Contemporary DVC is coming - demo starts Oct 1st

TinkerBelle8878

It looks sort of like an eyesore to be honest. Why don't they just make a seprate DVC hotel by the tennis courts? Or on any of the land that Disney has there in Orlando?

If they're working so hard to make DVC a seperate entity then make it seperate. It just seems like they're piggybacking all this DVC stuff to resorts that shouldn't have it. I felt the same way with the whole Yacht and Beach Club DVC. It makes the resort an eyesore and too crowded.

I can only imagine how many more people this will push to that station at the Contemporary.

What's next? Let's make a mega longhouse at the Polynesian to dwarf everything else and completely flood the area with more people? At least save the original resorts and keep them as something special.

Just my two cents.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Tinkerbelle, technically it is a nw building near the tennis court ;)

I was watching a PBS special about "building big" not too long ago, and something that came up about the height of a building - that is isn't really determined until a floor is constructed. Thus, you can keep adding floor as long as you can support them. Or, in the case of this resort, you can subtract them if you decide you don't really want them.

I think visually, it needs to be, or atleast appear, a few floor shorter than the main tower. This could be achieved by the ground in that area simply being lower than where the main tower is located though, so the 15 floor height might actually work. Note how in the elevation drawing, the two buildings appear nearly identicle in height.

And again, the CMs were told the design was tenative, the website says it's "in design" and PBS said they can chang ethe tower as they work their way up.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I kind of like the idea of the Contemporary not being ear-piercingly quiet, them using the monorail station (heck, they'd have to buy more monorails) and not only having the sounds of Chef Mickeys (bleh!)

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I kind of like the idea of the Contemporary not being ear-piercingly quiet, them using the monorail station (heck, they'd have to buy more monorails) and not only having the sounds of Chef Mickeys (bleh!)

But Merf my man......

This gives us the tie in to the "noise" issue we all talked about over in the concourse refurbishment thread. I like the idea that the concourse could become more active to some degree but having just stayed there, I can't see spending tower room money for a noisy room.

The bad part being I really don't know what they could do about this beside close in the individual floors to create hallways but then there goes all the visual eye candy.

It's just hard to get excited about this whole situation due to the many possible issues. Im willing to wait and give it a shot at the least.

vonpluto

I can't see spending tower room money for a noisy room.
The bad part being I really don't know what they could do about this beside close in the individual floors to create hallways but then there goes all the visual eye candy.

Well, probably heresy to a lot of folks, but they could move Chef Mickey to the first floor.

Frank

Teenchy

I'm a DVC member and I'm sure I will love to stay there in the future, so close to the MK. But maybe I'm an old stick in the mud, but I really wish they were not going to make such a big change to one of the two original resorts.

I will always try to trust Disney's judgment and will hold back full criticism until I see the real thing going up, but it sure seems like its going to take away from such a Disney icon as the Contemporary building.

And did I miss something in my DVC contract (bought 2 years ago) but whats the big deal about where your home resort is??? I understand you get first priority. But maybe its because we usually travel during the off season, but we have gone 4 times since we joined and have yet to stay at SSR (Our home resort). Not that its not nice but we have wanted to try the others out first.

DiPSU224

On a Wishes cruise I took back in May, our boat captain mentioned something about a new tower going up but he said it was going to be 16 stories. I hadn't read about that on this site before, but I figured he was just full of it. My first thought was how it might look out of place. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

scottnj1966

I sure someone at Disney wakes up and says no to that design. Dont get me wrong it looks very nice but it will not look right near the contemp, it will jsut take away from the look.

If they want DVC, then just knock down the rooms attached to the tower and rebuild a two or three story in place that will look good with the tower.

Shaman

So...where are they getting the extra parking space from, because I doubt the current setup will be able to support all the new cars? How close to the current lake shore are they going to build?

I like the design....if only it could be right up on Tomorrowland...and overlook it...like the Grand Californian at the DLR....

Shaman

So...where are they getting the extra parking space from, because I doubt the current setup will be able to support all the new cars? How close to the current lake shore are they going to build?

I like the design....if only it could be right up on Tomorrowland...and overlook it...like the Grand Californian at the DLR....:D

:lookaroun

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...

I like the design....if only it could be right up on Tomorrowland...and overlook it...like the Grand Californian at the DLR....:D

:lookaroun

From the aerial photos there seems to be no reason they couldn't expand parking to the north where the exsisting tennis courts are and then some.

I really hope that the 15 story data is wrong. I just don't get it.

drnilescrane

I for one would like to say I love the plans and design - and it's got me exited. It feels like a natural extension of the Contemporary Resort, continuing in the same Modernist style (though there are hints of the Convention Center in there as well, but that's more or less typical Gwathmey Siegel). I'd go as far as say it works much better against the tower than the style of the Garden Wings.

It's not a repeat of the Convention Center fiasco, with a severely misplaced (yet very nice) building, even though it's been designed by Gwathmey Siegel.

My only fear is it is too tall, and will reduce the impact of the current tower. It can be seen that effort has been put in to match the heights (with the units going up to the same height as the tower, and the box on top echoing the California Grill), but it just doesn't work. This can be fixed by shaving 5 or so stories of the DVC tower, and the planting of large trees in the current parking lot to reduce the impact from the Lagoon and Tomorrowland.

Another thing that I would like to see is the move of either Chef Mickeys or the F&FC to a large 4th floor space (preferably with Bay Windows over the Bay and a double height floor) in the DVC tower, and the Northern Concourse area opened up to more public space and Bar space, hopefully reducing noise impact (though Glassing in some of the lower tower floors may help)

It's definitely put to rest my fears of DVC at the Contemporary, and I'm going to put priority on getting points as soon as they are on the market. I just can't wait to see what the rooms look like!

metman

the picture is now missing from the link

i saw it this morning and now i have gone back someone has removed it

seams disney did not want this to get out quiet yet

me thinks someones head is going to roal

any comments

GothMickey

the picture is now missing from the link

i saw it this morning and now i have gone back someone has removed it

seams disney did not want this to get out quiet yet

me thinks someones head is going to roal

any comments

Yea, I have a comment.. I just went to the site and the picture is still there... I found it under New Projects....

As far as this new building, I will reserve judgement until I see construction... I am not a fan of the Contemporary anyway...

Jen Jen

Yea, I have a comment.. I just went to the site and the picture is still there... I found it under New Projects....

As far as this new building, I will reserve judgement until I see construction... I am not a fan of the Contemporary anyway...

Where? I've been unable to find it. Perhaps if you told us which project is above and below it, it would make it easier for us to find. Thanks!

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom