Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

RSoxNo1

Radical idea. Build amazing attractions that are successful due to being amazing attractions.

I've said it before. A great attraction will succeed regardless of the IP.

The right IP attached to an amazing attraction will only complement and enhance it.
The right IP makes it easier to market, unless of course it's Star Wars/Tours and they just chose not to market it.

Matt_Black

The right IP makes it easier to market, unless of course it's Star Wars/Tours and they just chose not to market it.

Do they even need to market Star Tours at this point? It's been a popular ride for 25 years. You might as well say they don't market Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.

RSoxNo1

Do they even need to market Star Tours at this point? It's been a popular ride for 25 years. You might as well say they don't market Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.
When Star Tours re-launched Disney was disappointed that it didn't move the needle at DHS. The problem is, they didn't advertise it. It's not as popular as it should be, although being a Tier 2 attraction has helped it's attendance in the same way an undervalued D-ticket would get a boost.

gonnichi

When Star Tours re-launched Disney was disappointed that it didn't move the needle at DHS. The problem is, they didn't advertise it. It's not as popular as it should be, although being a Tier 2 attraction has helped it's attendance in the same way an undervalued D-ticket would get a boost.

I agree with you. The reason it is not as popular for me is that its just not as thrilling as say Spiderman or Transformers. It's old technology and its ok as it is don't get me wrong, it's just not as thrilling as other rides that are in motion. I love being able to go into the world of Star Wars and I really enjoy Star Tours a lot, its just not an awesomely amazing attraction to me. Its just a great attraction.

Matt_Black

Hey, I think the new stuff is great, what with the variable scenes and C3PO being in the shuttle with you. I am a bit biased, however, as the last time I rode it, I got to be the Rebel Spy! *squeeee*

twebber55

I agree with you. The reason it is not as popular for me is that its just not as thrilling as say Spiderman or Transformers. It's old technology and its ok as it is don't get me wrong, it's just not as thrilling as other rides that are in motion. I love being able to go into the world of Star Wars and I really enjoy Star Tours a lot, its just not an awesomely amazing attraction to me. Its just a great attraction.
This
Its a solid attraction nothing great thats why it didnt move the needle
Which goes backto what martin said
Great ip doesnt equal great ride

bhg469

This
Its a solid attraction nothing great thats why it didnt move the needle
Which goes backto what martin said
Great ip doesnt equal great ride
It was great when it opened and the return was one of the ones disney did a great job but that section of MGM was amazing to me as a kid and young adult.. Up until they squeezed the lil Jedi's stage in there, it was so cool to me. The queue was also really fantastic.

asianway

Star Tours suffers from Horizons syndrome in that it's a people eater. Do we know how it's hourly counts have looked pre and post upgrade?

gonnichi

It is true a great IP doesn't guarantee a great ride. What I find interesting is that when I go on Star Tours I feel like I am reliving the movie. I think of it as I'm at DH Studios and I'm experiencing the movie. When I'm at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter I feel like I'm in the World of Harry Potter not the Movie. It feels so real. I hope that made sense. So an IP can create a great environment which is what I'm hoping for with Star Wars at DHS. They better do this right. Star Wars land better be a great all encompassing world and not a hodgepodge of rides and restaurants and shops thrown together.

rioriz

Just look at recently Mystic Manor...Awesome attraction with no IP.I blame a lot of this on the American culture. We are an IP culture now. I disagree with Marni though that an original attraction, however great, can do as much as it could with an IP. Lets say if Everest was up against Transformers, both good attractions but Transformers has a much higher reach due to it familiarity

AndyMagic

Original Poster
When Star Tours re-launched Disney was disappointed that it didn't move the needle at DHS. The problem is, they didn't advertise it.

The problem most certainly wasn't that they didn't advertise it. The reason it didn't move the needle is because it is the same old ride with upgraded projection systems and some other bells and whistles. It was an upgrade that was overdue by about 15 years. When Universal upgraded Earthquake and re-branded it Disaster, they did so because the ride was getting stale and they wanted to keep it fresh. They didn't expect it to increase attendance and Disney shouldn't have either. You can't really pick an IP better than Star Wars but people don't really give two toots if you don't do anything impressive with it.

Funmeister

The problem most certainly wasn't that they didn't advertise it. The reason it didn't move the needle is because it is the same old ride with upgraded projection systems and some other bells and whistles. It was an upgrade that was overdue by about 15 years. When Universal upgraded Earthquake and re-branded it Disaster, they did so because the ride was getting stale and they wanted to keep it fresh. They didn't expect it to increase attendance and Disney shouldn't have either. You can't really pick an IP better than Star Wars but people don't really give two toots if you don't do anything impressive with it.

100% agreed! The company actually cut water park marketing budget in order to buy MORE (is in, in addition to) Lynx bus wraps (not 2 or 3....try 8 or 9) and billboards. The Studios was really banking on a positive bump in attendance and got nothing. To say they did not advertise is insane.

Another problem is they marketed Star Wars over the new features of the ride. Sure they had some minor aspects showing of some of the bells and whistles but not to the level they could have to get anyone excited about a two decade old ride.

Tony Perkis

Could be worse... It could acknowledge the Star Wars Holiday Special....
#NeverForget

holiday_06_luke.jpg%3Fw%3D655

RSoxNo1

This switched Star Tours from C/D attraction to a D/E attraction. Having said that, how often do "refreshes" or "replacements" ever move the needle? You're absolutely right about this. Having said that, it was very popular in Cali because it had 67% of the capacity in a park that draws 50% more guests than DHS. It was also advertised throughout California whereas Disney failed to advertise Star Tours up and down the East coast.

The park needed the Monster's Inc Coaster (or some other D ticket) a few years ago, and even with that it would still need the Star Wars expansion. It will get passed by one or both Universal parks in attendance, it's only a matter of when.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom