Considering Teppan Edo - What Do You Think?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I love teppanyaki style dining but I have never been all that impressed with Teppan Edo. No fried rice and no shrimp sauce really kill it for me. Not to mention that there are several off property options (Kobe just outside of DTD is my favorite) that are much better and less expensive.

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I love teppanyaki style dining but I have never been all that impressed with Teppan Edo. No fried rice and no shrimp sauce really kill it for me. Not to mention that there are several off property options (Kobe just outside of DTD is my favorite) that are much better and less expensive.

No fried rice - what's the deal? :veryconfu

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No fried rice - what's the deal? :veryconfu
Not sure. I have heard 2 reasons for the absence of it.

1. Fired rice is not a part of traditional Japanese cuisine.
2. The contract with 9 Dragons in China prohibits fried rice being served anywhere else in Epcot.

I have no clue if either are the real reason.

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Not sure. I have heard 2 reasons for the absence of it.

1. Fired rice is not a part of traditional Japanese cuisine.
2. The contract with 9 Dragons in China prohibits fried rice being served anywhere else in Epcot.

I have no clue if either are the real reason.

Well, that stinks! :( Thanks for the info! :wave:

gspin2k1

I was gonna say yeah..fried rice isn't really a Japanese thing. I'm kind of glad when I hear a Teppanyaki place doesn't do fried rice. That and miso soup should be served last (or at least given with a cover so it stays warm throughout your meal).

~G

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was gonna say yeah..fried rice isn't really a Japanese thing. I'm kind of glad when I hear a Teppanyaki place doesn't do fried rice. That and miso soup should be served last (or at least given with a cover so it stays warm throughout your meal).

~G
There are quite a few differences in real traditional Japanese dining and the Americanized versions we are used to seeing. It is nice that Teppan Edo does at least make an attempt at accuracy but when you are throwing down a boat load of cash on dinner and are expecting one thing and receive another the average person really does not care how they do it over there you want what you are used to. Personally I would love to see them convert to the typical Americanized teppanyaki and have a separate Tatmi room where they could go full bore authentic Japanese dining.

KeithVH

We've also never had bad service or bad food. Sat with some great people too. But I actually miss it from before the refurb. I don't feel the menu or the pricing is as good as it used to be. As pointed out above, it's kinda generic. There's nothing really special about it that makes it stand out for that type of eatery as other park restaurants do compared to offsite equivalents.

gspin2k1

My theory on Disney's ethnic food is it's basically always going to be Americanized. i.e. The Chinese food will be Panda Express on a nicer plate. Now if you're used to the "Real" stuff and expect such. My advice is don't bother. If you're satisfied with the Americanized versions of those foods, and/or don't know any better and want the "fun" disney atmosphere...go for it.

For example: I'm pretty used to eating "Real" Asian food (my family and where I grew up and travelled as a kid). So I may avoid eating at those areas in Epcot during my upcoming visit, or at least keep my expectations low and just enjoy the entertainment and fun shopping. However when it comes to European and HIspanic food. I really don't know any better, so I probably will enjoy plenty of what Disney has to offer. Even though people who know what real European or Hispanic food is would probably be disgusted by what's available by Disney.

I also see eating around the world at Epcot awesome for people who just may not have a lot of different ethnic cuisines available where they live.

~G

ktkerber

We ate there in Feb. We will not be eating there on our next trip. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. But the absence of the fried rice is a deal breaker for us. We really like our fried rice. The noodles were good. They also gave us steamed rice. The chef we had was good and pretty entertaining. But no fried rice...:cry:

gspin2k1

We ate there in Feb. We will not be eating there on our next trip. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. But the absence of the fried rice is a deal breaker for us. We really like our fried rice. The noodles were good. They also gave us steamed rice. The chef we had was good and pretty entertaining. But no fried rice...:cry:

Chinese and Thai fried rice is the best.

~G

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom