CoP heading out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Maybe TDO thought it would lessen the blow?

good time for that "Oh I see what you did there" Simpsons image people use in these forums!

I personally am not ruling out the removal but knowing the Smithsonian setup as I do I am ruling out the relocation to the compound.

Let's keep it relevant.

I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE.jpg

lazyboy97o

Is Walt Disney World really at the point where improvements (attraction sign) are continued on attractions set for closure?

Rich1

Original Poster
I'll just say this. If certain people say they have a source then that's enough. In order to keep my source and more importantly myself out of trouble then I can't name roles or names. I can just say, we have been informed to be prepared for its removal. Not saying super soon but when tland gets the attention its about to get then CoP is being taken out.

menamechris

I'll just say this. If certain people say they have a source then that's enough. In order to keep my source and more importantly myself out of trouble then I can't name roles or names. I can just say, we have been informed to be prepared for its removal. Not saying super soon but when tland gets the attention its about to get then CoP is being taken out.

Well, if it is when Tomorrowland is going to get some attention, I would assume we have a good decade to enjoy CoP.... And let me just say, if CoP goes - and Stitch stays - that is a crime beyond forgiveness, imho....

Did Knee

I'm hoping the OP's source is misinformed or is telling the OP false information. I believe this is the case, but only time will tell for sure. What interested me in this tread is the assertion that COP could not be updated. I understand that there is no room to add additional scenes as time continues to march into the future, but would it ruin the show to change the presentation by removing the sets from the current "carousel" show system? Perhaps they could take the current scenes and mount them into a system like American Adventure has, keeping the old scenes intact or augmenting them, as well as adding additional scenes as necessary? Just thinking out loud...lol. I know this would be costly and unlikely, but does anyone else like this idea?

Mad Stitch

If the CoP was leaving WDW for any museum, the Walt Disney Family Museum would be a better home for it than the Smithsonian.

ArtieJim

I don't see this happening. CoP isn't even in the way of anything. Unless they have a serious plan for putting something new in I don't think they'd take it out, especially in MK. It's not like all those empty studio buildings in Pixar Place.

captainkidd

Why even bother saying anything? You know people are going to ask for a source, or they won't believe you.

devoy1701

I don't see this happening. CoP isn't even in the way of anything. Unless they have a serious plan for putting something new in I don't think they'd take it out, especially in MK. It's not like all those empty studio buildings in Pixar Place.

that's not entirely true. They could put a fairly large attraction in that corner of Tomorrowland if CoP wasn't sitting over there. If you combine the area that CoP and the old Galaxy Theatre occupied before it became part of the parking lot, you're looking at an area roughly the size of Space Mtn within the berm of the park.

Mick G.

First, a question. Isn't the CoP show the same that was originally at the 1964 World's Fair? And then it was moved to Disneyland for several years? And then to WDW in 1975?

Regarding the Smithsonian, it does sound like the only option there for the time being would be storage. [Probably in that massive warehouse from Indiana Jones where the Ark of the Covenant is stored.]

My opinion? Install a simplified version of the CoP at the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco. Not the full footprint, just one stationary theatre, with the set pieces on a turntable. So instead of the audience rotating on a huge turntable, the show would rotate from scene to scene on its own smaller turntable. The capacity would more fit with the needs of a museum, visitors would have plenty to look at while waiting for the next show every 20 minutes or so, and the smaller turntable would be less expensive.

I have no idea how much space this simplified arrangement would take, or how much space the Disney museum has to work with, but it sounds like a good solution. As long as something good takes the place of the CoP at WDW.

Mick

Thessair

Not trying to throw gas on a fire, but someone just saying they have a source is enough? I'm not suggesting you out your identity or your source's, but just saying you know someone who knows something isn't enough.

Personally, despite the condition of the attraction it's always a must visit for us when we go. I know it won't be around forever, but I'd rather it leave later than sooner.

orky8

Not in the D.C. Mall. The DC Mall is essentially filled to the brim with what it can handle with larger collection pieces. Keep in mind also that the Smithsonian does not have the know how or capability to operate an attraction such as this. They are trained in preservation and not operation.

As I've stated before, there is only one building in the Smithsonian lineup with the "space" to house Cop- the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex at Dulles. It has the space, were it not for all of the existing (and permanent) exhibits already in place. No single Smithsonian Museum building on the Mall has that type of space available, especially after two of them (American History and Natural History) have recently undergone renovations to both their exhibits and internal architecture. . . .But of those three I mentioned, the only one that thematically fits is the American History museum.

COP is not currently housed inside a building, so why would the Smithsonian put it inside one of its buildings? It makes more sense that it would go outside or as an annex to a current building. There is room next to the American History building or other buildings on the Mall for something like this. However, I think that would take an act of Congress. I agree Smithsonian is hardly equipped to operate a ride, as preservation and science is their forte.

Read some of my replies in regards to the Smithsonian. Keep in mind it is also free and open to the public.

Not everything in the Smithsonian's are free. Planetarium and IMAX shows cost money.

In any event, if the Smithsonian were to receive this, I would think only pieces of it would be on display, not the attraction as we know it. If Disney wants to get rid of it, its conceivable they would give it to the Smithsonian (and, I'm sure, take the tax write off). The American History could easily display a part of it or pieces of it in its current building.

I have no idea if the OP is credible or not, but giving it to the Smithsonian makes sense to me. I just don't expect the attraction to remain in its current form if the Smithsonian does get it.

Ignohippo

Actually...one could argue that removing a 40+ year-old attraction that is in need of a major refurbishment, and is nearly impossible to update and keep relevant, would be a good example of "fixing the magic."

(Assuming, perhaps unwisely, that it would be replaced by a quality attraction.)

Besides the fact that it must take an immense amount of power to run the turntable for minimal guests multiple times per hour (not mentioning the power for the animatronics and the upkeep.

I'm a major proponent of keeping the classics, but the time has come. In a perfect world, I'd love to see them somehow add Wall-e to the show, flying from room to room taking guest on the journey from the past and into the future and do an overall upgrade to the show in general (I know that will make the purists cringe, but you have to do something to get people wanting to see the show). I just don't think the money spent would be worth it though.

The area where CoP is located is a prime spot. It would be the perfect place for an "anchor" attraction, and just adding something new there would do wonders for TL. Get rid of Stitch and you'd have an amazing Tomorrowland.

Senator3

WOP moving to Smithsonian

I work for the Smithsonian and have not heard a thing. usually if something this big is happeneing we all find out before the public does. udvar-hazy has no room. American History is about to undergo a major overhaull of its west end galleries. That is the ONLY place I can see it going.

Jakester

Quick question, what does OP stand for ??
Little stumped.

Like i said earlier, Stitch leaves before CoP. Id let the Monsters move out before CoP does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom