Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We do not have a date at this time but the current indicators suggest they will likely begin a slow opening in June which is when the state of Florida is 'currently' expected to move into Phase 3 of the reopening of the overall state economy. However, if the early stages of the reopening starting Monday do not go well that could push out, which is exactly why there is no date out there yet. The plan for WDW to reopen (and likely Universal as well) is pretty well fleshed out but until they and the local and state governments agree they are ready they will not publish a date. I also do not expect to see the opening date announced much more than 2-3 weeks before the actual opening. They fully understand that they'll have to start bringing cast members back from furlough to begin ramp up to the open and will need to be ready to announce the reopening plan when they start that process.
So do you think they wait until phase 3 to re-open or try to do it in June some time either way? I guess Disney is working directly with the state so they know better when phase 3 is actually expected. I think it would be better for Disney and guests to wait until phase 3.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Pause about what exactly? Do you have a trip scheduled in the next 6-8 weeks that is going to be impacted by the lack of a firmed start of the reopening date? If not why do you care some much and demand a precise opening date right now when it is totally clear to anyone paying attention that it is not available because the state is not at that level of readiness for them to reopen?

It gives me pause that people won't adhere to the rules that Disney will try to enforce. I don't care if it's now or July or September. That's pause. Do you want me to explain further or shall we get political?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I don’t know if it gives them pause, but I’m not going if they require masks or if the strict social distancing is too restrictive. Just my personal opinion. I’m sure others wouldn’t care.

Oh of course others wouldn't care. Which is why I'm advising friends and family to avoid WDW until 2021 at the earliest. I'm banking on people not caring. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

ImperfectPixie

Oh of course others wouldn't care. Which is why I'm advising friends and family to avoid WDW until 2021 at the earliest. I'm banking on people not caring. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.
I really think masks in public places where you're around other people need to be made mandatory if we're going to avoid a worse second wave.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So do you think they wait until phase 3 to re-open or try to do it in June some time either way? I guess Disney is working directly with the state so they know better when phase 3 is actually expected. I think it would be better for Disney and guests to wait until phase 3.

What I'm hearing locally is their current planning suggests they would start a reopening roughly in sync with the state moving to Phase 3 of the statewide reopening. While there is absolutely no hard date on it, the indications we're hearing is the state hopes to move to phase 3 sometime in June. The precise date they move to that will be based on how smoothly Phase 1 and 2 go.

Jrb1979

The funny thing is this was Canada we wouldn't be having this discussion as all places of large gatherings are cancelled for the rest of the year. There is talk that Canada's Wonderland won't open this summer.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I really think masks in public places where you're in public and around other people need to be made mandatory if we're going to avoid a worse second wave.

Without enforcement, what good are mandatory rules? All one needs to do is go back to page one of this thread and follow the timeline and read the comments (I know you've been here). Denial, minimization, rinse and repeat. It's like a social study no one asked for.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What I'm hearing locally is their current planning suggests they would start a reopening roughly in sync with the state moving to Phase 3 of the statewide reopening. While there is absolutely no hard date on it, the indications we're hearing is the state hopes to move to phase 3 sometime in June. The precise date they move to that will be based on how smoothly Phase 1 and 2 go.
That sounds pretty logical. I do agree with you that its less likely we hear a firm date then from Disney any time soon.

ImperfectPixie

Without enforcement, what good are mandatory rules? All one needs to do is go back to page one of this thread and follow the timeline and read the comments (I know you've been here). Denial, minimization, rinse and repeat. It's like a social study no one asked for.
That's the key. It needs to be enforced. My statement isn't limited to just Disney, either. While I realize that there are states who have relatively few cases, that won't last long once things start opening back up. Hell, even in MA, there are counties with relatively few cases and counties with thousands of cases - and MA is TINY.

Lilofan

It's not the same but it was probably hell on earth for smokers dealing with the Disney smoking policy. First it was designated smoking areas, then a total ban inside the theme parks. If someone lit up, fellow guests I saw were quick to confront the smoking guest or report them to the nearest cast member.

ImperfectPixie

It's not the same but it was probably hell on earth for smokers dealing with the Disney smoking policy. First it was designated smoking areas, then a total ban inside the theme parks. If someone lit up, fellow guests I saw were quick to confront the smoking guest or report them to the nearest cast member.
And that sense of social responsibility now needs to be embraced by all when it comes to masks and social distancing.

donsullivan

Premium Member
That sounds pretty logical. I do agree with you that its less likely we hear a firm date then from Disney any time soon.
Keep in mind, that is for the parks and resorts. It would not surprise me at all if they announce a plan that starts to open Disney Springs earlier than that. This would allow all of those third party merchants to resume limited operations in compliance with the statewide reopening plan that was announced by the governor yesterday.

DisneyDebRob

Can you imagine that nightmare? “Excuse me Mr.CM.. that guy isn’t wearing a mask”. In the heat half the park will have them lowered or off for a bit. Disney for sure won’t be ejecting guests so I wonder what could be done besides please put a mask on. Then back down when they leave.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Can you imagine that nightmare? “Excuse me Mr.CM.. that guy isn’t wearing a mask”. In the heat half the park will have them lowered or off for a bit. Disney for sure won’t be ejecting guests so I wonder what could be done besides please put a mask on. Then back down when they leave.

Exactly!

Polynesia

That's the key. It needs to be enforced. My statement isn't limited to just Disney, either. While I realize that there are states who have relatively few cases, that won't last long once things start opening back up. Hell, even in MA, there are counties with relatively few cases and counties with thousands of cases - and MA is TINY.
If a second wave comes I’ve read they’re most worried about states that haven’t had many cases. It was mentioned the middle of the US would be most vulnerable. I’d think cities and states hardest hit now would still see a wave but perhaps not as severe. This virus has been around a good six to eight weeks before states started to shut down which would explain why there aren’t cases tied to Disney World when they closed. I suspect people did become ill in all states weeks before from visiting tourist areas. If I had a choice where to be for a second wave I’d chose an area already hard hit where more people are hopefully already immune. Just my opinion

ImperfectPixie

If a second wave comes I’ve read they’re most worried about states that haven’t had many cases. It was mentioned the middle of the US would be most vulnerable. I’d think cities and states hardest hit now would still see a wave but perhaps not as severe. This virus has been around a good six to eight weeks before states started to shut down which would explain why there aren’t cases tied to Disney World when they closed. I suspect people did become ill in all states weeks before from visiting tourist areas. If I had a choice where to be for a second wave I’d chose an area already hard hit where more people are hopefully already immune. Just my opinion
I agree - and those same principles can be applied at the county level as well. For example, my county has only had 4,871 confirmed cases, but two counties north of us has had 12,538 confirmed cases.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know it's not what these threads are about, but it looks like we're going to have to wait to see what restrictions Disney is going to put In place and then make a decision as to whether or not we want to deal with them or take the reasonable chance that others will not comply. If Disney gives out no information in advance, people are upset. If it gives out partial information based on what it's thinking of doing, people are upset. I believe Disney, in lines with governmental requirements, will make a good-faith effort to come up with ideas and actions designed to give guests the best experience possible while keeping them safe. I don't know what good it does to slap a derogatory label (theater) on those efforts and dismiss them as inadequate or unenforceable before they're even put in place.

We canceled our May vacation and hope to reschedule next May if the restrictions (or lack of them) are something we can live with. We also have a late October vacation scheduled - we're waiting to see how everything will be going then. I don't see the value in demanding that someone make predictions just to argue about what will or will not happen in the future.

Incomudro

A request to don them in queues makes sense.
Cast members urging people to put them on when they enter the queue, security requiring them for admission to the parks.
It'd be very difficult - to impossible to enforce they be worn at all times while walking about, as they will be coming off for various reasons.
Young children in particular would be getting cranky, pulling them off - crying while mom or dad tries to get the child to put it back on again.

icc2515

I don't think that there would be a lot of sympathy as all the cast members will be mandated to wear masks. Plus people not following the rules will be confronted by other guests. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions lately., Remember that you wearing a mask is not for your safety it's for others safety. I unfortunately don't think that masks will be mandated, but if they are and somebody does not like it they have every right to vote with their wallets else-wear. Just like people who don't like the mandatory TSA screening or bag checks, which are also for other peoples safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom