Congress Questions Next Gen

copcarguyp71

Iger returns fire. Although congressman Markey asked questions many of us are glad he did Iger does vehemently call out the esteemed congressman on doing so in such a public fashion. Interesting that Iger points out all of those things called into question will not be used on children but says nothing about what uses TDO has for adults information or whether they will sell information gathered on those over 13. He also does not say that they will so do not misread my tone...

http://www.disneybymark.com/2013/01/28/breaking-iger-defends-magicband-congressmans-citicism/

dcibrando

If you don't agree with Disney's plans to track you, you will be "punished" by not receiving FP+.

OMG are you serious? Look, I don't agree with everything Disney does or doesn't do... but to think that this MyMagic+ thing isn't VERY SMART on their part is missing the big picture here. They aren't being nosey and going to become evil and sell our information to others.... if you are worried about the tracking and knowing your every move and location I assume you all don't have a facebook page, a cell phone, or never get on the internet right?

As for the thought that you would be "punished" for not doing FP+ ....you're not doing it today right so what's the difference?

Disney's goal in my opion is noble... they want to allow interactive opportunities for guests in and around attractions plus be able to gather enough data WHILE YOU ARE IN THEIR PARKS ONLY that will enhance what they offer and how they offer it

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OMG are you serious? Look, I don't agree with everything Disney does or doesn't do... but to think that this MyMagic+ thing isn't VERY SMART on their part is missing the big picture here. They aren't being nosey and going to become evil and sell our information to others.... if you are worried about the tracking and knowing your every move and location I assume you all don't have a facebook page, a cell phone, or never get on the internet right?

As for the thought that you would be "punished" for not doing FP+ ....you're not doing it today right so what's the difference?

Disney's goal in my opion is noble... they want to allow interactive opportunities for guests in and around attractions plus be able to gather enough data WHILE YOU ARE IN THEIR PARKS ONLY that will enhance what they offer and how they offer it
The point is that Fastpass is going away completely to be replaced with Fastpass+.

If you opt out, then you opt out to a lesser experience.

ParentsOf4

No one said Fastpass is going away
and even if it were, Fastpass is not something they have to offer any of us
Yes, Disney has said that FP+ will completely replace FP. FP is going away.

FP is not "free". We pay for FP in the price of our admission, just like we pay for the parades, attractions, meet-and-greets, etc. Extending your logic, Disney could close every single attraction since they are "not something they have to offer any of us". If Disney wants to get rid of FP, great, then lower the price of my diminished WDW experience proportionally. FP is going away. Guess what direction prices are heading.

dcibrando

Yes, Disney has said that FP+ will completely replace FP. FP is going away.

FP is not "free". We pay for FP in the price of our admission, just like we pay for the parades, attractions, meet-and-greets, etc. Extending your logic, Disney could close every single attraction since they are "not something they have to offer any of us". If Disney wants to get rid of FP, great, then lower the price of my diminished WDW experience proportionally. FP is going away. Guess what direction prices are heading.

you are also paying for the new Fantasyland, the new Test Track, etc. and let's not forget the new bathrooms lol - seriously, Disney can take away and add all they want... it's THEIR business... we are the ones that go but we don't have to. Same thing as going to a restaurant...if they remove something from the menu or are priced too high in our opinion, we don't have to go.

I must have missed that FP is for sure going away but that makes sense anyways. Whether or not some choose to use FP+ is up to the individual person. If they want to complain... have at it... Disney is not in the business of pleasing everyone because that is impossible, evident by these forums haha

flynnibus

Premium Member
There will be NO FASTPASS at all for those not participating.

But what is 'not participating'?? Opt-ing out of magicband or marketing does not disqualify you from FP+

This is another area of 'half-truth' I think is being misinterpreted.

do you really think people are going to refuse a RFID enabled ticket? Do people refuse RFID enabled hotel room keys?

dcibrando

From the MyMagic+ FAQ:

4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
- No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.​
As I recall, this also was stated in Iger's letter to Rep. Markey.

so how is that being punished? are you getting butterbeer spit on you by the camel in adventureland if you don't have MyMagic+?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
so how is that being punished? are you getting butterbeer spit on you by the camel in adventureland if you don't have MyMagic+?

I believe it is fairly obvious that you are getting punished/having a lesser park experience by having to wait in long lines with no recourse. Of course, they could add a few more attractions to each park so waits wouldn't be so bad, but they'd rather spend over a billion dollars on this.....

GrumpyFan

Indeed, FastPass(+) is a privilege that Disney offers to its guests, not a right, nor something that is given to you with admission. Just like food and merchandise, you can buy these if you like, but you better use cash, or Disney will record your credit card info and stalk you to buy more stuff!

BTW: If you choose to go to WDW the week of Christmas or during mid-summer, you are punishing yourself with a lesser park experience! You can look at it as punishment, or you can look it at as another way to experience the parks, with a premium attached. This will either fail for Disney, if people vote with their pocketbook, or it will be a big success when people buy in for the extras.

flynnibus

Premium Member
From the MyMagic+ FAQ:

4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
- No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.​
As I recall, this also was stated in Iger's letter to Rep. Markey.

MyMagic+ is the entire system - not just 'tracking'. This doesn't exclude the combination of using the online site and still opt'ing out of profiling/marketing.

dcibrando

punished? lesser park experience? longer lines? - how do you know this won't expand fastpass lines now. Maybe we're the ones being punished that opt to use it?

seriously... as I said before... I do not agree with everything they do or don't do... but this is not going to "punish" anyone if they don't use it. Personally, I don't even use fastpasses... I get up early and get to the park at opening and beat all the crowds to ride the popular attractions first... give it a shot... it won't be a lesser park experience I promise.

Rose&Crowner

I believe it is fairly obvious that you are getting punished/having a lesser park experience by having to wait in long lines with no recourse. Of course, they could add a few more attractions to each park so waits wouldn't be so bad, but they'd rather spend over a billion dollars on this.....

I hate being punished for not staying on property and not getting extra magic hours. How unfair. Disney owes us right?!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
MyMagic+ is the entire system - not just 'tracking'. This doesn't exclude the combination of using the online site and still opt'ing out of profiling/marketing.

I am not sure if I missed something here. But can you opt out of certain aspects of MyMagic+? Ie...the tracking aspects?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not sure if I missed something here. But can you opt out of certain aspects of MyMagic+? Ie...the tracking aspects?

It's not entirely clear exactly where ALL the distinction points are, but Disney has made it clear you can opt out of marketing, and the bands, and possibly even more aspects. See the portion of the letter sent to Markey from the addendum

@ParentsOf4 this speaks to your concern too...

http://pinterest.com/pin/275212227200911054/
Consistent with best practices, when the MagicBand becomes available to our guests we will once again provide the guests with full notice about the information that will be collected by the MagicBand. At that time, the guest can elect to use a card instead, as described more fully below.

Guests can control and limit the amount of personal information they provide to us

Guests who participate in MyMagic+ only provide basic contact information:name, email, address and date of birth. Guests whould also provide the name and age of other members of their travel party participating in the program. This information is used to establish the account the guests will use to participate in the program, and is consistent with both practices utilized by the hospitality and travel industries for guest registration and what our resort guests provide today. MyMagic+ participants provide any additional information only at their option.

Guests control how their information is used

Guest's personal data is not stored in the MagicBand. The MagicBand is not GPS-based and does not enable collection of continuous location signals. The long-range readers which detect the MagicBands will be in specific locations for the purpose of providing better service to our guests.

Guests can participate in MyMagic+ and visit the park without using the MagicBand by choosing a card instead. The card contains a short-range chip whose location cannot be detected by the long-range readers stationed in the park. We also plan to provide the option for such guests to use the Fast Pass [sic] system by simply providing basic contact information (name and email address). As is also true for parties using MyMagic+, the system would not require seperate email addresses for other members of the guest party.

We will not share location information collected in connection with the MagicBand throughout The Walt Disney Company without the consent of the guest.

As is always the case at Disney, guests participating in MyMagic+ can choose not to receive marketing information from us. MyMagic+ also allows guests to receive offers and tips during their visit to the Walt Disney World parks and resorts, but only if they request them from us.

As described in the Disney privacy policy found at http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html guests can ask us to amend or delete personal information we may hold about them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom