor thought his heartbeat sounded a little off, so they looked into it. Turns out he had a leaky valve and he had open heart surgery less than two months later. My husband would be considered to be at high risk for severe symptoms from COVID-19 due to his heart - and because of his heart isn't allowed to wear a face mask or respirator of any kind.
That's a great find by the doctor. A number of people I know even with medical insurance have not visited the doctor in many years.

The Mom

Premium Member

We have not had a major city be an epicenter for the flu, with one doctor treating hundreds of patients. The more exposure you have to infected people the higher your risk of being infected yourself. Especially if you do not/can not stop treating them. His conscience would not allow him to go home and take care of himself.

ImperfectPixie

We have not had a major city be an epicenter for the flu, with one doctor treating hundreds of patients. The more exposure you have to infected people the higher your risk of being infected yourself. Especially if you do not/can not stop treating them. His conscience would not allow him to go home and take care of himself.
The really sad part is that he tried to warn others and was accused of starting rumors and spreading false information. 😞

Rich Brownn

The 1918 Flu killed mostly young, healthy people (and left the old alone). It can mutate that way.

DreamalittleDisney

Hand-Washing-Station-Coronavirus3.jpg
These are apparently now in AK according to another site .... wonder how long before you need to book a FP not to be in a 3hr queue 🤣

ImperfectPixie

That's a great find by the doctor. A number of people I know even with medical insurance have not visited the doctor in many years.
It really was. The only thing that bothered us was the he was supposed to have laparoscopic surgery originally, but that surgeon got transferred and the new surgeon didn't think the success rate of laparoscopic surgery was high enough...so hubby has a zipper on his chest now (not that it bothers me - but it DOES bother him sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom