CoP heading out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devoy1701

well I tell you what...this woul be a good boost to the "fix the magic" campaign if it's true! :dazzle:

Nothing like getting the fans to unite by a horrible management decision to remove an attraction that everyone considers a timeless classic!

:lookaroun

I should now add that CoP is my favorite attraction and I hope that this isn't true!

Rich1

Original Poster
I expect apologies whenever this happens. I love the ppl that feel the need to make fun of others that post things on here. I'm just telling you what I've been told by very credible people. It was promised to the Smithsonian years ago..its just finally happening.

Rich1

Original Poster
If Walt were alive today, he would want it out. I'd bet a lot on that. And I said no exact timeline.

menamechris

I can't imagine how much money it would take to move that attraction anywhere. Beyond routine maintenance it has always had - there is virtually no cost for that attraction to run. And it brings something of substance to Tommorowland. But more importantly, I just don't think Disney would PAY to get rid of it - which is exactly what this scenario would essentially require.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't.pretend to know the details of Smithsonian but I would assume that its run by intelligent people who are more capable than both you and I are at figuring out how to make space for CoP.

Well, personal insults aside, how about actually taking a look at the museums themselves and determining that before firing up this rumor for the fourth time.

Air & Space Museum- At capacity, with absolutely no room in terms of floor space and building design.

American History- The same, plus it just complete a two-year, $85 million renovation that saw the museum closed for two years. Pretty sure there's nothing new going in there (if any space was available).

Natural History- It too underwent a renovation not too long ago, and likewise has no space (plus, CoP doesn't exactly fit either).

Ditto for the National Portrait Gallery, HirshHorn Museum, Freer and Sackler Galleries, or the National Gallery of Art (which technically isn't a Smithsonian Museum, but it is on the Mall).

Now, that leaves the Udvar-Hazy Annex in Northern Virginia, and it could hold CoP. Of course there's the pesky issue of the hundreds of various airplanes, helicopters, missiles, rockets and oh yes, the Space Shuttle Enterprise taking up precious space.

So, where will these imaginative folk find the room?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
well I tell you what...this woul be a good boost to the "fix the magic" campaign if it's true! :dazzle:

Nothing like getting the fans to unite by a horrible management decision to remove an attraction that everyone considers a timeless classic!

:lookaroun

I should now add that CoP is my favorite attraction and I hope that this isn't true!
Time for a period of self reflection.....The speedway also fits the definition of a timeless classic. Would you be so quick to champion its cause if they announced it's removal?

Mr_Incredible

If Walt were alive today, he would want it out. I'd bet a lot on that. And I said no exact timeline.

There are 6 months left in the year, "within the year" means 6 months.....I'll even grant you "This time next year" even so, you are saying one of THE MOST classic attractions at WDW and MK are going to be gone by June of 2012.......Thats a pretty exact timeline.

We don't even have a exact timeline for FLE rides to open. But hey, you have a credible source.....it MUST be true.

I'll apologize if it happens. Believe me, but I expect the same. :animwink:

Lee

Adventurer
Two thoughts:
-This wouldn't surprise me in the least. (Nor would it bother me...)

-Just because it goes to the Smithsonian, that doesn't mean it would be operated there. Could well be displayed only in part or as a static display. Hard to imagine it being fully installed there.
(Could also just wind up in storage...)

menamechris

I am sure even Walt would respect the history of his company. Not only the history of the Disney company, but a tip of the hat to an amazing World's Fair that he made an amazing contribution to. I am often puzzled by this argument when it comes up about Walt. My parents are getting older and don't go on many rides anymore. This is an attraction that I know they can do and be entertained by. And it brings back many memories for them. Do we really want to take the nostalgia component out of Disney? Really?

cowanfamily

I would like to know who his "credible source" is. Why doesn't he go to this "credible source" and confirm the HAT being moved from DHS, TT having a major overhaul and whether or not Monsters inc. coaster is coming?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Man, haven't you learned anything from going to Disney World?

Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids.jpg

Since they replaced that with EO, I had completely forgotten....:rolleyes:

devoy1701

Time for a period of self reflection.....The speedway also fits the definition of a timeless classic. Would you be so quick to champion its cause if they announced it's removal?

You sir...are quite the cynic on our cause.

And I contest that the Speedway does not fit that same definition.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Now, that leaves the Udvar-Hazy Annex in Northern Virginia, and it could hold CoP. Of course there's the pesky issue of the hundreds of various airplanes, helicopters, missiles, rockets and oh yes, the Space Shuttle Enterprise taking up precious space.

So, where will these imaginative folk find the room?

You are half right half wrong :p. Udvar is already undergoing an immense project of prepping Enterprise for removal and relocation to New York and bringing OV-103 Discovery to the center as soon as the orbiters are officially retired. The amount of work and power needed to pull the move and switch of has completely eliminated the odds of any other major item being moved to a Smithsonian.

The OP can claim to have it on credible sources that it is going to the Smithsonian. I can have it on credible sources from inside of the Smithsonian that it is an absurd rumor than has circled (no pun intended) the museums for years and years now.

Rich1

Original Poster
I will have no problem admitting if I was misinformed. I'm just telling u what I've been told. And I'm stopping the argument about space at the smithsonian. I have no doubt that they would find a way.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I will have no problem admitting if I was misinformed. I'm just telling u what I've been told. And I'm stopping the argument about space at the smithsonian. I have no doubt that they would find a way.

Stopping the argument? You never even made one (or said which Smithsonian museum CoP would be inhabiting).....

Rich1

Original Poster
I'm stopping that argument bc that is information I don't have. I'm not just going to make up some response. It is valid that it may not be an operational CoP and they may just have a scene or something. I don't have or need an answer to what the smithsonian plans are. I do stand by their ability to make things happen though. I can tell u this, if they want it..they can make it happen.

menamechris

Quite frankly, we better hope it doesn't, or I would assume we would have a situation similar to the WoL pavilion.... Have an attraction that is midly popular, but running - or have a shuttered attraction with no plan for replacement?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Have been informed recently that Carousel of Progress is going to be leaving fairly soon. It will be making the trip to the Smithsonian. There will be a replacement I just haven't heard any rumors as of what that may be yet.

I'm stopping that argument bc that is information I don't have. I'm not just going to make up some response. It is valid that it may not be an operational CoP and they may just have a scene or something. I don't have or need an answer to what the smithsonian plans are. I do stand by their ability to make things happen though. I can tell u this, if they want it..they can make it happen.

So, you claim CoP is going to the Smithsonian, but you don't know which one. But, it doesn't matter, because "they can make it happen." Even though, save for one museum annex, there's no room at any of the Smithsonian museums?

Pixie dust, take me away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom