connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

Goofyernmost

A few years ago the drivers did interact with the guest by PA system, then it seems they went to recorded messages instead. I liked when the driver would talk to the guests on the way back after a long day in the Parks. It was personel. I remember once the driver explained the Tower of Terror story, I thought that was cool. Does anyone else remember when they interacted more over the PA.
I hate always feeling like I should answer one of your statements, but, as a past bus driver I would like to interject this. The idea that people seem to have that nothing bad will ever happen at WDW is fueling this type of thinking. Yes, the interaction with the bus drivers was fun, but, it was also dangerous. There are many drivers that are really good at driving, but, lack interpersonal skills. Driving a 40K pound vehicle around in heavy traffic is difficult enough without having to provide a stage show at the same time. The recorded stuff was added because it is impossible to expect a driver to remember all that they want to tell you and still maintain a much needed focus on the job at hand, which is getting you to your destination safely.

Yes, they used to do it, but, the volume of traffic was much less then and, like I said not everyone is stage ready. Skilled at driving, we can at least hope so, but, they shouldn't be required to be showmen as well. Some still do and to my knowledge Disney doesn't have a problem with drivers interacting as long as they are able to do their job safely, without performance anxiety. I trained many bus drivers in my time and the most difficult task that I had to enforce was using the mike and making necessary announcements. There is a real fear of public speaking even in that relaxed atmosphere.

I know the next thing you're going to say..."Well, only hire drivers that can do the performance thing...". Wonderful idea but bus driving requires a Commercial Drivers License which means that you have to know how to drive a bus and be licensed to do so. There are not that many people out there with multiple skills, both of which have to be working in unison. CDL drivers do not grow on trees.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I hate always feeling like I should answer one of your statements, but, as a past bus driver I would like to interject this. The idea that people seem to have that nothing bad will ever happen at WDW is fueling this type of thinking. Yes, the interaction with the bus drivers was fun, but, it was also dangerous. There are many drivers that are really good at driving, but, lack interpersonal skills. Driving a 40K pound vehicle around in heavy traffic is difficult enough without having to provide a stage show at the same time. The recorded stuff was added because it is impossible to expect a driver to remember all that they want to tell you and still maintain a much needed focus on the job at hand, which is getting you to your destination safely.

Yes, they used to do it, but, the volume of traffic was much less then and, like I said not everyone is stage ready. Skilled at driving, we can at least hope so, but, they shouldn't be required to be showmen as well. Some still do and to my knowledge Disney doesn't have a problem with drivers interacting as long as they are able to do their job safely, without performance anxiety. I trained many bus drivers in my time and the most difficult task that I had to enforce was using the mike and making necessary announcements. There is a real fear of public speaking even in that relaxed atmosphere.

I know the next thing you're going to say..."Well, only hire drivers that can do the performance thing...". Wonderful idea but bus driving requires a Commercial Drivers License which means that you have to know how to drive a bus and be licensed to do so. There are not that many people out there with multiple skills, both of which have to be working in unison. CDL drivers do not grow on trees.

I also hate responding to you but maybe you can answer one of the posts about the misinformation you bus drivers were giving out. Is that the real reason?

poly said........
What were they doing along the lines of misinformation, anything specific? I always had good interaction with the drivers.
French quarter response.....
Bus drivers are notorious for spreading misinformation. It has been a running joke for years.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I also hate responding to you but maybe you can answer one of the posts about the misinformation you bus drivers were giving out. Is that the real reason?
I didn't work for Disney so I don't know, but, I seriously doubt it because if that were the case most of the CM's would be eliminated as well. They all just repeat what they heard someone else say and if we are foolish enough to take as gospel what a bus driver says is happening then it's hardly their fault. A bus driver will be told what route he is running that day and if there are any anticipated problems, be assigned a bus and be on his or her way. They have no public relations propaganda given to them. Some just have a more colorful imagination then others, but, it isn't all that common really.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I didn't work for Disney so I don't know, but, I seriously doubt it because if that were the case most of the CM's would be eliminated as well. They all just repeat what they heard someone else say and if we are foolish enough to take as gospel what a bus driver says is happening then it's hardly their fault. A bus driver will be told what route he is running that day and if there are any anticipated problems, be assigned a bus and be on his or her way. They have no public relations propaganda given to them. Some just have a more colorful imagination then others, but, it isn't all that common really.

You didn't work for Disney well it came off like you did? so could French quarter be correct? French quarter should be careful about spreading misinformation about the drivers.

HRHPrincessAriel

You didn't work for Disney well it came off like you did? so could French quarter be correct? French quarter should be careful about spreading misinformation about the drivers.
there are hundreds of post on this board about bus drivers and other cast members spreading missinformation.

No different than a phone answering customer service rep at Starbucks claiming to know what's going on in the Disney parks

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I just don't think it's fair to make statements about hard working bus drivers if you have no specifics. It's not an easy job.

HRHPrincessAriel

No one said it wasn't...just do a search for bus driver on here. Lots of threads pop up with stories people have been told.

You really only listen to what you want to hear. You totally skipped over @Goofyernmost's explanation of WHY bus drivers drivers don't spend too much time interacting with guests.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
No one said it wasn't...just do a search for bus driver on here. Lots of threads pop up with stories people have been told.

You really only listen to what you want to hear. You totally skipped over @Goofyernmost's explanation of WHY bus drivers drivers don't spend too much time interacting with guests.
French quarter said it was because they gave out misinformation and I wanted to find out the truth. What's the problem with that, I like the drivers, I didn't like misinformation being spread about them. Goofy is not a Disney driver so he really doesn't know the reason. It just his opinion not based in fact since he is not a Disney driver. Goofy may be correct.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster

If you read my original post here is what I asked .. I think you read what you want to read and go into attack mode".............I was answering someone's post.
A few years ago the drivers did interact with the guest by PA system, then it seems they went to recorded messages instead. I liked when the driver would talk to the guests on the way back after a long day in the Parks. It was personel. I remember once the driver explained the Tower of Terror story, I thought that was cool. Does anyone else remember when they interacted more over the PA.

NelsonRD

An NYC taxi cab driver just informed me that Disney is currently in the design stages of connecting all parks via monorail. This will occur in stages, the first connecting the Disney World Monorail and Disneyland Monorail in California. Then once completed, Tokyo Sea, Shanghai, and Paris will all soon follow until the loop is completed. Has anybody else heard any truth to this?

alissafalco

An NYC taxi cab driver just informed me that Disney is currently in the design stages of connecting all parks via monorail. This will occur in stages, the first connecting the Disney World Monorail and Disneyland Monorail in California. Then once completed, Tokyo Sea, Shanghai, and Paris will all soon follow until the loop is completed. Has anybody else heard any truth to this?
:hilarious:

Goofyernmost

If you read my original post here is what I asked .. I think you read what you want to read and go into attack mode".............I was answering someone's post.
I believe I did answer your question. And I answered it the way I did because I have years of experience in public transportation. Whether we like it or not the Disney bus system is public transportation. The drivers have no connection to the areas that make the decision about what happens in theme parks. They hear others talking, but, not people with authority, just others that have more then likely convoluted the story to where it isn't even close to how it started. It is just plain silliness if anyone thinks that bus drivers are used by Disney to convey correct or incorrect messages concerning future plans. What would be the purpose. They might suggest that they promote something that is currently happening in the parks, but, even that would be a risky thing to do... thus the recorded messages. There is only one real foolproof way to know what Disney is planning and that is to wait until it is done and then comment on it, because there is no tighter lipped organization on the planet then TDC.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I believe I did answer your question. And I answered it the way I did because I have years of experience in public transportation. Whether we like it or not the Disney bus system is public transportation. The drivers have no connection to the areas that make the decision about what happens in theme parks. They hear others talking, but, not people with authority, just others that have more then likely convoluted the story to where it isn't even close to how it started. It is just plain silliness if anyone thinks that bus drivers are used by Disney to convey correct or incorrect messages concerning future plans. What would be the purpose. They might suggest that they promote something that is currently happening in the parks, but, even that would be a risky thing to do... thus the recorded messages. There is only one real foolproof way to know what Disney is planning and that is to wait until it is done and then comment on it, because there is no tighter lipped organization on the planet then TDC.

Thank you but I simply asked if anyone else remembered when the drivers interacted with the guest over the PA! Then French quarter responded they no longer do because they spewed misinformation. All I wanted to know did anyone remember those days.

Goofyernmost

Thank you but I simply asked if anyone else remembered when the drivers interacted with the guest over the PA! Then French quarter responded they no longer do because they spewed misinformation. All I wanted to know did anyone remember those days.
Good grief, of course, some of us remember that, but, what is the good of remembering what once was if you don't know why it isn't anymore. Misinformation is not the reason. That continues with or without the recorded messages. The drivers don't get their mouths taped shut before they set out. I think you just like to be vague and argue. Nostalgia is good, but, changes happen and it isn't always a negative.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just don't think it's fair to make statements about hard working bus drivers if you have no specifics. It's not an easy job.
It's a social based joke. It has been for years if not decades.

Bus drivers are renowned for not knowing real project information but they would often mention it anyway. As the gag goes. And people would believe it.

"They're building a monorail to Animal Kingdom"
"They're building a fifth gate"
"I hear they're building Disneyland Sydney"

Don't take it so seriously :)

G00fyDad

No one can be this silly and obtuse about these subjects. He is doing this on purpose. It is like we are saying "Bus drivers are not high enough on the totem pole to have been given the correct information so the information they give you is usually rumors or outright false." and Poly Lover replies with "Well that doesn't make sense. Geese don't wear hats because aliens are living in my bathtub."

Cosmic Commando

I'm so glad they didn't expand the monorail everywhere for the reasons listed throughout the thread-- flexibility, mostly. Imagine the driverless, PRT-like vehicles that will be available in 20 years or so. I think the WDW of the future would be a great place for driverless vehicles sized maybe 20 or 25 feet long.

G00fyDad

I'm so glad they didn't expand the monorail everywhere for the reasons listed throughout the thread-- flexibility, mostly. Imagine the driverless, PRT-like vehicles that will be available in 20 years or so. I think the WDW of the future would be a great place for driverless vehicles sized maybe 20 or 25 feet long.

Driverless systems like the one you mention scare me. I am okay with a monorail as a driverless system because that is a manageable fleet that a team of people watch over from a control area. Imagine a highway system like that in the movie (and now TV show) Minority Report. Cars/trucks that drive themselves freak me out. A) There is no one watching the system that large. B) if your vehicle fails will the rest of the auto-drive vehicles see yours in time? C) Computers glitch. A lot. Having that computer in charge of my life in a vehicle not on any tracks doesn't sit well with me.

I like the driverless idea in WDW if a control team is monitoring it, but I'd rather have large loading stations for a TTA style people mover. Large vehicles that open a door as it nears the "station" located at each park/DS/resort and closes again as it leaves the station. It wouldn't have to stop (the TTA doesn't), the people could load while it is in motion, and the doors automatically close when it leaves the station. Of course that idea would likely cost as much if not more than a new monorail system to everywhere.

danyoung56

There was also the idea that everyone would park in one big parking lot, and then take a monorail to their destination. I think they discovered that the MK parking lot was full to overflowing just supplying parking for the 2 parks, and there was no way that it made any sense to extend the monorails to a third (or eventually a fourth) park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom