Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Mandatory mask order had to be rescinded in Stillwater OK after residents became angry and made threats. I could see this happening in other places.

That's really sad that instead of enforcing the actions, the mayor decided to placate his out-of-line citizens. Must make you feel great if you're one of those who were threatened with violence and yelled/cursed at by this angry mob mentality over something the mayor put in place. Disgusting.

I would assume that people with strollers will the last to return to the parks...I have family that refuse to vaccinate their children for autism risk...they’re not going to Disney anytime soon.

I would think those who won't vaccinate regardless will absolutely be one of those who will return to the parks at any time.

Polynesia

You think all the cast are going to be called back to be begin with?

1) Many won’t return and go from being furloughed to laid off due to lower attendance.
2) Some won’t come back by choice because childcare is an issue.
3) Some won’t come back because they would rather collect unemployment.
4) Some will hey other jobs.

I spoke with a Minnie Van driver on our last day, when the park was closing, and she admitted that they will move a lot of retirees around, and from other parks, to focus on demand as it is needed. I’m not saying she is a insider, but it makes sense.
Cast members won’t be laid off for 12 months as was negotiated by the union. You’re correct that many won’t be called back to start with. Some with low seniority may already have another job. Those over 65 or with health issues may pass on coming back too soon. Cast members have kept their seniority and will most likely be called back by that in their line of business. If someone is in merchantainment which is a resort wide line of business with high seniority at a park not opening they may be able to transfer to one of the parks that is opening. It’s quite the logistical hornets nest for Disney I would imagine.

DVCakaCarlF

Cast members won’t be laid off for 12 months as was negotiated by the union. You’re correct that many won’t be called back to start with. Some with low seniority may already have another job. Those over 65 or with health issues may pass on coming back too soon. Cast members have kept their seniority and will most likely be called back by that in their line of business. If someone is in merchantainment which is a resort wide line of business with high seniority at a park not opening they may be able to transfer to one of the parks that is opening. It’s quite the logistical hornets nest for Disney I would imagine.
I failed to clarify my response, third party vendors or subsidiaries not specifically employed as cast members in Parks and Resorts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Most of the government guidelines call for employers to make accommodations if possible for employees over 65 or high risk to avoid prolonged public contact. It’s not always possible with certain jobs but if they can they may either allow older workers to stay furloughed or switch to a more behind the scenes roll temporarily.

ImperfectPixie

Most of the government guidelines call for employers to make accommodations if possible for employees over 65 or high risk to avoid prolonged public contact. It’s not always possible with certain jobs but if they can they may either allow older workers to stay furloughed or switch to a more behind the scenes roll temporarily.
Is that at the Federal level? Very curious because my husband is high-risk. He's got a zipper scar to prove it.

DVCakaCarlF

The Feds really need to consider parents with children who can no longer attend school and high-risk individuals. Anyone refusing to go back to work not only risks losing their job, but their unemployment as well, and that's not right.
It’s already in place...it’s called the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance or PUA. It specifically addressed instances like the one you are describing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is that at the Federal level? Very curious because my husband is high-risk. He's got a zipper scar to prove it.
It’s the federal guidelines for employers. They say:
Strongly consider SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS for personnel who are members of a VULNERABLE POPULATION.

They define the vulnerable population as:

1. Elderly individuals.
2. Individuals with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune system is compromised such as by chemotherapy for cancer and other conditions requiring such therapy.

They don‘t say what the special accommodations would be but I would assume for an office type job they would continue to allow them to work from home even if the rest of the office comes back. For a place like WDW maybe moving a CM to a role with less direct contact with the public if they can’t work remotely. It could also mean providing more protective equipment or physical barriers around the workspace. Again, where practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom