CoP heading out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich1

Original Poster
Yeah, the part about not knowing what may replace it is my biggest concern.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I'm stopping that argument bc that is information I don't have. I'm not just going to make up some response. It is valid that it may not be an operational CoP and they may just have a scene or something. I don't have or need an answer to what the smithsonian plans are. I do stand by their ability to make things happen though. I can tell u this, if they want it..they can make it happen.

The Smithsonian has way more limitations than I feel you realize. The immense Shuttle shuffle going on is tying up their funds and man power. Once again this urban myth has been around for a while now.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

The Smithsonian has way more limitations than I feel you realize. The immense Shuttle shuffle going on is tying up their funds and man power. Once again this urban myth has been around for a while now.

At least three times before around these parts alone.....

Lee

Adventurer
well I tell you what...this woul be a good boost to the "fix the magic" campaign if it's true! :dazzle:

Nothing like getting the fans to unite by a horrible management decision to remove an attraction that everyone considers a timeless classic!

Actually...one could argue that removing a 40+ year-old attraction that is in need of a major refurbishment, and is nearly impossible to update and keep relevant, would be a good example of "fixing the magic."

(Assuming, perhaps unwisely, that it would be replaced by a quality attraction.)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, lets pretend for a moment that this could potentially be true.
Again, forget the monetary, transportation, and logistical implications of it.

Someone with knoweldge of the National Mall area in Washington DC. Would it be possible to a) move the entire building or b) create an idential building to house the attraction, thus removing the need to fit "inside" one of the Smithsonian museums?

This is all obviously hypothetical, since all of the things we're ignoring above (money, logistics of moving an entire building, etc etc etc.) make it a pretty insane idea. Just more for my curiosity.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Someone with knoweldge of the National Mall area in Washington DC. Would it be possible to a) move the entire building or b) create an idential building to house the attraction, thus removing the need to fit "inside" one of the Smithsonian museums?

Not in the D.C. Mall. The DC Mall is essentially filled to the brim with what it can handle with larger collection pieces. Keep in mind also that the Smithsonian does not have the know how or capability to operate an attraction such as this. They are trained in preservation and not operation.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So, lets pretend for a moment that this could potentially be true.
Again, forget the monetary, transportation, and logistical implications of it.

This is all obviously hypothetical, since all of the things we're ignoring above (money, logistics of moving an entire building, etc etc etc.) make it a pretty insane idea. Just more for my curiosity.

As I've stated before, there is only one building in the Smithsonian lineup with the "space" to house Cop- the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex at Dulles. It has the space, were it not for all of the existing (and permanent) exhibits already in place. No single Smithsonian Museum building on the Mall has that type of space available, especially after two of them (American History and Natural History) have recently undergone renovations to both their exhibits and internal architecture. And the Air & Space museum on the Mall is also undergoing smaller renovations (ones that do not require them to close down), but they likewise have restrictions on what can go in there. But of those three I mentioned, the only one that thematically fits is the American History museum.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You sir...are quite the cynic on our cause.

And I contest that the Speedway does not fit that same definition.
Not a cynic at all. A cynic says you can't. I merely ask for proof. In this particular case I am just trying to keep you honest. We all need a warning buzzer and I have no problem being that buzzer.

It is off topic but I will state my case here.....
1. Presence and proliferation. It is an attraction that is in every single MK style Disney park in the world. A Disney park with out an speedway attraction is like one without the tea cups, small world, Dumbo or POTC. It is....dare I say classic Disney.
2 Nostalgia. The attraction was open a DL on day one, hence the man himself had his hand in it. The first time my three daughters ever drove a car was on that speedway. Come to think of it, the first time I ever drove a car was there as well. If that is not nostalgia, fond family memories and all that jazz, I don;t know what is.

Like I have said many times before...Just because you do not like it does not make it a bad attraction.

If you are going to champion Disney all I ask is that you leave the personal tastes aside, look at things from other's perspectives, and be consistent.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Actually...one could argue that removing a 40+ year-old attraction that is in need of a major refurbishment, and is nearly impossible to update and keep relevant, would be a good example of "fixing the magic."

(Assuming, perhaps unwisely, that it would be replaced by a quality attraction.)

Keep relevant in the futuristic aspect maybe; relevance in the historic aspect is another discussion point. It provides great insight to the way of life, household items, attire, etc all used in various periods of time. It preserves a portion of the past in ways that you can only see in a movie and not feel as if you are there with them. Not to mention being tied together with that catchy tune. I wonder if you're the Lee I think you are.

menamechris

True, but - it is what it is. No one is going into the CoP to be inspired by technology any more than people are going into Small World to get an accurate depiction of people around the world. Shall we remove that attraction too? Just sayin...

Since1976

As a huge fan of the CoP (from "The Best Time of Your Life" years in the 80s), it makes me happy to see it still spinning over there in Tomorrowland.

However, I will also admit that I have not had a desire to check out the attraction since 2005. With the present quickly catching up with the imagined future and the time gap between the last two segments growing ever wider, the attraction's lack of relevance becomes more apparent year after year.

Those hanging on to the idea "But Walt created it!" need to remember that Walt himself believed his parks should grow and change. He was always looking to the future. Ironically, nostalgia for his old show about Progress keeps people wanting to hold on to the past.

Unless the Imagineers can come up with a satisfying and evergreen revamp of the show, I think CoP should go away, to be memorialized at the Smithsonian or hey, maybe at "One Man's Dream."

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Not in the D.C. Mall. The DC Mall is essentially filled to the brim with what it can handle with larger collection pieces. Keep in mind also that the Smithsonian does not have the know how or capability to operate an attraction such as this. They are trained in preservation and not operation.

Excellent point here.

Thank you for your input. I have not been to that area since I was a child, so my knowledge of the area is next to none.

Like I said, I know it's not happening. I was just curious from a "Could they theoretically plop the building next to Museum X" perspective, which looks to be a big fat "NO". :lol:

I love the CoP and don't want to see it leave. Updated yes, leave no.

menamechris

Those hanging on to the idea "But Walt created it!" need to remember that Walt himself believed his parks should grow and change. He was always looking to the future. Ironically, nostalgia for his old show about Progress keeps people wanting to hold on to the past.

Unless the Imagineers can come up with a satisfying and evergreen revamp of the show, I think CoP should go away, to be memorialized at the Smithsonian or hey, maybe at "One Man's Dream."

I would be fine with that if Walt was doing the changing.... Point being - the CoP is essentially a time capsule production at this point. It's like watching an old movie. And that's okay. Do people today not like the original Star Wars movie because of its primitive special effects or because we know better about space travel now? No...it holds a certain charm and form of storytelling that people are gravitated to still. That's what CoP is to a lot of people.

devoy1701

I think your parenthasized part is key. Fix the Magic isn't just to focus on maintenance issues or keep the attractions cutting edge or up to date, but also on management decisions that affect the overall experience.

This isn't the place for it, but when it comes to particular attractions and Fix the Magic, opinions will differ from time to time, but I think that loosing CoP to anything would be a great loss to WDW. Move it to Main Street or something (similar to Great Moments over in DL) but I don't want to lose the experience all together.

devoy1701

Not a cynic at all. A cynic says you can't. I merely ask for proof. In this particular case I am just trying to keep you honest. We all need a warning buzzer and I have no problem being that buzzer.

It is off topic but I will state my case here.....
1. Presence and proliferation. It is an attraction that is in every single MK style Disney park in the world. A Disney park with out an speedway attraction is like one without the tea cups, small world, Dumbo or POTC. It is....dare I say classic Disney.
2 Nostalgia. The attraction was open a DL on day one, hence the man himself had his hand in it. The first time my three daughters ever drove a car was on that speedway. Come to think of it, the first time I ever drove a car was there as well. If that is not nostalgia, fond family memories and all that jazz, I don;t know what is.

Like I have said many times before...Just because you do not like it does not make it a bad attraction.

If you are going to champion Disney all I ask is that you leave the personal tastes aside, look at things from other's perspectives, and be consistent.

You and I should have lunch next time we're both in Orlando. I imagine plenty of great conversation that will bore our significant others to death! :wave:

captainkidd

I'm stopping that argument bc that is information I don't have. I'm not just going to make up some response. It is valid that it may not be an operational CoP and they may just have a scene or something. I don't have or need an answer to what the smithsonian plans are. I do stand by their ability to make things happen though. I can tell u this, if they want it..they can make it happen.

Are they magicians?

I say, if the CoP is still here at the end of the year, the OP won't be.

devoy1701

I would be fine with that if Walt was doing the changing.... Point being - the CoP is essentially a time capsule production at this point. It's like watching an old movie. And that's okay. Do people today not like the original Star Wars movie because of its primitive special effects or because we know better about space travel now? No...it holds a certain charm and form of storytelling that people are gravitated to still. That's what CoP is to a lot of people.

Move it to Main Street USA. This way they don't have to worry about keeping the "future" scenes up to date and just focus on keeping the attraction running in prestine condition. Disneyland is running Great Moments on Main Street currently and the attraction works great there!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Move it to Main Street USA. This way they don't have to worry about keeping the "future" scenes up to date and just focus on keeping the attraction running in prestine condition. Disneyland is running Great Moments on Main Street currently and the attraction works great there!

It does seem to fit thematically more with Main St. than Tomorrowland. Now, I dont see space-wise where they could fit it, barring the removal of that parking lot behind MS, which I am sure is required for stocking the shops and eateries on the East side of the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom