News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

*Q*

Are they improving the resort elsewhere? When I toured the place right after opening, I didn't much care for the theme, layout, appointments or much else (seemed like an upgraded Pop Century). In fact- I think I'll refer to Cabana Bay as Pop Century Plus going forward. :)
Unfortunately, I think all they're doing is adding some more quick service dining to the pool with the water slide. It's a shame because I think the resort could really use a full service restaurant, especially now that there will be $400+ rooms. All they'd have to do is a '50s-style diner, I think that'd be a lot of fun.

dmatt87

I called this morning about switching from CBR, and in the process the agent offered CSR, and I talked about the refurbishment going on. They thought it was light, the CM was surprised when I told him that the destruction of the cabanas had begun. Imagine people calling who don't go on boards and don't know the status of things!

rushtest4echo

I called this morning about switching from CBR, and in the process the agent offered CSR, and I talked about the refurbishment going on. They thought it was light, the CM was surprised when I told him that the destruction of the cabanas had begun. Imagine people calling who don't go on boards and don't know the status of things!

They'd be in the same boat as most resorts around the world, as much as that stinks. It's pretty common for heavy construction/renovations/additions/removals to occur with so much as a peep out of the company. It's that way everywhere. I wish Disney were above it though...

rushtest4echo

Unfortunately, I think all they're doing is adding some more quick service dining to the pool with the water slide. It's a shame because I think the resort could really use a full service restaurant, especially now that there will be $400+ rooms. All they'd have to do is a '50s-style diner, I think that'd be a lot of fun.

At least the tower rooms will have an awesome view (half of them anyway) which is more than the "busy street view" outside your outward facing room around the rest of the property. The motel's surroundings have got to be 10X worse than anything I've seen at the worst Disney hotel, and I've seen em all aside from Shanghai's offerings.

LukaLand

Yes, they have "tower" rooms within the initial resort that was built at that price. I've stayed in them, they're nice. These two glass towers are what I am talking about. The first day they are taking guests is April 28th with prices at $400-$500/night.

C2Jr8YYW8AEiR6-.jpg

Even the largest room in those new towers for my dates is $296/a night. They sure are..... interesting looking. Thanks for posting that pic, I hadn't seen one yet!

*Q*

At least the tower rooms will have an awesome view (half of them anyway) which is more than the "busy street view" outside your outward facing room around the rest of the property. The motel's surroundings have got to be 10X worse than anything I've seen at the worst Disney hotel, and I've seen em all aside from Shanghai's offerings.
I'd say they're not as bad as some of the views at the Disneyland Hotel or especially the Paradise Pier Hotel. Even if you're facing Turkey Lake Road, you're seeing either a berm, or the Dr. Phillips neighborhood. It's not ideal that the "Universal bubble" is broken, but it's not exactly like you're facing a slum or something.

Spectro

Thanks for posting the above photo. So if for example you were staying in the ranchos section and heading to the food court would you have to walk right next to this construction area to get there ?

Jahona

Thanks for posting the above photo. So if for example you were staying in the ranchos section and heading to the food court would you have to walk right next to this construction area to get there ?

You would walk by the southern corner of the construction but it would be brief. Alternatively you could walk the path along the side of the casitas instead of taking the bridges by the cabanas.

SteamboatJoe

Photo update as of Saturday, Mar. 18. Demolition of the first cabana building to the right of the lobby is completed (lobby tower in background). Also, the lake between the entrance road and lobby parking lot is mostly drained and being filled in for additional space.

View attachment 194659

Can't help but feel a little sad seeing a dirt mound where the building my wife and I spent our honeymoon in less than two years ago once stood. Glad I took pictures of the building, sign, room number, door, and room before we left.

peter11435

I wonder if they will set up anything temporary, like using the DME stop in front of the conference center...? I can iimagine a lot of unhappy guests who eat breakfast, and then have to walk to stop #1 or #4 to get the bus.
I imagine they will set up a temporary stop. Once the project is complete there will be a much larger and more efficient bus stop roughly where the current one is.

DisneyGigi

Are all the Cabana buildings being demolished? I booked for late August/September. We love this resort and Cabanas were our fave. I hate to see the wonderful view of fireworks from the bench at the bridge taken away. It was one of the things that made us love this resort so much. No matter what building we get put in or how much construction is going on, we will still stay here this year. It seems like it very well be the last time that we do.

peter11435

Are all the Cabana buildings being demolished? I booked for late August/September. We love this resort and Cabanas were our fave. I hate to see the wonderful view of fireworks from the bench at the bridge taken away. It was one of the things that made us love this resort so much. No matter what building we get put in or how much construction is going on, we will still stay here this year. It seems like it very well be the last time that we do.
Only one cabana building is being demolished.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Monday, May 8. Bus stop number 1 (located to the right of the resort main building's lobby) is blocked off with concrete barriers. As reported above, this bus stop is now located at the resort's porte cochere.

IMG_9586.JPG

The back entrance to the bus stop from the resort's lake pathway, is blocked off by this fence.

IMG_9588.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom