Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with you on this. You kind of have to lowball based on paranoia. If I were fighting for unemployment, not sure of my job and when it restarts, I'd be looking for a new one by now. WDW at the rate they have borrowed, millions lost per day and what is it 40+ thousand furloughed; I'd say it's time.
I know it’s tough on people, but it’s not Disney’s fault that the state of FL unemployment system is so botched up. They should not be pressured to open before they are ready because of that. It’s a tough pill to swallow for workers, but there are people out of work across many industries and cities. The debt thing is hyped a lot, but from what I understand the amount of available cash they have could last them over a year and they are still in the investment grade category so they could borrow a bunch more at relatively low rates. From a long term business prospective it would be much more damaging for them to open too soon and face a PR nightmare. I think they will be patient and smart about things and look to open as soon as it’s possible to do so.

robhedin

Had anyone heard of any change to the 14 day quarantine rule that DeSantis put in place for non Floridians?? I don't think most people could do a self quarantine for 14 days to then have a7 day vacation after that. Marie
It's still in effect, BUT...

The rules (20-80, 20-82, and 20-86) as written call out that people must self quarantine for 14 days if they come from: "places with substantial community spread", specifically Louisiana and the NYC Area; people coming from other areas do not have to quarantine.

Hawaii, on the other hand, is taking a hardline stance and quarantining everyone, including random checks.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don’t see Disney opening the full resort while those state specific restrictions are in place.
We are only just now moving to phase 1 of re-opening the state next Monday. There will be multiple phases in the coming weeks and months but they are not publishing a hard schedule so they can analyze and adjust as they go. Nothing indicates we'll see anything opening in the big theme parks in the month of May. As has already been noted, the big theme parks are developing their own re-opening plans in coordination with both the state and the local cities/counties and when they are ready and in sync with the local and state governments they'll publish those plans. The latest indications are that we should not expect anything from Disney before the earnings call next week and even then it will likely just be a high level framework, not a hard date.

DCBaker

Premium Member
This is from the State task force, not at county level.

"According to the Reopen Florida Task Force recommendations, theme parks may consider reopening with capacity limitations, strict social distancing, and proper measures to clean and disinfect in a Phase 2 of the reopening plans.

By Phase 3, theme parks would be able to return to normal operations with limited social distancing protocols, according to the Reopen Florida Task Force recommendations sent to the Florida Governor."

DisneyCane

"According to the Reopen Florida Task Force recommendations, theme parks may consider reopening with capacity limitations, strict social distancing, and proper measures to clean and disinfect in a Phase 2 of the reopening plans.

By Phase 3, theme parks would be able to return to normal operations with limited social distancing protocols, according to the Reopen Florida Task Force recommendations sent to the Florida Governor."

I still have not found anywhere what the definitions of strict, moderate and limited social distancing are. The definitions would be very helpful to envision WDW operations.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
We are only just now moving to phase 1 of re-opening the state next Monday. There will be multiple phases in the coming weeks and months but they are not publishing a hard schedule so they can analyze and adjust as they go. Nothing indicates we'll see anything opening in the big theme parks in the month of May.

I feel like most of this is theater to keep those who have booked (or are planning trips) the idea that something is happening. But I still don't see anything actually happening anytime soon.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So, when do you expect the parks to reopen?

We do not have a date at this time but the current indicators suggest they will likely begin a slow opening in June which is when the state of Florida is 'currently' expected to move into Phase 3 of the reopening of the overall state economy. However, if the early stages of the reopening starting Monday do not go well that could push out, which is exactly why there is no date out there yet. The plan for WDW to reopen (and likely Universal as well) is pretty well fleshed out but until they and the local and state governments agree they are ready they will not publish a date. I also do not expect to see the opening date announced much more than 2-3 weeks before the actual opening. They fully understand that they'll have to start bringing cast members back from furlough to begin ramp up to the open and will need to be ready to announce the reopening plan when they start that process.

DisneyDebRob

I still have not found anywhere what the definitions of strict, moderate and limited social distancing are. The definitions would be very helpful to envision WDW operations.
Everyone keeps things as vague as possible. Happens everywhere. Then when asked they usually tap dance with the answers. We do need specifics, not only for WDW but anyone of us wanting info wherever we are. We usually find a set of rules, then when asked, out come the many exceptions.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
We do not have a date at this time but the current indicators suggest they will likely begin a slow opening in June which is when the state of Florida is 'currently' expected to move into Phase 3 of the reopening of the overall state economy. However, if the early stages of the reopening starting Monday do not go well that could push out, which is exactly why there is no date out there yet. The plan for WDW to reopen (and like Universal as well) is pretty well fleshed out but until they and the local and state governments agree they are ready they will not publish a date. I also do not expect to see the opening date announced much more than 2-3 weeks before the actual opening. They fully understand that they'll have to start bringing cast members back from furlough to begin ramp up to the open and will need to be ready to announce the reopening plan when they start that process.

So, you don't have an idea. But, it shows that plans are "in place" and things are moving forward which is why I mentioned the theater bit earlier. It's not that I disagree with their plans, it's that I don't believe a reopening will happen within the next two months (at least). I just know that if I was running a business, I'd want to keep customers, shareholders, and the press thinking that things are moving. So, I don't disagree with what Disney is doing in that regard. That's all I was saying.

DisneyDebRob

We do not have a date at this time but the current indicators suggest they will likely begin a slow opening in June which is when the state of Florida is 'currently' expected to move into Phase 3 of the reopening of the overall state economy. However, if the early stages of the reopening starting Monday do not go well that could push out, which is exactly why there is no date out there yet. The plan for WDW to reopen (and likely Universal as well) is pretty well fleshed out but until they and the local and state governments agree they are ready they will not publish a date. I also do not expect to see the opening date announced much more than 2-3 weeks before the actual opening. They fully understand that they'll have to start bringing cast members back from furlough to begin ramp up to the open and will need to be ready to announce the reopening plan when they start that process.
The problem with this is that each phase, whether they say it or not needs 3-4 weeks to see if it spikes. If they go by 2 weeks and say everything is ok then they could be in phase 3 by the time, if it were to happen, to see the original spike from phase one to occur. If by going by the guideline of each phase given 3-4 weeks, that could mean Disney in July?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The problem with this is that each phase, whether they say it or not needs 3-4 weeks to see if it spikes. If they go by 2 weeks and say everything is ok then they could be in phase 3 by the time, if it were to happen, to see the original spike from phase one to occur. If by going by the guideline of each phase given 3-4 weeks, that could mean Disney in July?

It's imprecise as possible which effectively makes it... useless. Except, of course, to keep the narrative in their court rather than anyone else's.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Based on what the local and now state task forces are saying is the ball is firmly in the court of Disney and Universal to come up with exactly what strict social distancing looks like. It appears that at the local level the government wants to do everything in their power to get the parks open as soon as phase 2 starts. It will be up to Disney/Universal/Sea World to decide if that‘s going to happen. I think if they knew phase 2 was going to be short lived they would consider just waiting but if we are talking months not weeks then they will probably setup the hoops to jump through.

I would assume that at a minimum “strict social distancing“ would mean either a guarantee that people stay 6 feet apart (tape on ground in queues, virtual queues, tables spaced 6 feet apart) Thats been the protocol mostly everywhere. I would also assume by its nature strict social distancing would mean no large gatherings like parades, fireworks, theater shows where it’s just not practical to keep people apart. I have no idea how you do transport under those rules. The other alternative is they would require everyone to wear a mask. Solves the issue of it not being practical to always be 6 feet apart but creates an enforcement nightmare.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Based on what the local and now state task forces are saying is the ball is firmly in the court of Disney and Universal to come up with exactly what strict social distancing looks like. It appears that at the local level the government wants to do everything in their power to get the parks open as soon as phase 2 starts. It will be up to Disney/Universal/Sea World to decide if that‘s going to happen. I think if they knew phase 2 was going to be short lived they would consider just waiting but if we are talking months not weeks then they will probably setup the hoops to jump through.

I would assume that at a minimum “strict social distancing“ would mean either a guarantee that people stay 6 feet apart (tape on ground in queues, virtual queues, tables spaced 6 feet apart) Thats been the protocol mostly everywhere. I would also assume by its nature strict social distancing would mean no large gatherings like parades, fireworks, theater shows where it’s just not practical to keep people apart. I have no idea how you do transport under those rules. The other alternative is they would require everyone to wear a mask. Solves the issue of it not being practical to always be 6 feet apart but creates an enforcement nightmare.

And this is what gives me pause (in bold). Not fear, as many would accuse, but pause.

donsullivan

Premium Member
And this is what gives me pause. Not fear, as many would accuse, but pause.
Pause about what exactly? Do you have a trip scheduled in the next 6-8 weeks that is going to be impacted by the lack of a firmed start of the reopening date? If not why do you care so much and demand a precise opening date right now when it is totally clear to anyone paying attention is not available because the state is not at that level of readiness for them to reopen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom