Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishiwere@wdw

I would think your smaller attractions like Wonderworks and Ripleys Believe it or Not or Fun Spot attractions would be able to open in a few weeks after then with adjustments. Not sure how much money they will make without the anchor big parks open drawing tourists in.
I agree. Fun Spot and the other I drive attractions should be far easier to get going. That said, driving by Saturday afternoon (picking up our to-go order nearby) I saw a dumpster in front of Ripley’s front door with workers actively tossing tons of building materials. Not sure if it’s just a remodel, update or something else but I guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With the earnings call on Tuesday, I'd expect something timed before or with that?
What “earnings”?
This cant be right as there are CM's working already. Essential workers have been in the parks during this whole time. Im sure I am missing a few but security, Animal care workers, and some limited engineering types are some of the roles that have been working. Marie
Very different scenario between minimal
Skeleton crew and 60,000 - or some percentage of that...

Labor - as usual - is going to be a huge headache for the old management at wdw.

You will find me in an outdoor situation like the beach far before Disney Springs, and I am not paranoid about it. I just think it is interesting on my personal social media circles were trashing locals who live near the beach, going for physical and mental health, practicing common sense easily, and spreading hate about it, are some of the same excited to go get some Polite Pig, Sprinkles or silly Alcoholic beverages.
The parks around my area are busy with hikers and bikers and all sorts of folks enjoying the outdoors much the same as those who live near beaches. I think there were a lot of interesting camera angles with the beach photos that created the false outrage.

celluloid

What “earnings”?

Very different scenario between minimal
Skeleton crew and 60,000 - or some percentage of that...

Labor - as usual - is going to be a huge headaches for the old management at wdw.

And the workforce who was used to getting 40 hours a week now only likely to get 32 for awhile as things go very slow and budget conscience. As you said, a headache of difference in schedueling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The parks around my area are busy with hikers and bikers and all sorts of folks enjoying the outdoors much the same as those who live near beaches. I think there were a lot of interesting camera angles with the beach photos that created the false outrage.
Not really...states have been tracking adherence to the Rules where restrictions have been eased and big shocker: people have been far too stupid.

As Clark once said: “I couldn’t be more surprised if i woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And the workforce who was used to getting 40 hours a week now only likely to get 32 for awhile as things go very slow and budget conscience. As you said, a headache of difference in schedueling.
Yeah...and I’m not gonna debate this...but it’s something to consider: a large percentage of the wdw hourly workforce is “better off” not going back for now...definitely not on forced reductions

celluloid

Yeah...and I’m not gonna debate this...but it’s something to consider: a large percentage of the wdw hourly workforce is “better off” not going back for now...definitely not on forced reductions
For sure it is a bummer( a lifestyle change to say the least, I am in a similar boat) for them to get the minimum requirement. Safety and concerns on top of getting paid less is a bummer. It becomes the essential worker concern for safety that we have had on top of getting less work with sudden new demands.

peter11435

Some one on another site posted that no CM's are scheduled the week of May 23rd.
Even under normal times no cast members would be scheduled for the week of May 23rd yet. Cast members only receive schedules for the current week and the next. If Covid never happened cast members would only have schedules through May 16th currently.

Also the union contract for the majority of furloughed cast members only require the company to provide 5 days notice before return to work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For sure it is a bummer( a lifestyle change to say the least, I am in a similar boat) for them to get the minimum requirement. Safety and concerns on top of getting paid less is a bummer. It becomes the essential worker concern for safety that we have had on top of getting less work with sudden new demands.
Nothing “essential” going on in fantasized representations of “lands”

Piebald

Weather has been amazing lately in Orlando. Sure, hot and some rain here and there but this is the last of the nice days as we soon head into the horrible humidity and heat. Makes staying home a bit more of a bummer.

I did notice a big change this weekend in people seeming to....care less. Lots more groups outside, bikes, joggers and just more people out. I've noticed a slight reduction in masks although I'd say a good portion of people do wear them. Anecdotally on my social media I saw a huge spike in beach, boats and even general gatherings. You saw the footage in NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc of huge groups of people out enjoying the weather and no masks. I wonder if the nice weather Floridians have been enjoying for essentially this entire time now being spread to the rest of the country is further making people want to be outside more and risking themselves more.

Jrb1979

Weather has been amazing lately in Orlando. Sure, hot and some rain here and there but this is the last of the nice days as we soon head into the horrible humidity and heat. Makes staying home a bit more of a bummer.

I did notice a big change this weekend in people seeming to....care less. Lots more groups outside, bikes, joggers and just more people out. I've noticed a slight reduction in masks although I'd say a good portion of people do wear them. Anecdotally on my social media I saw a huge spike in beach, boats and even general gatherings. You saw the footage in NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc of huge groups of people out enjoying the weather and no masks. I wonder if the nice weather Floridians have been enjoying for essentially this entire time now being spread to the rest of the country is further making people want to be outside more and risking themselves more.
Social distancing doesn't mean stay at home. What I have seen people can't even stay 6 ft apart. It really isn't that hard.

Piebald

Social distancing doesn't mean stay at home. What I have seen people can't even stay 6 ft apart. It really isn't that hard.
You're right it doesnt. But I'm seeing huge groups of people together. Even a nurse friend in Las Vegas today went to some area that looked like canyons then an oasis and there had to be hundreds of people there just hiking and jumping in the water (looked like Havasu maybe)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The inconsistent strategy/messaging naturally breeds this phenomena...

And as usual...the very vocal minority is making the most waves and being covered more - creating the illusion that choices are a 50/50 split when its likely nowhere close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom