connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

copcarguyp71

Not going to happen in any way, shape or form but I just saw this video and thought this type of construction is pretty amazing for monorail beam construction. Not sure how curved sections work but being as it is Japan I am sure they have that worked out as well....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not going to happen in any way, shape or form but I just saw this video and thought this type of construction is pretty amazing for monorail beam construction. Not sure how curved sections work but being as it is Japan I am sure they have that worked out as well....

That machine is for erecting extremely large sections of prefabricated highway in areas that are inaccessible to large boom cranes. Those sections are most likely for a 6 lane +/- elevated highway. Monorail beams are much, much smaller making something like that overkill by a huge margin. It would be like using a 400' tower crane to put a load a of shingles on a house.

copcarguyp71

That machine is for erecting extremely large sections of prefabricated highway in areas that are inaccessible to large boom cranes. Those sections are most likely for a 6 lane +/- elevated highway. Monorail beams are much, much smaller making something like that overkill by a huge margin. It would be like using a 400' tower crane to put a load a of shingles on a house.

Yes....well, obviously not that machine. Not being quite that literal with my post. My point was that there may be technology out there to streamline construction...even though it will never happen. It was simply a "hey this is cool" post that was related to the topic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes....well, obviously not that machine. Not being quite that literal with my post. My point was that there may be technology out there to streamline construction...even though it will never happen. It was simply a "hey this is cool" post that was related to the topic.
It is extremely cool, but it is a machine that is solving a problem you just don't have with monorail beams.

Monorail beams are small enough that they can be lifted by a realistically small and very common mobile crane. Once the beam is lifted the crane can simply drive itself to the next one.

That is not the case with what they are doing in China. Those prefabricated sections of highways are ginormous. The width of that section is nearly the length of a monorail beam. The cranes used to lift loads like that are largely immobile and take a considerable amount of time to break down and move.

What they did was use a machine that is typically used for bridge construction that supports itself using only the piers that the bridge will use. It is a construction method for elevated highways that is becoming quite common all over the world.

Regarding the curves...It is my understanding that those still need to be done is smaller sections using a traditional crane.

image5_c_550_385_95.jpg

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
It is extremely cool, but it is a machine that is solving a problem you just don't have with monorail beams.

Monorail beams are small enough that they can be lifted by a realistically small and very common mobile crane. Once the beam is lifted the crane can simply drive itself to the next one.

That is not the case with what they are doing in China. Those prefabricated sections of highways are ginormous. The width of that section is nearly the length of a monorail beam. The cranes used to lift loads like that are largely immobile and take a considerable amount of time to break down and move.

What they did was use a machine that is typically used for bridge construction that supports itself using only the piers that the bridge will use. It is a construction method for elevated highways that is becoming quite common all over the world.

Regarding the curves...It is my understanding that those still need to be done is smaller sections using a traditional crane.

image5_c_550_385_95.jpg

sometimes other cultures see and solve problems in ways that we just don't accept as possible until we see it done. Sometimes our first thought is CAN'T when we encounter a problem. There is alot of negativity out there until someone thinks outside the box and opens our eyes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
sometimes other cultures see and solve problems in ways that we just don't accept as possible until we see it done. Sometimes our first thought is CAN'T we we encounter a problem. There is alot of negativity out there until someone thinks outside the box and opens our eyes.
We already use this method in the US and have for a long time. Just because you just heard about it does not make it "new and innovative". The only thing unique about the one in China is its size.

All that aside, they do not need these massive machines to erect teeny weenie monorail beams. However, if you want to spend a few hundred million inventing a machine to solve a problem that does not exist, knock yourself out.

Brad Bishop

We already use this method in the US and have for a long time. Just because you just heard about it does not make it "new and innovative". The only thing unique about the one in China is its size.

The weird thing is that constructing some kind of bridge/overpass using that method was cool in the 1980s and 1990s but, from what I can tell, it seems to have gone out of favor. New bridges/overpasses, which I've seen go up over the last 20 years, seem to be constructed with a series of I-beams, now, which is how they used to do it and it seems oddly backwards to me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The weird thing is that constructing some kind of bridge/overpass using that method was cool in the 1980s and 1990s but, from what I can tell, it seems to have gone out of favor. New bridges/overpasses, which I've seen go up over the last 20 years, seem to be constructed with a series of I-beams, now, which is how they used to do it and it seems oddly backwards to me.
It depends on the application. The I-beam method you mentioned is often the most cost effective especially with shorter spans and in areas with easy access. Overpasses are a prime example.

When you increase the height, start building over water or rugged terrain and/or have really long, especially straight spans, prefabrication becomes a lot more financially attractive.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I bring it on myself by answering someones post? You and your boys are like a wolf pack you do nothing but attack people who post and want to discuss Disney. Everything you post is either and attack, belittling, snarky or snoby
Just ignor it like i am now going to ignore you, if you don't like it pal then ignore my post but I will post as I see fit and I will do it like a human being not like the cocky nitwits you are. Have a nice day but get off my back.
Someone who has been an engineer in the construction business for 20 years pointing out where you are wrong concerning construction is not attacking you. It is called correcting you.

If you can't learn the difference you might want to stay out of open discussion forums.

copcarguyp71

haha...I love this board. Someone on either end of the spectrum postulates something of their own opinion and instead of just saying "huh, well I guess that is another way to look at it" we get...

animal-meme-161.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
sure you were an engineer but you certainly can't read because I never challegned any engineering, I made a Philosophical comment about how folks approached problem solving in general. You just want to fight with someone. You just wont allow others to have an opinion. Thats why this is a discussion board.
This is not the world according to YOU!!!!!
Not were an engineer...am an engineer.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Trying to use a piece of equipment designed to set sections of elevated highway that are hundreds of feet long and 70' wide to set monorail beam being a waste is not an opinion, it is a fact.

I like Snickers more than Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is an opinion.

Brad Bishop

haha...I love this board. Someone on either end of the spectrum postulates something of their own opinion and instead of just saying "huh, well I guess that is another way to look at it" we get...

One thing I like about this board is how it's a bit more brash than another Disney forum I used to visit. There everything was "magical". I think this place can lean a bit more to the other side sometimes being a bit harder on Disney than they need to be, not that there's not a seed of truth in their argument, but it's far better than, "Well it's just... just magical!"

raven

There have indeed been concept plans made for a monorail expansion to the other parks, DTD and even a possible connection, on property, to a station for the speed rail headed to Tampa. Remember though these were just concepts. Will they ever build it? Nah.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
No one said this but the monorails doesn't really carry enough people to be real transportation. It would be a big project to turn the WDW monorails into a real transportation service, it could be done but I'm not sure how long it would take to pay it's self off. Might never pay it's self off depending on operating costs.

Some fun facts:
Monorail Miles Traveled

Each monorail travels more than 60,000 miles a year. Before they were retired, the old Mark IV monorails traveled more than 10 million miles. The reliability rate is reported to be an astounding 99.9%.

Disney’s monorail system is the most heavily used system of its kind in the world. It carries about 150,000 passengers every day. Each year the monorail system carries about 50 million people. Since its opening, the Walt Disney world monorail system has transported more than one billion people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom