Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I agree, and in many cases, stock photos.
"Social Distancing is not happening at WDW as park reopens to guests following 10 week shutdown"
GT3QPRZEC5NHJVA55QD57SVBCU.jpg

robhedin

Nothing “essential” going on in fantasized representations of “lands”
That’s just not true. At a minimum, you e got security to ensure things are safe and protected; people need to care for animals; basic maintenance on multimillion dollar equipment; some form of basic landscaping maintenance to ensure things aren’t overrun; if there is construction going on, that opens up for even more.

granted it’s not many people but there are some required.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s just not true. At a minimum, you e got security to ensure things are safe and protected; people need to care for animals; basic maintenance on multimillion dollar equipment; some form of basic landscaping maintenance to ensure things aren’t overrun; if there is construction going on, that opens up for even more.

granted it’s not many people but there are some required.

That’s not what I meant...

I meant that the operation is nowhere near “essential” if the overall health risk is deemed to be unknown or too high.

robhedin

That’s not what I meant...

I meant that the operation is nowhere near “essential” if the overall health risk is deemed to be unknown or too high.
True, but whether or not you or I think that's the case, the state has determined that those risks don't meet that criteria at the moment, hence why they allow those jobs to be classified as "essential" (so far).

smooch

I’ve had to change my flights because of an animal on board as I’m severely allergic to certain types of dogs. I can handle the hypo allergenic dogs. If I see a dog in a restaurant or store I leave immediately. I do understand the need for service dogs but it would be nice if they had a few flights that didn’t allow animals. At least the airlines have been very accommodating in letting me switch flights.

I know this post is a few pages back but I want to say thank you for being understanding. I have a now retired service dog for my Type 1 Diabetes and he has full public access, not just my pet in a vest I bought online which makes me genuinely angry, and I have flown with him a handful of times and I never experienced anyone challenge me or bring up allergies. However, in high school I hung in the theater with my friends cause I wasn't a theater kid but they all were and there was a substitute teacher that day and when I was in there she noticed my dog after a while and demanded I left because "some kids might be scared or allergic" and I tried to explain to her that service dogs have full public access even if someone is allergic it isn't up to the person with the dog to find that out and leave. She was very rude and stubborn and I decided I would just leave for the day she was there and not deal with the headache but I guess I just want to say thank you for being so understanding for people with genuine service dogs. I always tried to frame people's perspective of if it was my Guide Dog would you tell me to leave with my dog? Just cause I can see doesn't mean his job is any less valid.

Kevin_W

The testing that is being done does it specifically 100% confirm the antibodies were caused by Covid19 and/or Coronavirus exposure caused by the Common Cold? How accurate is the testing and have all the steps for doing the tests been done? The conversion (might not be the right word) of the viruses RNA to DNA can be effected during the process and cause poor interpretations or generalizations.

Yes, the antibody tests that have been/are being done are specific for Covid-19 and not other coronovirus exposure. The new Rouche test that was just approced claims 100% accuracy for detecting the presence of Covid anitbodies and 99.8% accuracy at ruling out their presence.

DisneyOutsider

What are likely going to be the official/WDW reactions when a person has bought several days on property and several day passes + the travel fees, etc. (+) - and fails some "test" at the first gate....will they be just sent home and say tuff luck?

Comprehensive travel insurance is about to become a very high-demand product.

Polynesia

I know this post is a few pages back but I want to say thank you for being understanding. I have a now retired service dog for my Type 1 Diabetes and he has full public access, not just my pet in a vest I bought online which makes me genuinely angry, and I have flown with him a handful of times and I never experienced anyone challenge me or bring up allergies. However, in high school I hung in the theater with my friends cause I wasn't a theater kid but they all were and there was a substitute teacher that day and when I was in there she noticed my dog after a while and demanded I left because "some kids might be scared or allergic" and I tried to explain to her that service dogs have full public access even if someone is allergic it isn't up to the person with the dog to find that out and leave. She was very rude and stubborn and I decided I would just leave for the day she was there and not deal with the headache but I guess I just want to say thank you for being so understanding for people with genuine service dogs. I always tried to frame people's perspective of if it was my Guide Dog would you tell me to leave with my dog? Just cause I can see doesn't mean his job is any less valid.
You’re very welcome. It’s easy for me to just leave an establishment and come back later. On a flight from Orlando to LAX there was a service fog in first class and the flight attendant let me move to the back of the plane. I upped my asthma medications, popped a prednisone and it worked out just fine. We all need to work together and understand each other’s needs to make it work. If I feel it’s a threat I just adjust accordingly🙂

wishiwere@wdw

The test to see if you have the COVID-19 Coronavirus is definitely not picking up infections from other strains of coronavirus. If you can point to a respected scientific source that makes that claim, I'd like to see it.

This diagnostic test is pretty accurate, though is it woefully unavailable in the U.S. We should -- at the very least -- be testing half a million a day. More like 5 million a day. We're currently at 200K a day thanks to snafus and delays at CDC, FDA, and Federal Administration.

The test for the antigen to see if you had it, OTOH, has huge problems due to the lack of FDA oversight (the exact opposite of the FDA being overly strict with the diagnostic tests). Those tests can give as much as 50% false positives, depending on which company you get it from.

So, yes, it's likely that a lot more people had had the infection than testing has shown -- mostly because we were only testing people with severe symptoms. But, it's also as likely that deaths are undercounted too. As has been posted in this thread many, many times, there is a "death bump" in statistics which is more than what is being attributed to COVID.

COVID-19 has killed more people in the U.S. in two months than the regular flu does in 12 months. And that's with two months of lockdowns trying to slow it down. That should tell you all you need to know. And that's just using the deaths ascribed to CV19. It doesn't even include "the bump" which makes it much worse.
Not disagreeing with you one bit. In fact, your point is well taken because it’s been a big problem throughout the country. But I did want to point out that the antigen tests FL is receiving this week are in fact FDA approved. These tests, combined with an even larger availability of the Covid 19 tests were a big contributing factor to the phase 1 reopening this week being approved. And with all that said, expect our numbers to jump significantly throughout the week not because of the partial reopening but because of the increase in testing. Which is a good thing 😀

Lilofan

Well that's the other issue with masks in general - people must remove them to eat or drink. How long does someone have to enjoy their coke and churro before they're shouted at, either by another guest or a CM, to put the mask on.
The hole puncher that sits on the shelf underutilized can serve an important purpose. A perfect sized hole in my face mask so I can fit the straw to drink my beer at DHS.

Kevin_W

All of this is probably true, but most of the states reporting significant excess deaths are from those states that are massively impacted; the reason for those deaths are unknown - maybe people are avoiding the hospital for example.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but take a read of: https://reason.com/2020/04/29/what-excess-deaths-do-and-dont-tell-us-about-covid-19/ which talks about this exact issue. The bottom line is that we just don't know the full scope of the impact. It may be higher than we think, it may be lower. Until we get much better testing rolled out, all we're doing is guessing.

Interesting article. Thanks.

ZoneOfTheEnder

Of course, a basic knowledge of immunology goes a long way, too. Suggesting that antibodies “spread” or “passed along” does not suggest such knowledge. Both antigens and antibodies are quite specific. That’s why they are involved in “specific” (or adaptive) immunity. A well-regulated test is extremely specific.
Here is another interesting website about Herd Immunity https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/herd-immunity
The significant take away is
“Herd immunity is an important element in the balance between the host population and the micro-organism, and represents the degree to which the community is susceptible or not to an infectious disease as a result of members of the population having acquired active immunity from either previous infection or prophylactic immunization (see p. 731).

The key phrase here “having acquired active immunity from either PERVIOUS Infection or prophylactic immunization”.

Fact the Common Cold can be caused by a Coronavirus. Fact the body makes antibodies due to this infection. Fact the testing has been reported as to be rushed (number of proper protocol steps not done) and that the conversion fro RNA to DNA could be inaccurate and it is highly probable that the clusters of people found with antibodies from Coronavirus were not infected by Covid19. Our sources of information are the News Media that only reports sensational snippets of reality to scare the public.

Proper scientific investigation needs to be done by 3 or more non-biased scientists and physicians to establish the truth as to what is going on.

The scientific method is to constantly challenge the results to validate or update the theory. Einstein’s theory of relativity is tested and retested many times. Fact results that have been found to be true by some researchers have been found to be untrue by others because of contamination.

Right now the world is in fear mode that is being fanned by the Media. To overcome this one must do their own research and determine bias of the reporters and sift for the truth. If we are lemmings and blindly follow then it is full bio protection suits for all “the Sky is falling, the sky is falling”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here is another interesting website about Herd Immunity https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/herd-immunity
The significant take away is
“Herd immunity is an important element in the balance between the host population and the micro-organism, and represents the degree to which the community is susceptible or not to an infectious disease as a result of members of the population having acquired active immunity from either previous infection or prophylactic immunization (see p. 731).

The key phrase here “having acquired active immunity from either PERVIOUS Infection or prophylactic immunization”.

Fact the Common Cold can be caused by a Coronavirus. Fact the body makes antibodies due to this infection. Fact the testing has been reported as to be rushed (number of proper protocol steps not done) and that the conversion fro RNA to DNA could be inaccurate and it is highly probable that the clusters of people found with antibodies from Coronavirus were not infected by Covid19. Our sources of information are the News Media that only reports sensational snippets of reality to scare the public.

Proper scientific investigation needs to be done by 3 or more non-biased scientists and physicians to establish the truth as to what is going on.

The scientific method is to constantly challenge the results to validate or update the theory. Einstein’s theory of relativity is tested and retested many times. Fact results that have been found to be true by some researchers have been found to be untrue by others because of contamination.

Right now the world is in fear mode that is being fanned by the Media. To overcome this one must do their own research and determine bias of the reporters and sift for the truth. If we are lemmings and blindly follow then it is full bio protection suits for all “the Sky is falling, the sky is falling”.
You’re shouting at the wind/propogating conspiracy theories.

Nobody is doubting the importance of herd immunity. That does not equate “no big deal”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom