Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Florida has enhanced the detail provided by the dashboard today. You can see monitoring trends and testing trends by county. Testing is displayed as a weekly positive percentage to smooth the daily fluctuations.

Communicora

Premium Member
And shouldn't these people be used to having to wear masks while not at WDW? If parents are concerned about their kids compliance they could start getting them used to it now. They will probably have to wear them when schools eventually reopen. WDW shouldn't be the first place they encounter a mask.

Seanual757

So do you think they wait until phase 3 to re-open or try to do it in June some time either way? I guess Disney is working directly with the state so they know better when phase 3 is actually expected. I think it would be better for Disney and guests to wait until phase 3.

I am still thinking 6/1 soft opening to guests staying on property this allows them to track the guests movements you can limit the amount of guests at the parks and she how crowd levels are. Give the soft opening a 14-21 day test this could be an estimated 25% capacity, and then open to APH and FL residents.

The Orange County's opening plan might give us some insight on when the county will allow them in what phase. It's a fine line both safety and sinking the local economy into a much deeper recession and and economic fallout some businesses will never recover from. Now Disney will not be one of them at this time the bigger you are the harder you fall. Disney rely's on 85% of it's visitors from out of the state, the question is are they willing to travel and even if they are seats to Orlando have been cut by 93% since the ourbreak and I do not see demand for air travel to return for a good 24-36 months for pre-covid-19 levels.

The longer the parks sit idle the more likely it will take that much longer to recover, with more and more people being out of work for longer the less likely people will be able to recover enough to spend the money on a Disney vacation. As it is Disney was at the max of many families budgets and with folks out of work on unemployment only bringing in say a 1/3 of a month’s pay you may not see those folks back for years if at all.

Will Disney have restrictions in place absolutely if you think they won’t you are in denial. If you choose not to go that is your choice bottom line is Disney officials on the task force have laid out plans on how to open the parks to the Florida economic reopening group. Now it's up to the county to choose the direction they feel we need to go but Tuesday will be the day that Disney has said they will lay out plans on re-opening.

The shareholders will have allot of say as well you can bet they are pushing Disney to open as soon as possible for them to start to recover from the losses already. In the earnings call I expect Disney to report major losses I expect triple that of Comcast Universals.

I do know the parks are a mess they are very dirty (my contact at Disney has explained nobody is cleaning just the security officers on site) pollen from the trees, and sand from construction it will take approx 10-14 days to get them up to par ready for guests plan on another week to get all of the rides prepped for social distancing including wash stations, and hand sanitizing stations at the parks and resorts.

In the end none of us know we are all hoping that Disney does open soon and we would all love to put this nightmare behind us.

Last edited:

dolbyman

Got an email from my travel insurance last week saying, "If you (were allowed to) travel and get sick with Covid, not covered.. Thanks for your (employer paid) monthly fees though!"

We moved our trip to WDW/Cruise/WDW to end of September, hope they change those rules, otherwise we have to reschedule again, getting sick in the US without insurance ? no way ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think that there would be a lot of sympathy as all the cast members will be mandated to wear masks. Plus people not following the rules will be confronted by other guests. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions lately., Remember that you wearing a mask is not for your safety it's for others safety. I unfortunately don't think that masks will be mandated, but if they are and somebody does not like it they have every right to vote with their wallets else-wear. Just like people who don't like the mandatory TSA screening or bag checks, which are also for other peoples safety.
Being confronted by another guest...sounds magical ;)

If they require masks at WDW in the summer that’s just not going to work. If the only 2 choices are masks or stay closed it’s my opinion that WDW won’t open until the fall.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Got an email from my travel insurance last week saying, "If you (were allowed to) travel and get sick with Covid, not covered.. Thanks for your (employer paid) monthly fees though!"

We moved our trip to WDW/Cruise/WDW to end of September, hope they change those rules, otherwise we have to reschedule again, getting sick in the US without insurance ? no way ...

You have employer paid travel insurance? Never even heard of that!

Incomudro

And shouldn't these people be used to having to wear masks while not at WDW? If parents are concerned about their kids compliance they could start getting them used to it now. They will probably have to wear them when schools eventually reopen. WDW shouldn't be the first place they encounter a mask.

It's hot in Florida.
Most people aren't wearing masks for extended periods of time.
They are putting them on to enter a store and taking them off when they leave.
Children, for the most part - really aren't going anywhere lately.
How many of them are wearing masks?

Jrb1979

Anyone else catch the " we will strongly encourage and in some cases require face masks." I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney do the same. Looks like wearing masks are most likely going to happen

jmp85

If a second wave comes I’ve read they’re most worried about states that haven’t had many cases. It was mentioned the middle of the US would be most vulnerable. I’d think cities and states hardest hit now would still see a wave but perhaps not as severe. This virus has been around a good six to eight weeks before states started to shut down which would explain why there aren’t cases tied to Disney World when they closed. I suspect people did become ill in all states weeks before from visiting tourist areas. If I had a choice where to be for a second wave I’d chose an area already hard hit where more people are hopefully already immune. Just my opinion

Maybe, but most of the places that haven't been hit hard have low population density, unlike most of the hardest hit places. I'd rather take my chances in middle of nowhere Oklahoma than riding the subway in New York.

AmishGuy91

Anyone else catch the " we will strongly encourage and in some cases require face masks." I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney do the same. Looks like wearing masks are most likely going to happen

I wonder if nighttime shows could continue but masks would be required there. Wouldn't be nearly as hot at that time.

jmp85

I don't think that there would be a lot of sympathy as all the cast members will be mandated to wear masks. Plus people not following the rules will be confronted by other guests. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions lately., Remember that you wearing a mask is not for your safety it's for others safety. I unfortunately don't think that masks will be mandated, but if they are and somebody does not like it they have every right to vote with their wallets else-wear. Just like people who don't like the mandatory TSA screening or bag checks, which are also for other peoples safety.

I don't know that you'll see people being confronted by many other guests. Speaking to friends here locally in the panhandle, the large majority of the public aren't wearing masks when they leave the house. I really don't expect that to change either.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thought this as relevant as Germany is slowly reopening, akin to our Phase I, yet they are seeing a resurgence:

“The sun”

2 days
German confirmed cases: first graph is cumulative second is per day: View attachment 467298

Call me crazy, but I don't see a resurgence in that data.

Same info, but for German deaths:
View attachment 467299
That is where they are getting their breathless "resurence" headline. From 2 days of increasing data. To me, that looks like a pretty flat line with some statistical noise. Or perhaps just an anomaly of record-keeping as the precious two Mondays are also low.
It's "The Sun" I could start Dan's News Totally Real News Agency and it would have the same amount of credibility.

cmwade77

From that it sounds like they are still a ways away from opening.
That's not how I read it, they way I read it, it is quite clear they are working towards reopening soon(ish). Based on this and all of the information at my disposal, June is looking like the likely reopening time frame for Florida theme parks, it may or may not be by June 1st, but it is highly likely that Disney will at least reopen for guests staying on site by then, as they have been taking reservations for that date and later recently.

I don't think we will be seeing international travel yet though, I would imagine this will be limited to those within the U.S. with a preference towards locals and passholders, as they will have the least to loose if the parks are full, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom