Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

So yea, go keep reading that list to yourself if it makes ya feel better, but stop doing the rest of the world a disservice by passing it off as people worrying about nothing. I’m tired of seeing this passed around without putting everything on it into context.
It's not worrying about nothing. It's just that we live in a social media world where there are literally information sent out everywhere. Paranoia and panic is already on most minds but it would be better if one should continue to live life as normal but do proper precautions on themselves and their families.

esskay

I'd imagine buffets will either become somewhere nobody wants to be, or will change how they operate for a while. Even if it means you have to ask them to plate it up for you.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I think somewhere on this thread somebody asked about impact on Disney buffets. Just found out that MGM Resorts in Vegas have closed their buffets and will make a decision on reopening them on a weekly basis.
That's unfortunate but better safe than sorry that MGM Grand, ARIA, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Luxor, and Excalibur in Las Vegas have all shut down their buffets.

Last edited:

FutureCEO

So yea, go keep reading that list to yourself if it makes ya feel better, but stop doing the rest of the world a disservice by passing it off as people worrying about nothing. I’m tired of seeing this passed around without putting everything on it into context.

The fact of the matter is that even IF estimates for death rates are overblown currently, it could be off by a factor of 10 and still be 3 times as deadly as the flu and a widespread infection would be different from anything on that list.

Should we panic? No. But should we do what you’re doing? Absolutely not. Steps need to be taken to contain this. Full stop.

I wasn't saying the disease is nothing. It's just that people shouldn't stop living their lives and buying 2 or more bags of toilet paper at Costco or BJ's.

Another example of a horrible disease that has no cure or vaccine is Triple EEE. Yes, it's nothing like Corona or the others but still horrible none the less.

fradz

Buffets at DLP have moved to disposable cutlery
and staff will serve the food, the guests will not touch the food at the buffet anymore.

edit: maybe i'm mixing up with the cruise ships. I don't remember where I saw that now 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

John park hopper

and staff will serve the food, the guests will not touch the food at the buffet anymore.
Good idea on Disney's part I never thought a self serve buffet were very sanitary from what I have experienced most people have no concept of cross contamination and kids forget it they just reach in and grab.

Last edited:

lisa12000

I have to admit reading these threads and on other boards is driving me mental, and actually raising my anxiety levels tbh - I genuinely wish that I knew exactly what I was doing in April (im due to travel from UK on 26th) rather than having this sliver of hope that things may get better before then! I also work for an exam board in the UK so im stressed about our summer exams as well and the effect it has on my income :(. Holiday lost I can cope with, income lost I cant so im almost hoping now that WDW shuts asap, I can cancel and get refunded my money as much as possible and that we go into lockdown in the UK asap so by exam time some semblance of normality will come back - yep feeling rather depressed this morning.

seascape

I have to admit reading these threads and on other boards is driving me mental, and actually raising my anxiety levels tbh - I genuinely wish that I knew exactly what I was doing in April (im due to travel from UK on 26th) rather than having this sliver of hope that things may get better before then! I also work for an exam board in the UK so im stressed about our summer exams as well and the effect it has on my income :(. Holiday lost I can cope with, income lost I cant so im almost hoping now that WDW shuts asap, I can cancel and get refunded my money as much as possible and that we go into lockdown in the UK asap so by exam time some semblance of normality will come back - yep feeling rather depressed this morning.
I can't believe I am saying this, but I would cancel your trip. Not because I think Orlando is unsafe but because you have to fly. If you get any type of illness and have a temperature, you will not be able to fly. Besides, if you come down with it or any disease, you could have to quarantine yourself for two weeks and if it were at the end of your vacation that means 2 more weeks of hotel bills and room service. Very expensive.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Im at Wdw now. If you had no access to outside news you really would never know there was a virus going on. They have put up hand sanitizer stations throughout parks. Ive seen only three people wearing surgical masks and they were in the same group. Its pretty much business as usual from a guest facing standpoint.

Overlordkitty

Humans are naturally reactive rather than proactive. Everyone likes to point to Y2K as nothing and an overreaction, but there was a lot of work done to ensure that nothing happened.

Are there people panicking now, yes? But I think we also shouldn't dismiss some of the precautions that are being taken such as cancelling conferences. My concern is that if it doesn't get as bad as it could have been, people will dismiss the efforts taken to contain as a complete overreaction. The cancellations and other precautions are part of why it might not have been so bad.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is why I think a two week shutdown right now is the best thing. Everything is being cancelled right now anyway but if you get it over with now then the hospitals won't be overwhelmed later and we won't be living in this cloud of uncertainty for the next 6 months.
What does a two week shut down accomplish? The virus will still be out there.

seascape

Not to mention that we've already had someone break quarantine and we're just at the beginning. I just can't get over how ignorant and self-centered people can be.
People who break quarantine and spread Covid19 should be criminally charged for case they caused and if someone dies, that is felony murder. There is no excuse for such behavior.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Also relevant (US statistics for the years provided):
- Y2K: no infections, no deaths
- Anthrax: 22 infections, including 5 deaths (22.73% fatality rate, but a targeted attack)
- West Nile: 4,156 infections, 284 deaths (6.83% fatality rate)
- Bird flu: no infections, no deaths
- E. Coli: 276 infections, 3 deaths (1.09% fatality rate)
- Financial Crisis: no infections, probably some deaths though there’d be no real way to get an accurate count
- Swine Flu: 57,000,000 infections, 11,690 deaths (0.02% fatality rate)
- Mayan Calendar: no infections, no deaths
- North Korea: no infections, no deaths
- Ebola: 11 infections, 2 deaths (18.18% fatality rate)
- ISIS: 25 injuries, 14 deaths (35.9% fatality rate, but targeted attacks)
- Zika Virus: 5,168 infections, 1 death (from what I can find. 0.02% fatality rate)

- Coronavirus: 1,000 infections, 32 deaths as of writing (3.2% fatality rate)

The fact of the matter is that even IF estimates for death rates are overblown currently, it could be off by a factor of 10 and still be 3 times as deadly as the flu and a widespread infection would be different from anything on that list.

Should we panic? No. But should we do what you’re doing? Absolutely not. Steps need to be taken to contain this. Full stop.

Are the numbers for the Ebola line just Americans? Because for sure there were more infections and more deaths worldwide, with that one.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

I hope you're able to make a plan B somewhere along the line and start to feel a little better about all this. Uncertainty sucks.

lisa12000

I can't believe I am saying this, but I would cancel your trip. Not because I think Orlando is unsafe but because you have to fly. If you get any type of illness and have a temperature, you will not be able to fly. Besides, if you come down with it or any disease, you could have to quarantine yourself for two weeks and if it were at the end of your vacation that means 2 more weeks of hotel bills and room service. Very expensive.

Not so easy right now over here - if I cancel now I would lose my total airfare as there is not a cancellation policy in place with Virgin at all atm. Only way I can get that back is if the FCO put in place restrictions to fly to the US - its just a bloody nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom