connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Thanks for the nuts & bolts analysis. My family right now ranges from 50 years old down to 9, and I could see my wife and/or daughter not wanting to go 5+ miles each way. I still think it would be a great way to relieve some population from the parks and provide a nice alternative to bussing all over. I could also see scenic overlooks, refreshment stops that are only available on the trails, maybe even places along the way where you could see the AK savannah from a distance, the pavilions of world Showcase, etc . . . I know next to nothing about the total layout of WDW, especially the behind the scenes areas, but a network of trails for biking and walking could be a great addition to a vacation, breaking up the hubbub from the parks, promoting fitness, and even being a green initiative.

You're right, though, not everyone is a biker, and usage may indeed be slight. Burleys and tag-alongs could help with the little ones, but indeed a bus ride is so much easier. I've known for 2 years that I can rent a bike at my home resort, the Boardwalk, but haven't yet gotten around to it, due in large part to the fact that I don't even know where they'll let me go with it. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Basically I think all Parks should have multiple ways to get there. They should all be connected like one big interconnected Park system. Chose whatever they should be.
I would like to see a Monorail extension as one of those solutions.

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I don't necessarily disagree with your comments about monorails but...Are you serious? You have rarely seen motor vehicle accidents tie up traffic? Do you travel a lot of highways? I do a lot of driving and I get stuck in traffic jams all the time due to accidents and there's nowhere to go.

If I could have the time added back onto my life that I have spent stuck on highways behind Tractor Trailer, Bus, Car accidents I would be young again.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Thanks for the nuts & bolts analysis. My family right now ranges from 50 years old down to 9, and I could see my wife and/or daughter not wanting to go 5+ miles each way. I still think it would be a great way to relieve some population from the parks and provide a nice alternative to bussing all over. I could also see scenic overlooks, refreshment stops that are only available on the trails, maybe even places along the way where you could see the AK savannah from a distance, the pavilions of world Showcase, etc . . . I know next to nothing about the total layout of WDW, especially the behind the scenes areas, but a network of trails for biking and walking could be a great addition to a vacation, breaking up the hubbub from the parks, promoting fitness, and even being a green initiative.

You're right, though, not everyone is a biker, and usage may indeed be slight. Burleys and tag-alongs could help with the little ones, but indeed a bus ride is so much easier. I've known for 2 years that I can rent a bike at my home resort, the Boardwalk, but haven't yet gotten around to it, due in large part to the fact that I don't even know where they'll let me go with it. Oh well. Maybe next time.

I really don't think that you could move a susbtantial number of people with bikes to reduce volumes in other parks. I mean in the summer 95 degree heat biking that distance would be tough. It could be one option but there would need to be others. Even if you had a special dedicated direct TRAM path to the AK from the Transportation center would help.

slappy magoo

What would make more sense to me - but also will probably never be done - is make the bus fleet nicer.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-shows-retail-ready-transparent-mirrored-oled/

Make the bus windows along the sides of the buses with this tech. Then use RFID tech to have characters appear along the way, talk about what you're looking at outside the windows. Talk about the history of your destination. Or start singalongs. Stage interactions with the bus drivers. DO what can be done to make the trip itself fun and anticipatory. The ads for Disney Channel programs, movies now out on home video and scratchy audio announcements aren't cutting it.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
What would make more sense to me - but also will probably never be done - is make the bus fleet nicer.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-shows-retail-ready-transparent-mirrored-oled/

Make the bus windows along the sides of the buses with this tech. Then use RFID tech to have characters appear along the way, talk about what you're looking at outside the windows. Talk about the history of your destination. Or start singalongs. Stage interactions with the bus drivers. DO what can be done to make the trip itself fun and anticipatory. The ads for Disney Channel programs, movies now out on home video and scratchy audio announcements aren't cutting it.

A few years ago the drivers did interact with the guest by PA system, then it seems they went to recorded messages instead. I liked when the driver would talk to the guests on the way back after a long day in the Parks. It was personel. I remember once the driver explained the Tower of Terror story, I thought that was cool. Does anyone else remember when they interacted more over the PA.

Last edited:

French Quarter

Not trying to argue here, but read my post again. I said that I have rarely seen an accident tie up traffic so bad that people could not get out of it for hours. I do understand that traffic exists. Yes. However, Polly's comment (as are ALL of his other comments) are directed toward one thing: over-generalizations that only have one purpose, to drive arguments. He is deliberately vague and obtuse in order to drive that argument. For example, I made a comment to him that Disney is building many things right now in response to his "Disney is stagnant" post and he turns it around and asks for proof since they have not released names of rides. Yeah. It boggles the mind.

I hear what you are saying. I really do.

French Quarter

A few years ago the drivers did interact with the guest by PA system, then it seems they went to recorded messages instead. I liked when the driver would talk to the guests on the way back after a long day in the Parks. It was personel. I remember once the driver explained the Tower of Terror story, I thought that was cool. Does anyone else remember when they interacted more over the PA.

I'm guessing they wanted to stop all the misinformation that the drivers were spewing?

NormC

I love the monorail. I love AK. A connection would be cool but it is not practical or a good use of funds. My family park hops every trip and nearly every day when we are there. Our DVC home is Bay Lake Tower. We can get to AK faster than EPCOT. The bus is quicker even if we have to wait 10 minutes at the bus stop which is rare. The lack of a monorail does not affect our hopping at all. We spend the day in AK and hop to another park for the evening. We have done three parks in a day several times. On our last trip we went to DHS and took boat to EPCOT and Monorail to MK.

Tony the Tigger

We try not to park hop at all these days. We do one park in the morning, take a break in the afternoon, and usually go to a different park from dinner to closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom