News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think the prices will go up even if it isn't classified as "deluxe". But even in the Deluxe category the price range is so vast. One can stay club level at a few Deluxe resorts with a lower price than a regular room at a few others.
Maybe they will just have that type of wide price range for the moderates now.
Maybe they'll one day build a super-deluxe.

WDW95

The tower is a massive mistake. 50 years ago when designing the Poly they knew a tower didn't fit the theme, so why ruined the perfectly scaled theme now? It's like they build something like Aulani as a new tower to the Poly.

Spectro

Wow. I don't mînd what they are doing but they could have waited til after my stay :p that's it then no csr for us this year I've checked the photos thanks, and that really would spoil my stay there seeing that.

Jess G

@Spectro I am shocked they started so early. I agree with not wanting to stay during crazy construction. I had plans to go there for my no park trip and as of this morning I am currently debating if I want to stay there during this. I intended on spending solid time at the resort. Unfortunately, I am in a dilemma because CBR doesn't seem like its in much better shape and the other mods would add about $350 on my 4 night trip...

Thinking about renting points? Thinking of going to CSR with a positive attitude and not let it bother me. Thinking it will probably bother me lol. But I really do love CSR and parts of me want's to stay there one more time before it's an entire new place. What to do, what to do?

dmatt87

@Spectro I am shocked they started so early. I agree with not wanting to stay during crazy construction. I had plans to go there for my no park trip and as of this morning I am currently debating if I want to stay there during this. I intended on spending solid time at the resort. Unfortunately, I am in a dilemma because CBR doesn't seem like its in much better shape and the other mods would add about $350 on my 4 night trip...

Thinking about renting points? Thinking of going to CSR with a positive attitude and not let it bother me. Thinking it will probably bother me lol. But I really do love CSR and parts of me want's to stay there one more time before it's an entire new place. What to do, what to do?

What I find surprising is that CSR seems full for the period we are going but CBR is still taking reservations... With two sections out of commission, I'm thinking they will be overbooked. Points renting might be a good idea for you!

deeevo

CS was already one of the cheapest moderates and now it looks like it may get cheaper. Looks like they already started to slash prices. Weekend Passholder rate is $186 a night for the 1st weekend in March. Cheaper than the $189 for AOA.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The tower is a massive mistake. 50 years ago when designing the Poly they knew a tower didn't fit the theme, so why ruined the perfectly scaled theme now? It's like they build something like Aulani as a new tower to the Poly.

Maybe they figure they can just projection map it to look like it will fit appropriately (not sure what they'll do during the daylight hours though)...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
That can only be a good thing for those who understand that the construction is in a corner of the resort and should not really affect the stay of other guests.

Very true... in our last stay at CSR, we didn't eat at the resort at all, so other than checking in, getting our mugs, and checking out the gift shop once, we really didn't go anywhere near the main building our entire stay. With multiple bus stops throughout the resort, you really don't need to...

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Monday, Feb. 20. Demolition of the first cabana building to the right of the lobby began some time ago, with a large area fenced off for the proposed construction. While other photos (on another website) were posted, here is one photo for viewing here.

IMG_9206.JPG

Flynnwriter

Take away the fireworks and trees in this redeeming, and you have a really ugly and disturbingly unimaginative cheap hotel tower. This tower and the equally ugly tower at Caribbean Beach erodes the idea of resort and thoughtful urbam planning.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

Um... This is the tower at Coronado springs

This one is, but he's free to refer to the towers that will be popping up elsewhere (several are in the works) and voice his concerns about how ugly they are going to be. I share those concerns. I've always liked the decentralized/distributed feel of most of Disney's resorts- but in reality most of the worlds mega-resorts aren't laid out like WDW's. Even their other properties don't have these massively laid out bungalow/2-4 story structures everywhere. Still though, I've always wondered why the value resorts weren't just 20 story towers. If they weren't going to cheap out with stuff like Pop Century and All Stars to save a buck, why do so now with soon-to-be semi-deluxe properties? While I usually disagree with the chorus of "Disney's going down the tubes" folks, this particular decision to go vertical is bad on several fronts, quite disappointing.

peter11435

This one is, but he's free to refer to the towers that will be popping up elsewhere (several are in the works) and voice his concerns about how ugly they are going to be. I share those concerns. I've always liked the decentralized/distributed feel of most of Disney's resorts- but in reality most of the worlds mega-resorts aren't laid out like WDW's. Even their other properties don't have these massively laid out bungalow/2-4 story structures everywhere. Still though, I've always wondered why the value resorts weren't just 20 story towers. If they weren't going to cheap out with stuff like Pop Century and All Stars to save a buck, why do so now with soon-to-be semi-deluxe properties? While I usually disagree with the chorus of "Disney's going down the tubes" folks, this particular decision to go vertical is bad on several fronts, quite disappointing.
He referred to the tower at Coronado springs twice, thus my comment.

He is free to state his opinions. I also think the tower at Coronado Springs looks ugly based on this concept art. But if he is referring to what will be built at CBR it is premature to refer to that as ugly since there is no publicly released artwork yet.

frankc

It's cheaper to build 2-4 stories than a 20 story building. If they built Pop and All Stars as towers they would not be value resorts. If land is available and cheap then build low otherwise you have to build high. There are other considerations but in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom