Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Nubs70

Is this question serious?

How can any of the aggressive purchases Iger has made not be considered made towards long term profitability? Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar will all made boat-loads of money until the world ends. Shareholders like myself wouldn't trade any of those purchases for a small blip of fad audience for small revenue in a small time amusement part.

Disney is being run right, this should not be questioned.

Jimmy Thick- Back to black.
It is absolutely serious. Why not reward shareholders with stable dividends rather than speculative share price?
While IP purchases are a good thing long term, but how exactly is P&R rapidly monetizing said new IP? Shareholders should be screaming that there is no concrete exploitation of recent IP purchase?

Last edited:

bhg469

I think they are actually referring to Jim Hill. Here's a youtube link: . He did an interview with @lentesta after visiting the construction site this week.

Ok, after hearing this, WDW, is not even close to bringing anything this good. This sounds like genuine grade a theming that is equal to disney decade type innovation. I'm very upset that I will not be able to see this in person for at least a year.

PhotoDave219

Well, in regards to the Marvel IP, Disney is limited in how they can leverage that, at least in the case of WDW. They've been leveraging Lucasfilm and Pixar in the parks for decades, it's just that they own both now.

I'll rephrase. The public wants to see DHS have a starwars makeover and adding a Pixar place.

Disney isn't doing anything in comparison to what Universal is doing and as a Disney fan, it's frustrating as hell.

flyerjab

I am a huge Disney fan but am only 4+ years into experiencing WDW. I have not been going for decades so I can't speak to the decline others have talked about on this site. All I can say is that in January 2009, was the first time I rode the ferry, walked under the train station and onto MSUSA. This was at sunset right when a show with Mickey was ending in front of the castle and fireworks were used at the end of the show. I was completely blown away by that experience so in a way I am glad that I only know the WDW of now and not what was. At least my present day opinion will never be discolored by past visits when the parks were superior to what they are now.

We first went to Uni in 2012 and of course walked straight to WWOHP. I was not as overwhelmed as others were at that land, although Honeydukes and the 3 Broomsticks were very good - my meal was excellent! Not as impressed with the castle either although I am giving it another shot as the weather that day was horrendous!!

That being said…….

I can't WAIT to see London/Diagon Alley this summer! From everything I have read and everything I have now seen online, it looks like this will be amazing (I will say though that the webcast was totally weak!). Cannot wait to ride both E Tickets, especially the Gringott's ride. And I think that the concept for what is essentially a connecting vehicle between both parks will now count as an E Ticket experience is an ingenious idea. We are going on a 2 week trip this summer to the World (including a 3 night DCL trip on Dream), and I am happy to report that Uni has won me over with their recent endeavors. We will be staying 2 nights, one in Portofino Bay and one in the Family Tower Suite of Cabana Bay.

In the end, I don't want to get caught up in this WDW/Uni battle. I want to try to experience the best of both places as I believe that WDW still has a lot to offer my family (DW and 3 kids 12 and under - and not very brave). But being able to add time onto the trip in Uni will just make the trip that much better.

Cannot wait, and I will try to send trip reports since I will be experiencing multiple WDW resorts, the DCL, as well as 2 resorts at Uni. It should provide for some great comparisons.

mahnamahna101

Jimmy Thick- Potter phase two? After one year, attendance around 8.2 million, all Disney parks over 10 million, at least...
For the record, this is more accurate of a scenario

2014:
USF - 8.6 million
IOA - 8.2 million (needing a 2-park ticket to ride Hogwarts Express will help it BIG time)
2015:
USF - 9.8 million
IOA - 9.1 million
2016:
USF - 10.3 million
IOA - 10.0 million
2017:
IOA - 10.6 million
USF - 10.4 million
2018:
IOA - 11.1 million
USF - 10.7 million
2019:
IOA - 11.4 million
USF - 11.2 million

Roughly 11 million per park and with an amazing 3rd gate getting 10-12 million per year plus HUGE amounts of guest spending per guest, while Disney makes a ever slight decline (I'd expect by 2017, that Epcot and DHS will have begun a steady descent to 8 million guests while AK will be at 8.5 million before Pandora, MK might decline to 16 million if they don't greenlight an actual E-ticket soon

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'll rephrase. The public wants to see DHS have a starwars makeover and adding a Pixar place.

Disney isn't doing anything in comparison to what Universal is doing and as a Disney fan, it's frustrating as hell.

More offerings at Pixar place should've happened long ago since DHS cries out for and yearns for more family friendly fare. Alas, the powers that be don't listen to her laments and we fans pay the price.

Voice of Disney sanity

Ok, after hearing this, WDW, is not even close to bringing anything this good. This sounds like genuine grade a theming that is equal to disney decade type innovation. I'm very upset that I will not be able to see this in person for at least a year.
Ok I have to disagree with you, but not in a way that you might expect. If what is being said is true... And nothing indicates that it isnt ...This is theming that until now had only been achieved in the likes of the movie WEST WORLD. This isnt on par with disney from a decade ago. This is nothing like disney has EVER achieved. Jim hill said "THIS IS A GAME CHANGER" and went on to describe what can only be called TOTAL immersion. When you can walk down the street and from shop to shop and into rides without breaking theme even in the slightest fashion. This is almost a virtual reality. Even the items you buy in the shops are items you can use in the park to further immerse not just your kids, but adults too further into the theme! This could be a dagger in the heart for WDW. The fact that WDW isn't fast tracking ANYTHING let alone a completely immersive Star Wars land spells doom if not for Wdw but surely for its fans.

Last edited:

Funmeister

Ok I have to disagree with you, but not in a way that you might expect. If what is being said is true... And nothing indicates that it isnt ...This is theming that until now had only been achieved in the likes of the movie WEST WORLD. This is nothing like disney has EVER achieved. Jim hill said "THIS IS A GAME CHANGER" and went on to describe what can only be called TOTAL immersion. When you can walk down the street and from shop to shop without breaking theme even in the slightest fashion. This is almost a virtual reality. This could be a dagger in the beart for WDW. The fact that WDW isn't fast tracking a completely immersive Star Wars land spells doom if not for Wdw but surely for its fans.

It has been achieved before in Tokyo. If it is indeed "immersive" on the same level or exceeding Tokyo DisneySea I agree that this is a game changer. Not just on a Disney/Universal level but industry wide.

I chuckle to myself to think of sales meetings in the past with Randy G. preaching about market share and how volatile the industry and market place was/is. He says that if you have the market share and you lose it to a competitor it is highly unlikely to get it back if any at all. So how does this mentality work with what the company is doing by not going tit for tat in upgrading the vacation experience (no not MM+)? It doesn't.

WDW is a marketing shell of a quality product. The quality and service was once there but they are no longer selling cutting edge entertainment. They are selling memories and nostalgia of the way it used to be. Not what it is today. Compare a WDW planning video from five years ago to the latest version and do the same with Universal. Disney does not even update stock footage on most of the video.

What Universal is doing is getting international attention. That is the key to hurting Disney in Florida. Get the international guests to expand their vacation and you take away market share. Sorry family of four from Oklahoma. As much as Universal wants your money, and will get it, they realize they have to make a statement world wide to take the spotlight away from the mouse. Targeting international visitors is key. In addition they are so smart to have something always actively in development to SHOW there will alwyas be something new to experience on your next trip.

It is a proven FACT that devoted Disney guests will put off going to Disney for a year or two until the next biggest and best thing opens at Disney. It used to be a a shorter cycle because there was a lot going on. Now? Avatar in 2017 (possibly 2018...wait for it). Universal is giving more and more reasons to keep coming back as soon as possible.

Universal needs the bait to get attention to get the ball rolling.

This is it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom