CoP heading out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quick question, what does OP stand for ??
Little stumped.

Like i said earlier, Stitch leaves before CoP. Id let the Monsters move out before CoP does
original post or poster. It is used to refer to the member starting the thread and/or the post he/she wrote.

powlessfamily4

In my opinion the OP likes to start a good fire and today we have all given him quite the bonfire to roast his weiner on! This "I can't reveal my source stuff" is garbage. If you can't reveal your source then maybe you should not have spread the "secret squirrel" information you received. What are you James Bond? Double O negative?? Because that is what you gave us today... squat!

Sorry... but I get so tired of the "I heard a rumor". Sometimes being on this board is worse then watching The View. Don't get me wrong... I appreciate all of the helpful tips and advice and reading the experiences all of us have is awesome. Most of the news and rumors can be substantiated by news articles or people who work for WDW and you guys are great! But some of these off the wall rumors are just too much and they always seem to be circulated by the same people. :(

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
COP is not currently housed inside a building, so why would the Smithsonian put it inside one of its buildings? It makes more sense that it would go outside or as an annex to a current building. There is room next to the American History building or other buildings on the Mall for something like this.
In any event, if the Smithsonian were to receive this, I would think only pieces of it would be on display, not the attraction as we know it. If Disney wants to get rid of it, its conceivable they would give it to the Smithsonian (and, I'm sure, take the tax write off). The American History could easily display a part of it or pieces of it in its current building.

There's no room outside the American History museum on either the Mall-front side, or the side that faces Constitution Avenue. Ditto for the side adjacent to 12th Street. There is some open ground on the 14th Street side, but certainly not enough for the CoP building.

And considering the ride is Carousel of Progress, what sense does taking parts of the ride make?

But again, these are details the OP decided not to provide....

lazyboy97o

Another question, why would an attraction be removed from the Magic Kingdom before the Fantasyland Expansion opens? That project was undertaken to help increase the park's capacity and closing another attraction would not help the capacity situation.

PhilharMagician

This. Why improve a sign for an attraction thats planned to be removed "within the year" ? :shrug:

Dumber things have been done before when it comes to adding or refurbing and then removing completely. The sign was probably on a maintenance schedule and was removed for refurb just like the news robot 50' away or the marble sphere on the other side or TL. The refurb on the sign is small change and I would not expect them to be concered.

Maybe it is COP's time. It seemed like it was going to go the the giant carousel in the sky around 2004 when it was seasonal and only open a few days a week. It is a great attraction to get out of the heat or cold and offers some needed rest time during those marathon days. The show concept in the rotating theater is such a crowd eater and would be a big loss during those very busy days and it is a shame that a good concept for the existing theater has not been brought forward, or has it?

rangerbob

This is being said that it is leaving within a year but yet they just re-furbished the old sign and have re-installed it in front of the building. I doubt they would spend the money on a sign if they were going to remove it.

Laura

Premium Member
If the CoP was leaving WDW for any museum, the Walt Disney Family Museum would be a better home for it than the Smithsonian.

First, a question. Isn't the CoP show the same that was originally at the 1964 World's Fair? And then it was moved to Disneyland for several years? And then to WDW in 1975?

Regarding the Smithsonian, it does sound like the only option there for the time being would be storage. [Probably in that massive warehouse from Indiana Jones where the Ark of the Covenant is stored.]

My opinion? Install a simplified version of the CoP at the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco. Not the full footprint, just one stationary theatre, with the set pieces on a turntable. So instead of the audience rotating on a huge turntable, the show would rotate from scene to scene on its own smaller turntable. The capacity would more fit with the needs of a museum, visitors would have plenty to look at while waiting for the next show every 20 minutes or so, and the smaller turntable would be less expensive.

I have no idea how much space this simplified arrangement would take, or how much space the Disney museum has to work with, but it sounds like a good solution. As long as something good takes the place of the CoP at WDW.

Mick

I was at the Walt Disney Family Museum a few days ago. I can't even begin to imagine where they would ever add something like that. The museum is basically a chronological walk-through of Walt's life. It begins with his birth and ends with his death. There is one small wall/corner that talks about the NY World's Fair and it's hard for me to imagine space in that corner for even a single animatronic, let alone a full scale theater. Even the largest rooms of the museum would not even come close to fitting 1/8 of COP.

Also the purpose of the Walt Disney Family Museum is not to be a warehouse for old theme park attractions. It's a little more refined than that.

CarlFredricksen

I say give the OP a break. The guy that leaked the original FLE plans was ripped apart, only to find out he was telling the truth. Different circumstances here, but the point being people can tell the truth without giving away their source or have the resume of being a credible source themselves. Rare, but possible.

Plus Lee, one of the most credible people on the boards, said he could possibly see this happen, and wasn't quick to say 'not gonna happen' like so many other rumors.

Maybe this ties into a possible Tomorrowland expansion that was heavily rumored 7 months ago?

Patrick_Ears

I say give the OP a break. The guy that leaked the original FLE plans was ripped apart, only to find out he was telling the truth. Different circumstances here, but the point being people can tell the truth without giving away their source or have the resume of being a credible source themselves. Rare, but possible.

Plus Lee, one of the most credible people on the boards, said he could possibly see this happen, and wasn't quick to say 'not gonna happen' like so many other rumors.

Maybe this ties into a possible Tomorrowland expansion that was heavily rumored 7 months ago?

:D Finally!! :lookaroun

orky8

But again, these are details the OP decided not to provide....

I'm not really trying to defend the OP. But it is conceivable to me that someone might know that CoP is being given to the Smithsonian, without having any idea what the Smithsonian is going to do with it. Maybe the OP's informant is just responsible for dismantling it, or writing up the transaction documents, or countless other positions at Disney that would have no clue or care what Smithsonian does with it once given away. Then again, OP's tip may have come from bus driver. I don't know. I just don't think the fact that he doesn't know what the Smithsonian is going to do with it or know which museum it will go into, or whether it will continue operating at that museum, or just parts of it will be on display as a static display is what kills his credibility.

What kills his credibility, is that he has no track record that I know of. Juan didn't really either though, and look what happened with FLE...

fractal

I'll just say this. If certain people say they have a source then that's enough. In order to keep my source and more importantly myself out of trouble then I can't name roles or names. I can just say, we have been informed to be prepared for its removal. Not saying super soon but when tland gets the attention its about to get then CoP is being taken out.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Besides, this is the "Parks News and Rumors" section.

Rumors by definition are not substantiated.

I've never gone on CoP but plan on seeing it in August.

POTC

I really really hope this is not true and if it is I may have to launch a serious campaign to keep it on Disney property. Stitch stays and COP goes??? :hammer: I don't think so! :cry:

Some things are more important than popularity. I personally think it would be awesome to have this attraction next to One Man's Dream. That could mean moving either one of them. But it has to stay on Disney property.
Maybe they could relocate COP & One Man's Dream to Downtown Disney to have more attractions there? Both attractions don't really follow the themes to the parks theyre in... This would also keep both attractions on Disney property.

But I highly doubt that COP is leaving MK

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
When someone said years ago that the Air and Space was going to display Enterprise, I heard lots of people say that there was no room on the mall. So to do this you would have to build outside Washington, DC and that would never happen.

I am not saying this rumor is true or not, but someone posted it as a rumor and that it is.

How about this – Disney wants to build a resort in Maryland outside Washington, DC. To make this happen they need something big to draw people to this area. They work with the Smithsonian to open a annex to the American History somewhere on the property or nearby. This annex would be focus on entertainment. The Smithsonian likes the plan, but wants Disney to help with a major donation of part of Disney Park history. So what better than an attraction that has been at a World Fair, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World.

No, nothing like that would ever happen because first Disney would have to buy property near Washington, DC. Find a attraction that could be moved there that has been important to the history of the parks but may be a little outdated. Finally the Smithsonian would have to build an annex outside of Washington. None of this would ever happen.

menamechris

What kills his credibility, is that he has no track record that I know of. Juan didn't really either though, and look what happened with FLE...

Track record - and then provided timeline details that he then backtracked on. Either he's providing credible information and decided to embellish them - or is second guessing his source... :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom