Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

The Empress Lilly

Classic Disney commonly used existing IP too. Just not cartoon / live action movie ones. But rather it played with existing notions of 'the Wild West', or 'New Orleans', or 'exotic adventure movies'. The Jungle Cruise, Treehouse, and the tropical village are the theme park representations of pre-existing orientalist imagery of the visitor too. (And in the case of the Cruise and Treehouse, indirectly and directly based on movie IPs too). Pirates plays on existing public imagery of Piracy in the West.

I would call these representations of existing 'Public IP'. As opposed to 'Private IP'. The former feel more broad, encompassing, free. The latter feel constraint, boringly self-referential, almost claustrophobic when dominant.

Disney shouldn't be afriad that it can not make Public IP its own. You can Disneyfy public IP into something entirely your own too. Disney's New Orleans (existing public IP) is as much Disney as Disney's Snow White (existing public domain IP), and as much Disney as Stitch (private IP).

The main problems for modern Disney are that it is difficult to gain IP rights to their Disneyfied representations of exiting public IP. And, related, that there is less synergy between the different modes of exploitation of the IP.

Nubs70

That is not a 'take the parks private' its a recruit with quality moment, don't hire for just outside, but hire from division - but I like to think it is all Bruce Vaughan problem. They could of hired a couple of cool guys from Disney Interactive to help with park elements. Lets instead of hiring set designers from award winning movies lets hire from local colleges ... It is a Bruce problem and I believe a Tom F. problem as well.
My rationale behind "take it private" is that a cultural change needs to take place and the Eisner/Iger culture is so engrained that a shift to private will allow the needed flexibility to expedite the cultural shift. Not to discount the advances during the Eisner era, Eisners culture was valid at that time but times have changed.

bhg469

Well, you could ask the same thing about Disney IPs in the parks. We'll have the Dwarf Coaster, we had the little Mermaid ride, and before that... umm... hmm. The parks take longer to implement things.
That's one park that one could argue that needed very little in terms of expansion or refurbishing. Epcot has gotten all but gutted while the other two have been all but ignored. Sure AK is getting Pandora but that is a long way off and was announced ages ago.

bhg469

Again, that's not anything new. Even during "The Disney Decade" when the company's biggest hits came out (and the parks were so much better to hear some on these boards tell it), we didn't get many rides featuring those films. Mostly, we got live shows and M&Gs.
Whoa hold up a second... Meet and greets weren't a thing, characters were just out and about in abundance. The parks were pristine and a whole park was planned and opened as well as great non-dvc resorts were opened. I'm also sure that animal kingdom had a majority of its planning done during this time as well if it wasn't full opened then.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Whoa hold up a second... Meet and greets weren't a thing, characters were just out and about in abundance. The parks were pristine and a whole park was planned and opened as well as great non-dvc resorts were opened.

Sorry but AK was not a "whole park" when it was opened. It was not even a half-day park. It is just a half-day park now.

Jimmy Thick

Funny how people like to discuss Disney executives like they are hanging out with them and discussing business.

Have to believe most of the thoughts surrounding them, and their potential bonuses is more Fantasyland than what is erect in the parks themselves.

Carry on, carry on.

Jimmy Thick- "So Bobby, what are you going to buy next?"

SirLink

My rationale behind "take it private" is that a cultural change needs to take place and the Eisner/Iger culture is so engrained that a shift to private will allow the needed flexibility to expedite the cultural shift. Not to discount the advances during the Eisner era, Eisners culture was valid at that time but times have changed.

Yeah you don't make it private to do that you cut the snake's head of and stamp on the eggs. Horn or Snyder would be a breath of fresh air, while at it put Skipper John out to pasture.

Skibum1970

Why would it make a difference? The same engineering talent would need to be applied to IP attractions as non IP attractions.

I agree with you and Marni that rides do not need IP ties to succeed. As evidence, I give the jury "Mystic Manor". An incredible looking ride that was not based on any Disney movie. Instead, Imagineers put their creative minds to work to create something awesome.

willtravel

Adventure land without the theming would be no more than a local theme park. Its the theming and immersion that made Disney land and wdw the greatest theme park in the world for a very long time. We would all love more attractions but when you drop a traveling carnival in the middle of animal kingdom, you have to have your head. Dino Rama is my personal moment when I wondered what if things were forever going downhill. Theming can make or break them. From what it sounds like, universal gets it more than the current regime at WDW.
I never said not to have a theme. (Adventure)land in MK is the theme. Within Advetureland there are attractions that carry the adventure theme. Each attraction has it's own characters/story. No characters/story spill over into other Adventureland attractions.

With Star Wars land or Avatar, the whole land will be about those movies and characters only. For my taste, if they must base a land around a theme, I would rather have a bunch of different attractions like there is in Adventureland, Tommorowland, or could have in Pixar place highlighting several Pixar movies.

I wish Disney would not try to compete with what UNI is doing but go back to what Disney did the best.

bhg469

Sorry but AK was not a "whole park" when it was opened. It was not even a half-day park. It is just a half-day park now.

Right that's why I wasn't referring to AK... MGM was what I referenced, it looks as though you quoted me before I edited my post but I agree AK was not a full day park. Regardless it was there and it led to a 4th gate and most of the planning work was done during that "decade".

WDW1974

Radical idea. Build amazing attractions that are successful due to being amazing attractions.

I've said it before. A great attraction will succeed regardless of the IP.

The right IP attached to an amazing attraction will only complement and enhance it.

So nothing new to see here. Common sense. And insanity with the same initials it has always had here.

You are such a great bloke, Martin. Got some interesting DLP thoughts after my recent holiday that you may be interested in (new thread when I am back stateside).

Magenta Panther

I agree with you and Marni that rides do not need IP ties to succeed. As evidence, I give the jury "Mystic Manor". An incredible looking ride that was not based on any Disney movie. Instead, Imagineers put their creative minds to work to create something awesome.

Like Haunted Mansion, Small World, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney parks do NOT NEED the latest hot flash-in-the-pan IPS to attract tourists. Just good rides with brilliant engineering and unfettered Imagineering. Pity Robert Iger has NO concept of what that means...

Voice of Disney sanity

The game changer with the new potter land is the way the land itself tells a story in a way that has never been done before in a themed land in that It almost lets you live the movies. You arrive in London and find you way into the wizarding world where you can then buy your supplies for hogsmead in the shops before board the hogsmead express and go to hogsmead and complete the forbidden journey. To say that a loose theme of adventure land is just as good is like saying a video game of disjointed puzzles is better or as good that one that tells a story like grand theft auto. An intertwined theme allows for way more fantasy than going from thunder mountain to POC to Swiss family Robinson tree house.

bhg469

The game changer with the new potter land is the way the land itself tells a story in a way that has never been done before in a themed land in that It almost lets you live the movies. You arrive in London and find you way into the wizarding world where you can then buy your supplies for hogsmead in the shops before board the hogsmead express and go to hogsmead and complete the forbidden journey. To say that a loose theme of adventure land is just as good is like saying a video game of disjointed puzzles is better or as good that one that tells a story like grand theft auto. An intertwined theme allows for way more fantasy than going from thunder mountain to POC to Swiss family Robinson tree house.
Well there are always the mouth breathers that prefer to avoid the story portions of games just like the ones who are impressed at the height of a drop rather than top notch animatronics and an ultra modern ride system.

Last edited:

Voice of Disney sanity

Well there are always the moth breathers that prefer to avoid the story portions of games just like the ones who are impressed at the height of a drop rather than top notch animatronics and an ultra modern ride system.
I see thier point too the incredible hulk is awesome fun but even though I think hulk is a better roller coaster the rock n roller coaster to me is a way better ride. The potter lands are taking what disney invented and taking it to the next level.

Nubs70

Yeah you don't make it private to do that you cut the snake's head of and stamp on the eggs. Horn or Snyder would be a breath of fresh air, while at it put Skipper John out to pasture.
Love the addition of "stomp on the eggs" to the head of the snake analogy. I may just add that to my analogy toolbox, if I can be granted trademark permission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom