Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

electric

From a user on the Dis

"
Disney Springs service parking lots are full of cars and it appears they are taking deliveries. Probably getting supplies in and ready to open in a week or two, at least the third party stores/restaurants

"

ImperfectPixie

Here is another interesting website about Herd Immunity https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/herd-immunity
The significant take away is
“Herd immunity is an important element in the balance between the host population and the micro-organism, and represents the degree to which the community is susceptible or not to an infectious disease as a result of members of the population having acquired active immunity from either previous infection or prophylactic immunization (see p. 731).

The key phrase here “having acquired active immunity from either PERVIOUS Infection or prophylactic immunization”.

Fact the Common Cold can be caused by a Coronavirus. Fact the body makes antibodies due to this infection. Fact the testing has been reported as to be rushed (number of proper protocol steps not done) and that the conversion fro RNA to DNA could be inaccurate and it is highly probable that the clusters of people found with antibodies from Coronavirus were not infected by Covid19. Our sources of information are the News Media that only reports sensational snippets of reality to scare the public.

Proper scientific investigation needs to be done by 3 or more non-biased scientists and physicians to establish the truth as to what is going on.

The scientific method is to constantly challenge the results to validate or update the theory. Einstein’s theory of relativity is tested and retested many times. Fact results that have been found to be true by some researchers have been found to be untrue by others because of contamination.

Right now the world is in fear mode that is being fanned by the Media. To overcome this one must do their own research and determine bias of the reporters and sift for the truth. If we are lemmings and blindly follow then it is full bio protection suits for all “the Sky is falling, the sky is falling”.
Dude. Just stop.

COVID-19 is a NOVEL coronavirus. In 100 years we MIGHT be at a point where it can be counted among those that cause the common cold, but as of right now, it freaking isn't.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The parks are a different animal all together.
ParksAnimal.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Herd immunity for CV19 is somewhere between 30-75% of the population (the large range is because we have no definitive infectiousness rate).

Let's call it 40%.

The population of the U.S. is 380 million.

So, that means for herd immunity in the U.S., 152 million people need to catch CV19 and recover with immunity (that immunity is likely, but not guaranteed).

The infected mortality rate of CV19 is anywhere from 0.10% to 0.36%. Let's call it 0.20%.

That means to get to herd immunity, 760,00 people need to die first. So far, we're at about 68,000 (it's probably higher).

So, take the number who've died so far, and have that happen 9 more times to get to herd immunity.

That means keeping the curve flat enough so as not to peak again and overwhelm our health care system... over the course of nine times the death.

And that's a conservative estimate.

OR... we can do contact tracing as a containment strategy. Which the U.S. is a long way from being prepared to do.

Disstevefan1

The first meeting of the day for the Orange county Florida re opening task force just ended. And rep from Disney kept to the messaging "closed until further notice" , no opening date, the Disney rep acknowledged, even though the website is taking reservations for dates starting June 1, there was no opening date.

Also talked about in the meeting, others in the meeting brought up, "they hoped WDW would not be closed for the rest of the year". I heard rumors about that, but to be actually talked about in the meetings is really scary!!!

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The first meeting of the day for the task Orange county Florida re opening task force just ended. And rep from Disney kept to the messaging "closed until further notice" , no opening date, the Disney rep acknowledged, even though the website is taking reservations for dates starting June 1, there was no opening date.

Also talked about in the meeting, others in the meeting brought up, "they hoped WDW would not be closed for the rest of the year". I heard rumors about that, but to be actually talked about in the meetings is really scary!!!
Good info. For Disney financially it’s actually not too bad that at least some doubt exists that the parks will open this year. Then when they do it’s a bump for the stock price. If they don’t open....yes, really scary.

I will stick with what I said in the first dozen or so pages of this thread when someone said they were worried about a NYE reservation. If WDW isn’t open by New Years we have much bigger problems than WDW not being open.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No

Here is Scientific Hypothesis that needs to be researched;

1. Are there more than one type of coronavirus
2. How can the different strains be identified
3. Are the antibodies created in the body differentiated and identified as coming from exposure to different strains of the virus
4. What is the accuracy of the testing protocols
5. Are results discussed and analyzed by true scientists and medical professionals
6. Are the results challenged and then verified by outside researchers
7. Has a sample of 100 to 1,000 infected in the hot spot clusters been done comparing the same sample sized group from an area that is remote to a hot spot cluster? Determining this distance is very important.
etc.

You missed a critical one... 'which and how much antibodies are needed to achieve immunity'

That's what the antibodies tests today don't confirm.. Just confirming exposure confirms that alone... not everything people assume 'antibodies testing' leads to.

ImperfectPixie

Uh. I guess being an ostrich is the way to go. Sorry for presenting anything that can stimulate critical thinking or cause questioning of wide ranging non supportable “factoids” being reported.
When doing research one must look at the bias of those reporting and choose many sources to corroborate facts but if the take away is stop talking about the common cold and its causes (before Covid19) OK we will just revision out that scientifically proven and reported fact. Let the book burning continue.
Thanks, I actually do know how to do research. And yes, I've read many of the medical and scientific studies about SARS-CoV-2. Apparently, you haven't.

ZoneOfTheEnder

You missed a critical one... 'which and how much antibodies are needed to achieve immunity'

That's what the antibodies tests today don't confirm.. Just confirming exposure confirms that alone... not everything people assume 'antibodies testing' leads to.
Excellent point. Let’s add that.

WDW862

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That not what was stated in that link. It was a different perspective, but whatever
Someone a few pages back posted that they had heard some 3rd party vendors were calling employees back starting next week. I think they said May 11. Could still be just to start prep work or training but an actual opening seems pretty close either way. I don’t know all the logistics of the parking at Disney Springs but I would assume employees of 3rd party vendors would be allowed in the CM parking area or do they park somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom