Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanual757

5/5 is the earnings call day.

Yep that was it and they mentioned about announcing a re-opening plan so the news reported. This seems about right after the state announcement, and then Orange County it would give WDW a direction on what it is looking like again we shall see what next week brings. We might have a some sort of hope once Orange County makes it's plans.

I can tell you going to work and leaving I have see a 10 fold increase in traffic I was actually stuck in traffic yesterday at 11:30am going to lunch it really sucked I enjoyed the empty roads.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Orange County leaders said they will layout the county's plan on re-opening on Thursday (today) and I herd a report that Disney would make an announcement on 5/5/20 on the status of opening (I think it was reported on WFTV Local 9)

The Reopening task force included the following from Walt Disney World and Universal so these two helped mold what the parks could look like in a Phase 1 opening laid out by the re-opening task force.

• Josh D'Amaro, President, Walt Disney World Resort
  • John Sprouls, CEO, Universal Orlando Resort, Executive Vice President, Universal Parks & Resorts

WDW Resort falls under both Orange and Osceola County but when it comes to WDW they can follow either County, Universal falls under Orange County.

Just to be clear, Josh and John are on the state task force, not the Orange county one.

csmartin

I can't, for the life of me, see a major corporation not getting its employees back instead of letting them try and navigate the unemployment route. You have loyal employees by the tens of thousands that want to go back to work and a sense of normalcy. If they aren't into Phase 2 by June 1st; I will be shocked. International folks; I don't know what the situation for them will be and one day trippers passing through; I could see that being blocked for a while.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to be clear, Josh and John are on the state task force, not the Orange county one.
The governor made no mention of large theme parks yesterday and we will get some more details today from the local government. I think as Steve said on the main page the ball will be in Disney’s court to announce something. If it’s going to be June 1 I’d say by the 5/5 earnings call makes sense. They may even do a press release earlier that day and then talk about it on the call. If they are going to delay until later in the summer or into fall I doubt we hear anything other than deflection. That’s just my gut feeling. It’s also possible they say nothing on 5/5 and still announce an early June opening a few weeks before it happens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can't, for the life of me, see a major corporation not getting its employees back instead of letting them try and navigate the unemployment route. You have loyal employees by the tens of thousands that want to go back to work and a sense of normalcy. If they aren't into Phase 2 by June 1st; I will be shocked. International folks; I don't know what the situation for them will be and one day trippers passing through; I could see that being blocked for a while.
I think the biggest question is can the theme parks really open in phase 2 or will they wait for phase 3? If they open in phase 2 there are a lot more hoops they may have to jump through to meet the recommendations (not required to do but Disney tends to be pretty conservative). Taking away emotion and just looking at it logically it should probably be phase 3. It doesn‘t look like the state or local governments are going to make that call so it will be up to Disney to decide.

Yodascousin

Confused Brit here over here our news are reporting that trump is not extending the social distancing measures which expire today..so what does that actually mean will states have to have social distancing or not

csmartin

I think the biggest question is can the theme parks really open in phase 2 or will they wait for phase 3? If they open in phase 2 there are a lot more hoops they may have to jump through to meet the recommendations (not required to do but Disney tends to be pretty conservative). Taking away emotion and just looking at it logically it should probably be phase 3. It doesn‘t look like the state or local governments are going to make that call so it will be up to Disney to decide.
I agree with you on this. You kind of have to lowball based on paranoia. If I were fighting for unemployment, not sure of my job and when it restarts, I'd be looking for a new one by now. WDW at the rate they have borrowed, millions lost per day and what is it 40+ thousand furloughed; I'd say it's time.

JoeCamel

Confused Brit here over here our news are reporting that trump is not extending the social distancing measures which expire today..so what does that actually mean will states have to have social distancing or not
He is leaving it up the state governors and local officials to make the call, it will be a patchwork based on local conditions. I guess he forgot that people travel.

csmartin

It's based on the state. California for example opened the beaches and just announced they are closing them. NJ governor is meeting with the president to work on opening. The travel ban on international flights would be the concern if I were overseas.

Yodascousin

It's based on the state. California for example opened the beaches and just announced they are closing them. NJ governor is meeting with the president to work on opening. The travel ban on international flights would be the concern if I were overseas.
Thanks for clarifying :) have a trip I rescheduled for November so hoping international flights will resume before then

JohnD

It’s odd that you want to talk about WDW in this politics thread but I’m game;)

It will be interesting to see what the local guidance is that comes out Friday. The other thing is they don’t really address what changes in phase 2. IMHO WDW has to wait for phase 3 (based on the federal guidelines) but I don’t make that call. It will be up to the weatherman and Chappie. If they give the green light to open in phase 2 then 5/25 is probably right around that time.

The capacity limit is going to be interesting to see too. So 50% of full capacity with everything open at MK is way more people than will show up. That number could be reduced dramatically if a number of attractions are closed. Disney could also limit the capacity further than required. The real tricky parts will be ADRs and transport.

The other thing that Disney could do which was rumored in the other thread is a phased opening starting with just MK and monorail resorts. That could be in phase 2 with a full opening in phase 3. The only thing I know for sure is I have no idea what’s going to happen.

Yeah "Coronavirus and Walt Disney World". What am I thinking talking about WDW? Here's hoping that 5/25 is "Phase 2" for me. Regarding transport, monorails and buses, the majority of transport will be difficult. How do you do that with social distancing? Skyliner would be easier with separate parties per car. Still, do CMs do a quick lysol spray after every disembark? How would that work? I'm not really concerned about ADRs. Plenty of counter service around WDW. You're spending less anyway. ADRs, for me, would be gravy.

Lilofan

Yeah "Coronavirus and Walt Disney World". What am I thinking talking about WDW? Here's hoping that 5/25 is "Phase 2" for me. Regarding transport, monorails and buses, the majority of transport will be difficult. How do you do that with social distancing? Skyliner would be easier with separate parties per car. Still, do CMs do a quick lysol spray after every disembark? How would that work? I'm not really concerned about ADRs. Plenty of counter service around WDW. You're spending less anyway. ADRs, for me, would be gravy.
Central Florida plexi-glass companies will be probably be awarded multi million dollar contracts installing the plexiglass glass in many sections of WDW and throughout Central Florida.

JohnD

Central Florida plexi-glass companies will be probably be awarded multi million dollar contracts installing the plexiglass glass in many sections of WDW and throughout Central Florida.

We're already doing that with the main lobby where I work. (Currently closed to the public so will be ready by the time we re-open for walk-ins.)

csmartin

Talk about a company hitting the lottery if you were involved with installation. You could name your price and still be under what they would pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom