Contemporary DVC is coming - demo starts Oct 1st

Brian Noble

But my friend is at home and I had him check the site... and it was there... he was not on the site this morning...
Ah, but if there is another Disney weenie in his neighborhood (and "neighborhood" could be quite large depending on the ISP structure), then the ISP cache will cover that too.

dox

With the moderator's permission....I saw the pic over in the micechat (miceage.com) forums.

The "thing" is huge and will dwarf the tower. It will also be visible from MK without a doubt. Very bad show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Look @ post #56

Thanks; I thought there may be a bigger one. Mouse Planet are also reporting the picture is missing now.

I also dug up this one (Mods, do remove it if need be)

O.M.G.

Attachments

• 0517_r18.jpg
    0517_r18.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 134

TP2000

The artwork is definitely gone from the Gwathmey Siegel site. There is no mention of any WDW project, current or future, on their website anymore.

But the great thing is that we already have all the info here in this thread, pics and renderings and all! Gwathmey Siegel just let the cat out of the bag, and now we all know what Weiss will be announcing at Disney's traditional October press event. :lol:

And in my opinion, this 15 story DVC tower will probably look better in person when it opens in a couple years, but it sure will change the atmosphere around the Contemporary!

Main Street USA

Unless they can spread it out wider, which they really can't with the limited space, there's no way they'll build it shorter. DVC resorts are big, and anything smaller than the already shown tower will be way too small. So, for those of you wishing it will be shorter, keep wishing, but it ain't happening.

Saratoga Springs has a TON of land, and I think the largest building over there is 6 stories. Old Key west is 3 stories at it's biggest, but it has so much land to spread wide. They don't have that option here by the Contemporary, so any new DVC building here is going up, up, up.

Boardwalk Joe's

Unless they can spread it out wider, which they really can't with the limited space, there's no way they'll build it shorter. DVC resorts are big, and anything smaller than the already shown tower will be way too small. So, for those of you wishing it will be shorter, keep wishing, but it ain't happening.

Then I'd rather see nothing happen at all! I could picture something a long the lines of The Beach Club Villas squeezed in there...I'm more about quality then quantity, I hope they weigh that in when they make their final decision on the plans.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I really like the look, and I cant wait to invest. This would be a fantastic place to stay, and it will probably sell out in record timing.

I think it could lose a couple floors...but you know Disney, always trying to get more bang for their buck. or more buck for their bang, however you wanna look at it. :p

Unplugged

What we need to consider about the proposed design we saw, is that the resort is "The Contemporary". The existing tower we know and love as a classic Disney landmark is no longer really contemporary in design. So the addition of the new tower, like it or not (admittedly, I'm on the fence about it too), is far more contemporary. So, it is in keeping with the theme.

Disney has typically pulled off unusual and agrssive designs, so I'm going to wait and see. I'll be down there the week demolition starts (staying at WLV) so I'll take photos if there's anything worth while. Most likeyl though, dempo will be internal first.....fixtures, doors, windows, carpet, prior to any outrageous structural demo. We'll see how it pans out and keep our fingers crossed.

Epcot82Guy

I like the overall concept but agree with the crowd that it is just too much. I actually would love to see it be about 9 stories and make an S-curve from the existing tower instead of the C (although "C" for contemporary is kinda fun). I also wonder what a 15 story tower would do to the original hotel. The other mixed resorts have maintained an element of "higher" level with the original. With this project, the iconic structure will not be the tower. Will people be willing to shell out $400/night to stay in the short tower? Just doesn't seem right to me. Instead, if they had a larger somewhat shorter tower coming off, that would keep the iconic element of the A-frame and still give a huge space for DVC.

Boardwalk Joe's

heres my crazy plan. although I agree with the idea of pushing forward and adding something that revitalizes the word Contemporary, I think something like this can be more conservative and still add a whole new dimension to the resort.

mycrazyplan.jpg

keep the same layout as before, but add two new buildings (three including the hub) and add an extra 3 or 4 floors to each building.

in the plan above, the buildings are sitting on the water, imagineers would have to work on a plan to be able to construct on there (something a long the lines of the palms in dubai)....in between one of the new buildings and an existing building (on the north side) would be a new pool complex...they can have a lot of fun here and create something really cool.

south of the dvc complex and right next to the tower would be a 'dvc hub' an atrium of sorts keeping the open/airy contemporary theme and itll include a nice mini lobby (perhaps seperate check in?) and more rooms.

thats something I think would fly, with added floors (more rooms) it will still have a high capicity without jepordizing the view from the tower.

--edit--
to be clear there would be a maximum of 6 or 7 floors...

hope some of this makes sense, im still burnt from a longs day...:king:

Main Street USA

heres my crazy plan. although I agree with the idea of pushing forward and adding something that revitalizes the word Contemporary, I think something like this can be more conservative and still add a whole new dimension to the resort.

mycrazyplan.jpg

keep the same layout as before, but add two new buildings (three including the hub) and add an extra 3 or 4 floors to each building.

in the plan above, the buildings are sitting on the water, imagineers would have to work on a plan to be able to construct on there (something a long the lines of the palms in dubai)....in between one of the new buildings and an existing building (on the north side) would be a new pool complex...they can have a lot of fun here and create something really cool.

south of the dvc complex and right next to the tower would be a 'dvc hub' an atrium of sorts keeping the open/airy contemporary theme and itll include a nice mini lobby (perhaps seperate check in?) and more rooms.

thats something I think would fly, with added floors (more rooms) it will still have a high capicity without jepordizing the view from the tower.

hope some of this makes sense, im still burnt from a longs day...:king:
That's not a bad idea. I like it, but they'd still have to go with demo on the existing rooms, rather than being able to add a few more stories. Although, still, I don't think that would be enough capacity for a DVC resort.

Boardwalk Joe's

That's not a bad idea. I like it, but they'd still have to go with demo on the existing rooms, rather than being able to add a few more stories. Although, still, I don't think that would be enough capacity for a DVC resort.

Agreed, complete reconstruction would be necessary. A whole new streamlined design for the buildings as well, I just think that layout works out the best for the resort then that massive C thats 15 floors high.

Shaman

Perhaps two smaller towers, one on either end (north/south) would be better than one large structure dwarfing the current tower.

*shrug*

To be honest, I don't see how the height of the design we've seen thus far would really damage the current Contemporary. If anything it will add a more futuristic look to the whole area.....

In fact, if they want to make the current tower look more "contemporary" all they need to do is change the exterior colors and perhaps add some sort of modern accents on the balconies...heck maybe even enclose the balconies with a glass panel.

Just some thoughts....

dox

I totally disagree that the new tower is "contemporary" in that sense that it complements the futuristic design of the Contemporary. Now if you mean the design is "current", yes you're right. Too current. The new structure looks like hundreds of other current condo building cropping up all over south florida on both the east and west coasts. Just my opinion, but if they do go forward with this design it will be dated very quickly and just doesn't fit in with disney. Even the Swan and Dolphin are more disney than this place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom