Congress Questions Next Gen

RAXIP

That being said the new entrance area of MK with the MagicBand readers had no finger scanners. Only a CM with a PDA to barcode scan tickets and the golden Mickey pole to tap your wristband..

The new entry touch points do have biometric scanners.

ht_magic_band_1_jef_130108_wg.jpg

BadTigger

However, what he failed to tell you was that if you decide to NOT participate that you will get a lesser experience.

There will be NO FASTPASS at all for those not participating.

To me Fastpass isn't a right but, a perk. I've always been surprised they didn't start charging a small fee to use the system anyway.

BadTigger

The new entry touch points do have biometric scanners.

ht_magic_band_1_jef_130108_wg.jpg

Ah I didn't notice that since we had to have our tickets scanned anyway. It's funny they got rid of turnstiles. What are CMs expected to tackle people who don't have a valid ticket??

Needless to say it's the single finger system which again doesn't store a fingerprint, it's just measuring points.

icecreamrules

Don't be silly. Congressman Markey knows a national story when he sees one, and Kings Island isn't known beyond the Rust Belt. Disney is the big whale, and if Markey can get Bob Iger to kneel before his committee and explain under oath how his private company works and why it should be allowed to continue, then Markey's next election is a cake walk.

"Mr. Iger, are you now or have you ever been tracking how many churros my child eats in Frontierland?"

Your tax dollars at work. And Disney will be furious because as silly as the questions may seem, they just lost control of their MyMagic+ message on a national scale.
Then Congressman Markey can use THAT info to go on and lead a Disney-is-making-my-child-obese campaign!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ah I didn't notice that since we had to have our tickets scanned anyway. It's funny they got rid of turnstiles. What are CMs expected to tackle people who don't have a valid ticket??

Needless to say it's the single finger system which again doesn't store a fingerprint, it's just measuring points.
I think I'll use the single finger system too...only it'll be a different finger.

olinecoach61

Well I also forgot to include the amount of money they will be saving on not having to maintain magnetic card readers, which wear incredibly quickly. RFID readers involve only solid state parts.

Someone questioned the KTTW doing exactly the same stuff. And it does, it's a credit card they have all your personal information stored in a central database, every time you enter a park, get a fast pass and buy a turkey leg they know about it. Again instead of swiping you will now be tapping. Plus the new system ties into the apps, and other future interactive products which would be to costly and cumbersome with magnetic card readers.

Finger Prints, don't even get me started. THEY DON"T TAKE YOUR FINGER PRINT. The two finger machines they originally had measured the gap between your fingers, and that was tied to your ticket. The current machine takes multiple points of, yes your finger print and assigns it a unique value. That is compared each time you scan. But your finger print is not and has never been stored. Again we are all incredibly unimportant in the grand scheme of things for Disney to keep and store our finger prints.
That being said the new entrance area of MK with the MagicBand readers had no finger scanners. Only a CM with a PDA to barcode scan tickets and the golden Mickey pole to tap your wristband.

People are really in a tizzy for no reason, and as Iger said if you don't want to participate, then DON'T.
Well said!

rioriz

To me Fastpass isn't a right but, a perk. I've always been surprised they didn't start charging a small fee to use the system anyway.

I agree with you entirely...it started out as a perk and nothing has changed to make it a right...plenty other parks charge for their version and I have paid for it and glad I did...

GrumpyFan

So that was a verbal beat down by Iger, I loved it. Maybe the congressman will understand why the current congress is universally hated by everyone

RSoxNo1

Wasn't there another Privacy Policy that appeared a few weeks ago that indicated that guests would not be able to opt out of MyMagic+?

ParentsOf4

In his "lively" response to Rep. Markey's inquiries into MyMagic+, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that MagicBands will be used to track the locations of WDW guests. Three sentences in particular are related to this tracking feature.
The MagicBand is not GPS-based and does not enable collection of continuous location signals.
Essentially, this this is a round-about "yes" answer to the question, "Will Disney track your location using MagicBands?"

From a data storage perspective, it's impractical to track location on a continuous basis. Finite points need to be created so that the amount of data collected for 30 million annual guests do not overwhelm Disney's storage system. With a finite number of location readers, Disney can, for example, know if you are on an attraction, watching a parade, at a character meet-and-greet, in a restaurant, or at a store. They can know if you are in your room, in a hotel lobby, on a bus, or at DTD. The technology allows Disney to determine how long you remained at these locations and even what you did while there. Readers can be installed at key points so that, for example, Disney knows when and how long you stood in front of a display.

Unlike in the past, Disney can collect this information individually on you and your entire family, including your children, and cross-reference it to profile of the kind of person you are. Such information allows Disney to more accurately target you, making its advertising budget (Disney spends almost $2 Billion annually in advertising) much more effective.
The long-range readers which detect the MagicBands will be in specific locations for the purpose of providing better service to our guests.
Some speculated that Disney might install readers at only limited key points, such as entrances to attractions and door frames at stores and restaurants. This could be done using short-range readers. Disney's response confirms their plans are more ambitious, since they also intend to deploy long-range readers.
We will not share location information collected in connection with the MagicBand throughout The Walt Disney Company without the consent of the guest.
In other words, Disney will collect your location information, effectively tracking you, but not share it if you can determine which "privacy option" you need to select you disable this feature. Regardless of which option you select, Disney still intends to collect and use this information. They just won't share it.

If you don't agree with Disney's plans to track you, you will be "punished" by not receiving FP+. Considering that we receive FP today without being tracked in such an intrusive manner, It's hardly a "voluntary" system. Traditionally, companies have paid volunteers to participate in such all-encompassing data collection schemes, making volunteers fully aware of what was being collected. The fact that you are not being financially compensated for your participation suggests Disney is simply hoping you won't notice.

You might think, "I have nothing to hide". That's not the point. The point is that, with MagicBand, you are allowing a multi-billion dollar mega corporation to track your whereabouts. You are allowing a complete stranger to track your children. On this aspect, there are almost no laws protecting your privacy from corporations. Today, you will be tracked at WDW, tomorrow it's where? Where does it end?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom