Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

willtravel

Ok I have to disagree with you, but not in a way that you might expect. If what is being said is true... And nothing indicates that it isnt ...This is theming that until now had only been achieved in the likes of the movie WEST WORLD. This isnt on par with disney from a decade ago. This is nothing like disney has EVER achieved. Jim hill said "THIS IS A GAME CHANGER" and went on to describe what can only be called TOTAL immersion. When you can walk down the street and from shop to shop and into rides without breaking theme even in the slightest fashion. This is almost a virtual reality. Even the items you buy in the shops are items you can use in the park to further immerse not just your kids, but adults too further into the theme! This could be a dagger in the heart for WDW. The fact that WDW isn't fast tracking ANYTHING let alone a completely immersive Star Wars land spells doom if not for Wdw but surely for its fans.
For ME, I would rather have assorted attractions not a immersive land. I enjoy all the variety. You have Adventureland in MK but there is a variety in the type of attractions that it offers.

bhg469

For ME, I would rather have assorted attractions not a immersive land. I enjoy all the variety. You have Adventureland in MK but there is a variety in the type of attractions that it offers.
Adventure land without the theming would be no more than a local theme park. Its the theming and immersion that made Disney land and wdw the greatest theme park in the world for a very long time. We would all love more attractions but when you drop a traveling carnival in the middle of animal kingdom, you have to have your head. Dino Rama is my personal moment when I wondered what if things were forever going downhill. Theming can make or break them. From what it sounds like, universal gets it more than the current regime at WDW.

britain

Adventure land without the theming would be no more than a local theme park. Its the theming and immersion that made Disney land and wdw the greatest theme park in the world for a very long time. We would all love more attractions but when you drop a traveling carnival in the middle of animal kingdom, you have to have your head. Dino Rama is my personal moment when I wondered what if things were forever going downhill. Theming can make or break them. From what it sounds like, universal gets it more than the current regime at WDW.
I think it's pretty clear that willtravel meant that Adventureland is not tied to one particular intellectual property, but an assortment of intellectual properties and stories tied together with a loose theme

You know, like fantasyland and tomorrowland and frontierland.

CDavid

Neither assorted attractions nor an immersive land work in isolation. Both are a necessary part of the theme park experience. You don't want a bunch of assorted, unrelated and unthemed attractions (like a local carnival, except on a grander scale) in an otherwise well designed park, but even the most immersively themed land with only one or two attractions is equally lacking.

Matt_Black

It is absolutely serious. Why not reward shareholders with stable dividends rather than speculative share price?
While IP purchases are a good thing long term, but how exactly is P&R rapidly monetizing said new IP? Shareholders should be screaming that there is no concrete exploitation of recent IP purchase?

No exploitation? You've got all the Marvel movies, including the upcoming animated one. You've got several new Marvel animated series (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H. to name a few). You've got Star Wars 7 coming. You've got the new animated series Star Wars: Rebels. There are plans for a new Indy movie. You've got Agents of SHIELD on ABC and tentative plans for an Agent Carter series. There are the upcoming Netflix projects. Are you REALLY trying to argue that Disney isn't exploiting their newly acquired IPs?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
No exploitation? You've got all the Marvel movies, including the upcoming animated one. You've got several new Marvel animated series (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H. to name a few). You've got Star Wars 7 coming. You've got the new animated series Star Wars: Rebels. There are plans for a new Indy movie. You've got Agents of SHIELD on ABC and tentative plans for an Agent Carter series. There are the upcoming Netflix projects. Are you REALLY trying to argue that Disney isn't exploiting their newly acquired IPs?

Good. Now let's do something about the parks.

KJC

Ok, after hearing this, WDW, is not even close to bringing anything this good. This sounds like genuine grade a theming that is equal to disney decade type innovation. I'm very upset that I will not be able to see this in person for at least a year.

The podcast was very informative, but what struck me the most was when he shared the banner that's hanging in the backstage areas of USR, where cast members walk past every day:

"Universal's goal is to be recognized for having the best guest service in the themed entertainment industry."

And also, the quote from former Imagineer Mike West, who now works for Universal, when Jim asked him why he seems happier than he's ever been:

"They don't like to have meetings. They like to build things."

Then, when West is asked what he's doing next: "Can't talk about it. It's really cool. And they're going to keep me busy for a couple of years."

PhotoDave219

I would like to see Star Wars incorporated FURTHER into the parks than what has happened. I'd like to see Marvel do something in DL/DCA (cant east of the mississippi). Build the stark expo or something.

While all of that is fine and dandy, all of it will drive more of an interest into having a theme park attraction/makeover using those properties. All the other divisions seem to be on board......

Matt_Black

Yes, yes I am.

What have the parks added in years??? M&G and monorail wraps don't count.

Well, you could ask the same thing about Disney IPs in the parks. We'll have the Dwarf Coaster, we had the little Mermaid ride, and before that... umm... hmm. The parks take longer to implement things.

Matt_Black

My apologies, what I meant was:
Good. Now let's do something about the FLORIDA parks.

You know very well that, currently, Disney is limited to what they can do in Florida because of the Universal contract. They've been exploiting loopholes wherever and however they can, and will continue to do so in the future, until they reach some sort of deal with Uni.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
You know very well that, currently, Disney is limited to what they can do in Florida because of the Universal contract. They've been exploiting loopholes wherever and however they can, and will continue to do so in the future, until they reach some sort of deal with Uni.

You listed 3 IPs. They're restricted on only one.
Either way, right now I'd be more than happy with any NON-IP additions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom