CoP heading out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisKneeGuy

While I don't think it'll be gone 'within the year' as the OP stated, I do believe there's some credence to the fact that word is being spread within the Imagineering circles that CoP needs to be addressed, maybe as part of a TLE once FLE completes or is near completion?

I say, create a 5th gate called Yesterland and fill it with all of the closed attractions like Mister Toad's and 20,000 leagues and the like, making CoP the centerpiece! ;)

Rich1

Original Poster
Wow. I love the people that feel the need to personally attack me for reporting something I was personally told by people that are typically informed of these things. I didn't know that posting news/rumors in a location titled news and rumors would garner so much heat. Do I know details..i don't. I'm also not going to make up details in order to make myself seem credible. I know what I've been told by solid people. Do I have an exact timeframe...no. I can just tell u that work that needs to get done on backstage areas to make it more efficient have been pushed back until they know exactly what is going to happen to that area when CoP leaves. I'm not trying for reactions or anything. I found out something and I shared the info I was given...PERIOD.

menamechris

What?!?! Disney deciding the demise of an attraction and struggling to come up with something to put in its place? Actually...THAT I believe.... If it does happen - I see a brand new meet 'n greet location!!! :lookaroun

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Wow. I love the people that feel the need to personally attack me for reporting something I was personally told by people that are typically informed of these things. I didn't know that posting news/rumors in a location titled news and rumors would garner so much heat. Do I know details..i don't. I'm also not going to make up details in order to make myself seem credible. I know what I've been told by solid people. Do I have an exact timeframe...no. I can just tell u that work that needs to get done on backstage areas to make it more efficient have been pushed back until they know exactly what is going to happen to that area when CoP leaves. I'm not trying for reactions or anything. I found out something and I shared the info I was given...PERIOD.

I for one love hearing rumors like this - so thanks and do not worry about the ones saying it is not going to happen. So rumers come true; other do not. I remember all the people beating up someone that said changes where coming to the HH hick hiking ghost and that happened. Time will tell on this one.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
When someone said years ago that the Air and Space was going to display Enterprise, I heard lots of people say that there was no room on the mall. So to do this you would have to build outside Washington, DC and that would never happen.

I am not saying this rumor is true or not, but someone posted it as a rumor and that it is.

How about this – Disney wants to build a resort in Maryland outside Washington, DC. To make this happen they need something big to draw people to this area. They work with the Smithsonian to open a annex to the American History somewhere on the property or nearby. This annex would be focus on entertainment. The Smithsonian likes the plan, but wants Disney to help with a major donation of part of Disney Park history. So what better than an attraction that has been at a World Fair, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World.

No, nothing like that would ever happen because first Disney would have to buy property near Washington, DC. Find a attraction that could be moved there that has been important to the history of the parks but may be a little outdated. Finally the Smithsonian would have to build an annex outside of Washington. None of this would ever happen.

You do realize that the Enterprise is displayed, at an annex outside of DC, right?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Best develop thicker skin then, because you have had no problem insulting those whom have simply disagreed with you.....

Admiral01

Premium Member
While I find it HIGHLY unlikely to be happening, the National History of American History (NMAH) does have room to build a rotating theater on both the east and west side of the building. West between the existing strucutre and 14th Street NW, and east between the building and 12rh Street NW. Around 250 feet on the west side of the building to construct the appropriate theater, and around 200 feet on the east side. The west side, facing 14th, has more than enough room for the CoP, which takes up a building that is less than 250 feet wide at it's widest. It would need to have a custome built building...not be installed into existing space. Smithsonian would want the attraction to function. It would be a great draw for the National Mall. (I've had several Smithsonian employees approach me, knowing my love for EPCOT and express their desire to get a clone of the American Adventure sent up to Washington also...but that is a different story)

One of the benefits to living and working in Washington DC is that I have friends and family who work at the Smithsonian. And, while they could see this happening, they have heard nothing about it being a solid plan. Not even the people up at the storage site in Maryland have heard about CoP being planned to get shipped to their facility. And, as one contributor has already pointed out the NMAH just completed a huge renovation (it looks fantastic, by the way. The new section for the American Flag is emotionally moving). The only place on the National Mall where the CoP would go is NMAH, because the Smithsonian maintains comprehensive theming of each museum (Nemo in Future World, Stitch and Monsters in Tomorrowland...wouldn't happen at the Smithsonian :).

NMAH already has a Dumbo from Disneyland's ride, so getting CoP would make sense...if this all ends up being accurate...which I still don't believe.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
You do realize that the Enterprise is displayed, at an annex outside of DC, right?

Yes I know that it happened, but when it was being planned I worked in Washingtion and everyone said that if it could not be done on the mall it would not happen. No one is going to go to Northern Virgina to see an annex of the Air and Space. Now millions visit the Air and Space Annex every year.

Also I do know that Disney has purchased land in Maryland outside Washington DC to build a resort. This may or may not happen, but the land has been paid for.

I also know that the CoP could be moved, it has been moved twice.

What I am saying is that things can happen even when everyone is saying that they can not.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
What?!?! Disney deciding the demise of an attraction and struggling to come up with something to put in its place? Actually...THAT I believe.... If it does happen - I see a brand new meet 'n greet location!!! :lookaroun

Can they bring out Space Mickey and Goofy? In those ridiculous costumes?

space_mickey_goofy_bassett.jpg

Rich1

Original Poster
Wm49rs...I've seen u have trouble with ppl on these boards before. I never insulted you and if I did it was not my intention at all and I do apologize. However, you do tend to state your arguments as if they are only facts. Is it in the realm of possibility that there may be things going on at the Smithsonian that you're not aware of?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think a lot of the skepticism in this case comes from the fact that this exact rumor has been heard over and over through the years and never happened. Beside the instances on this board pointed out at the start of the thread, a quick search on other boards turns up these:

5/11/2004: "Has anybody heard anything about Carousel of Progress being donated to the Smithsonian? It's probably just a rumor, but on the other hand, its something that I haven't heard before. "

3/26/2007: "Also, unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Carousel of Progress will be entering the Smithsonian in 2009 along with the Enchanted Tiki Room but you didn't hear it from me."

4/12/2007: "a friend of mine who is very much into keeping up on disney happeneing told me a few days ago that they're going to close carousel of progress and put it in the smithsonian"

1/31/2008: "While in line for SSE this past weekend, I overheard some people talking that next year they are dismantling the COP and moving it to the Smithsonian. The guy who said it claimed to be a cast member."

1/21/2009: "Rumor that I heard when I was at the park (from a guy who's cousin is a CM) is that they are moving the ENTIRE building to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. Since it is a landmark building. "

Dan

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't.pretend to know the details of Smithsonian but I would assume that its run by intelligent people who are more capable than both you and I are at figuring out how to make space for CoP.

Wm49rs...I've seen u have trouble with ppl on these boards before. I never insulted you and if I did it was not my intention at all and I do apologize. However, you do tend to state your arguments as if they are only facts. Is it in the realm of possibility that there may be things going on at the Smithsonian that you're not aware of?

Yes, you've never insulted anyone....

And asking for facts, a simple one such as which Smithsonian something considerable as the CoP would be going is not out of the ordinary. Nor is stating that not a single one of the museums on the Mall could hold CoP inside (and only one could establish it outside, with not inconsiderable effort, and that's debatable as well) is indeed a fact.

If that is disagreeable to you, too bad. I simply asked for more information, which you either won't or can't provide. But as for personally insulting you, no.

You need to learn the difference.....

Mr_Incredible

I think a lot of the skepticism in this case comes from the fact that this exact rumor has been heard over and over through the years and never happened. Beside the instances on this board pointed out at the start of the thread, a quick search on other boards turns up these:

5/11/2004: "Has anybody heard anything about Carousel of Progress being donated to the Smithsonian? It's probably just a rumor, but on the other hand, its something that I haven't heard before. "

3/26/2007: "Also, unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Carousel of Progress will be entering the Smithsonian in 2009 along with the Enchanted Tiki Room but you didn't hear it from me."

4/12/2007: "a friend of mine who is very much into keeping up on disney happeneing told me a few days ago that they're going to close carousel of progress and put it in the smithsonian"

1/31/2008: "While in line for SSE this past weekend, I overheard some people talking that next year they are dismantling the COP and moving it to the Smithsonian. The guy who said it claimed to be a cast member."

1/21/2009: "Rumor that I heard when I was at the park (from a guy who's cousin is a CM) is that they are moving the ENTIRE building to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. Since it is a landmark building. "

Dan

And that's a wrap....:wave:

Ciciwoowoo

Rich1,

Don't take any of the insults or bickering to heart... it seems that a lot of the more vocal people here love to hoot and holler and insult the heck out of just about anyone... It just means you are part of the crew!

:ROFLOL:

lebeau

And how do your sources overcome the mild detail that there's no room at any of the Smithsonian museums for CoP?

I heard Ben Stiller, Amy Adams and Robin Williams have been up all night at the Smithsonian clearing out a space.

JustInTime

People need to be nice. To say that COP will never be replaced is humorous. I love the attraction, but it's lacking. No doubt the attraction will not be in the same spot forever. It's just a matter of when. And as previously noted, this is not the first speculation/rumor posted about the removal of COP. All I can say, is where there is smoke there is fire. We will just have to wait and see.

Rich1

Original Poster
We shall see I suppose. And Wm49...are saying the ppl operating the smithsonian aren't more capable than you at running the place? Wow..ok sorry that insulted you. Sounds like I'm not the one with the thin skin.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We shall see I suppose. And Wm49...are saying the ppl operating the smithsonian aren't more capable than you at running the place? Wow..ok sorry that insulted you. Sounds like I'm not the one with the thin skin.

"We shall see?" That's a far cry from it's definitely happening....

And considering you have stated that you have no idea as to what is going on with the Smithsonian end of this alleged move, how do you know what they are (or are not) capable of?

If you want to play the martyr, try a different tract than a rumor going on for years around here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom