Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

SplashGhost

The focus should be on convincing the unvaccinated to get the vaccine and letting them know by not getting vaccinated they are greatly increasing their own personal risk of getting COVID. There is no reason to punish the people who were patient, got vaccinated and followed all of the regulations throughout the pandemic because some people decided not to do their part.

Also, about the tier system possibly coming back after the recall election. Newsom isn't going to want to hurt his re-election chances, so I am doubtful that there will be more state wide mandates and regulations.

October82

The focus should be on convincing the unvaccinated to get the vaccine and letting them know by not getting vaccinated they are greatly increasing their own personal risk of getting COVID. There is no reason to punish the people who were patient, got vaccinated and followed all of the regulations throughout the pandemic because some people decided not to do their part.

This discussion isn't helped by the framing that, things like mask mandates, are "punishments for the responsible". While we can debate how much a burden wearing a mask poses (not much), this conversation is about basic biological realities, not punishment or reward. Covid spreads on water droplets in your breath. We need to stop those droplets from being inhaled by people who lack immunity. With 50% of the population still vulnerable, and a predictable failure of the honor system as a public health tool, mask mandates when indoors with unvaccinated people is a very reasonable public policy response. Masking is how you avoid the much more burdensome measures that come with huge spikes in cases and overloaded ICUs.

Also, about the tier system possibly coming back after the recall election. Newsom isn't going to want to hurt his re-election chances, so I am doubtful that there will be more state wide mandates and regulations.

Just a heads-up, political discussion doesn't belong in this forum, and that has been made very clear by the moderators on several occasions. If you want to talk about Newsom's recall, there are lots of places that aren't here to do that.

el_super

There is no reason to punish the people who were patient, got vaccinated and followed all of the regulations throughout the pandemic because some people decided not to do their part.

It may be tempting to sell out the unvaccinated for your own personal freedom, but if they end up in the hospital, you will pay for that, and if they end up dead, you will pay for that too. High price of freedom.

Depends on how necessary/popular the restrictions are. If people want them to come back, bringing them back could help his re-election.

We achieve that by increasing vaccination rates to the point where those who are infected do not transmit the infection to those around them, and this happens at 70-80% vaccination rates, contingent upon what the true vaccine efficacy rate is and whether immune escape occurs.

And if we don't ever reach those vaccination rates? Do we keep these restrictions indefinitely until we do? That's not realistic.

October82

And if we don't ever reach those vaccination rates? Do we keep these restrictions indefinitely until we do? That's not realistic.

You're right that sustained risks are managed differently than acute ones. This question is, I think, though, unhelpful framing. The question is not when do the restrictions end - most of them already have - but how do we achieve a high rate of population immunity? Vaccines do that very well, and they seem like the best and clearest path forward. What's important to remember is that we're months, not years, into a vaccination campaign that needs to reach ~300 million people in the US and ~6-7 billion globally. This is going to take time. We should give ourselves a chance to determine what the outcome will be before we assume that it will fail. Not doing so means accepting the high costs, in dollars and lives, that comes with that.

The reality is that we probably all need to accept that masking when ill, and in other situations, is going to be part of life going forward. It won't be a "mask mandate", but I expect masking when ill to be on par with washing your hands. It's just what courteous people will do. Masks have been part of many cultures going back to the 1918 influenza outbreak, and it's a good example of how acute emergency policies become part of sustained practice.

It's hard to ask for patience when none of us have it but we're in a situation where patience is very much a virtue.

Last edited:

TP2000

And this is different from any other business how....?

And he knows he got it from Disneyland how....?

It's different from any other business in Orange County because.... well, because... they charged him a lot to get in. I think.

And he knows he got Covid from his day at Disneyland last week because he put it in ALL CAPS and posted it on Twitter.

If it's in ALL CAPS on Twitter it has to be true. And verified. Definitely not misinformation. ALL CAPS don't lie. :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

The lead singer of a band whose biggest hit was "We're Not Going to Take It" complaining about a failure to follow protocols is quite amusing. Anyway, there's no evidence his family actually contracted the virus from Disneyland.

Okay, I had no idea who Dee Snider was. I assumed it was a lady, but that doesn't make sense once I realized "he" said his wife and grandkids went to Disneyland last week. He's a man.

So I had to Google him. My God.... he was one of those horrible 1980's hair band guys. (Or, more likely, the dude is wearing a wig.) Mostly a one hit wonder. Although his one song that Google talks about vaguely rang a bell. Perhaps I heard it while sitting in a mall food court in 1986 and it's still barely imprinted on my brain? Scary to think how that works.

From a rebellious rocker screaming We're Not Gonna Take It! to a whiny Karen tweeting Disneyland (Maybe) Gave Me Covid!, oh how the mighty have fallen. Or just gotten old and crabby...

Last edited:

celluloid

Okay, I had no idea who Dee Snider was. I assumed it was a lady, but that doesn't make sense once I realized "he" said his wife and grandkids went to Disneyland last week. He's a man.

So I had to Google him. My God.... he was one of those horrible 1980's hair band guys. (Or, more likely, the dude is wearing a wig.) Mostly a one hit wonder. Although his one song that Google talks about vaguely rang a bell. Perhaps I heard it while sitting in a mall food court in 1986 and it's still barely imprinted on my brain? Scary to think how that works.

From a rebellious rocker screaming We're Not Gonna Take It! to a whiny Karen tweeting Disneyland (Maybe) Gave Me Covid!, oh how the mighty have fallen. Or just gotten old and crabby...

he is a pretty smart dude overall. Obnoxious, possibly. But more than what most would consider a one hit wonder. He has done some good things.

Also, funny, posting what you did it reminded me of when he was referenced in one of my favorite Disney movies of all time with a very similar joke you opened with.

TP2000

Much like LA County, the vaccine statistics and hard data for Orange County are drawn strongly along race and class lines. The middle and upper class Whites and Asians in Orange County are highly vaccinated, while the working class Latinos are lightly vaccinated. Unlike LA County, Orange County's Black population only makes up 1.6% of the population, less than 2% among the 3.3 Million people in Orange County. But like LA County, the Black population in OC lags Asians and Whites and mirrors Latinos in their hesitancy to get the vaccine.

As of July 22nd in Orange County, home to Disneyland and 3.3 Million people...

Whites = 38.6% Population and 23.6% of Vaccinations
Asians = 21.9% Population and 13.5% of Vaccinations
Latinos = 35.0% Population and 12.0% of Vaccinations
Blacks = 1.6% Population and 0.8% of Vaccinations

The zip code game is also the same in OC as it is in LA County. Wealthy OC zip codes have extremely high vaccination rates, followed closely by middle class OC zip codes. But then there's a big drop off to the working class zip codes in heavily Latino Santa Ana, western Anaheim, and Stanton.

Interestingly, working class Asians in OC have high vaccination rates. My longtime nail lady is Vietnamese, and she and her coworkers all got vaccinated months ago and were happy to tell me about it, quite proudly. The hard data bears out that salon chatter.

Last edited:

fctiger

Well it looks like the good times are over. I went to my local grocery store to buy some food today and it was depressing because it was the first time I had to wear a mask again. Before they had a big sign out saying if you're vaccinated you didn't have to wear it. That sign is now gone. I felt like a big star strolling in mask free for the last few weeks. The security guard would high five me and treated me like a celebrity. It felt good. Now I go in today and that same guy is looking at me like I'm nuts because I don't have my mask on at the door. He's like 'sir, you have to be masked up'. I'm like, 'what happened to the good times? And don't you remember my name?' 'Sir take two steps back from me please, put your mask on and don't make me call extra security.'

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. 😥

Tamandua

(3) lastly, they do not buy in to the idea that being vaccinated protects others, because, in their view, if the vaccines are effective, so long as you have it, you are safe regardless if they are vaccinated or not.
The director of the CDC said today that vaccinated people can still spread covid. They're still recommending people get the vaccine to mitigate any harm covid may cause them personally, but the idea that being vaccinated is protecting others is pretty much dead now.

SoCalDisneyLover

The nationwide #'s are rising. There was someone on CNN last night who said this wave will probably continue for another 12 weeks. I still could see the country averaging 200,000 cases/day and 2,000 deaths/day. In fact, that might be too low a prediction.

Californian Elitist

I was unaware that responsible, mature adults required the government tell them how to live their lives. I always thought responsible, mature adults were responsible and mature enough to make responsible and mature personal decisions without government help.
We’ve been through this, but you thought wrong. The government has been telling you what to do for eons. You don’t really have the freedom you think you have and if you decide to defy government rules, you will face consequences.

Californian Elitist

I don’t do what I do or don’t do because the government has declared it legal or illegal, it just so happens that sometimes the laws of the government aligns with my moral beliefs and will. Threat of punishment will never detract me from doing what is right or just.
And that’s all fine and dandy, but it is what it is. If you decide to walk into a place without a mask, expect to possibly be dismissed.

TP2000

Well it looks like the good times are over. I went to my local grocery store to buy some food today and it was depressing because it was the first time I had to wear a mask again. Before they had a big sign out saying if you're vaccinated you didn't have to wear it. That sign is now gone. I felt like a big star strolling in mask free for the last few weeks. The security guard would high five me and treated me like a celebrity. It felt good. Now I go in today and that same guy is looking at me like I'm nuts because I don't have my mask on at the door. He's like 'sir, you have to be masked up'. I'm like, 'what happened to the good times? And don't you remember my name?' 'Sir take two steps back from me please, put your mask on and don't make me call extra security.'

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. 😥

I can't tell if that's satire, or if you are serious. I was out shopping in San Diego today and no major chain stores in Fashion Valley, or small mom n' pops in La Jolla, required masks. The local Ralph's in La Jolla has no mask requirement today. San Diego County has no mask mandate. So far, it's only Los Angeles County with its mask mandate last week. Are you in LA and haven't been out in a week?

The director of the CDC said today that vaccinated people can still spread covid. They're still recommending people get the vaccine to mitigate any harm covid may cause them personally, but the idea that being vaccinated is protecting others is pretty much dead now.

The cure there is to just get vaccinated. Vaccinated people don't get sick and don't go to the hospital.

Unvaccinated people with pre-existing health problems (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, etc.) do however.

Here's today's vaccination rates for Los Angeles County (Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mountain)
62% Fully Vaccinated
71% Received One Dose of Two
76.8% Asians Vaccinated
66.2% Whites Vaccinated
54.2% Latinos Vaccinated
45.4% Blacks Vaccinated

Here's today's vaccination rates for Orange County (Disneyland Resort, Knott's Berry Farm)
61% Fully Vaccinated
65% Received One Dose of Two
63.7% Whites Vaccinated
61.6% Asians Vaccinated
49% Blacks Vaccinated
34.3% Latinos Vaccinated

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom