Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

lebeau

Unfortunately Uni has adopted this

I do think it makes a certain kind of sense for something like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Outside of Potter, are they doing this? Is Transformers' full name Jerry Bruckheimer's Loud Robot Cars Smashing Each Other Up: The World of Transformers?

I am being genuine when I ask. Truth is, I'm not a "Uni-Drooler" and I don't know the full names of the attractions like I do at WDW (which I supposedly hate).

Tony Perkis

In fairness, I'd bet large sums of money it won't be called "Avatarland" when it finally opens. More likely "James Cameron presents Pandora: The World of Avatar",or something like that.

But "Avatarland" is nice shorthand, just like "Potterland." Thanks to Walt, we're stuck with the term "____land" just like we're stuck with "weenie."
You're right in that this will likely be the name when it is opened, but that's just one of the problems I have with this.

The film makes an argument for pro-natural habitat, anti-commercialization lifestyles. Capitalism and corporations are the enemy in Avatar. So, it just surprises me that Disney hopes to strike gold by a property that believes in everything Disney doesn't.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I do think it makes a certain kind of sense for something like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Outside of Potter, are they doing this? Is Transformers' full name Jerry Bruckheimer's Loud Robot Cars Smashing Each Other Up: The World of Transformers?

I am being genuine when I ask. Truth is, I'm not a "Uni-Drooler" and I don't know the full names of the attractions like I do at WDW (which I supposedly hate).
Michael Bay did the Transformers films, not Bruckheimer. The full name of the attraction is Transformers: The Ride - 3D. Not too creative but definitely to the point.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts follows the naming conventions of the books: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and so forth.

lebeau

Michael Bay did the Transformers films, not Bruckheimer.

:facepalm: d'oh!

The full name of the attraction is Transformers: The Ride - 3D. Not too creative but definitely to the point.

Yep, perfectly acceptable

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts follows the naming conventions of the books: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and so forth.

Just like Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. It works.

Nubs70

Methinks @Nubs70 is having some fun with us
No kind of a brain fart. Typing too quick and not proof reading. Anyhow.....

I was pondering on how WDW could, or if, be returned to the level of quality that is World Class. I have decided that non core Disney entities must be divested and Disney core assets sold to a private organization that can operate Disney Parks for a profit but are not constrained to limitations of increasing stock prices.

As we pine for 2016 and the exit of Iger, his replacement will be little different. The Iger culture is too ingrained to be changed by a change in leadership and strategy. Culture trumps Strategy. Thus, Disney Parks need to go private.

bhg469

I was pondering on how WDW could, or if, be returned to the level of quality that is World Class. I have decided that non core Disney entities must be divested and Disney core assets sold to a private organization that can operate Disney Parks for a profit but are not constrained to limitations of increasing stock prices.

As we pine for 2016 and the exit of Iger, his replacement will be little different. The Iger culture is too ingrained to be changed by a change in leadership and strategy. Culture trumps Strategy. Thus, Disney Parks need to go private.
There is often talk of this but I just can't see it happening.

SirLink

Change can happen very quickly change can happen very slowly. The only two solutions is Alan Horn or go outside the company for a new CEO, one of those two things will happen. Rassulo and Staggs ain't getting it, plus the Iger culture is just the Eisner Strategic Planning culture.

The problem is the leadership, the leaders want quick profits for bonus' if you have a leader who wants long term profitability their will be a significant culture shift and that can happen under a year.

Nubs70

Change can happen very quickly change can happen very slowly. The only two solutions is Alan Horn or go outside the company for a new CEO, one of those two things will happen. Rassulo and Staggs ain't getting it, plus the Iger culture is just the Eisner Strategic Planning culture.

The problem is the leadership, the leaders want quick profits for bonus' if you have a leader who wants long term profitability their will be a significant culture shift and that can happen under a year.
But will shareholders be willing to trade quick profits for long-term profitability?

tirian

Agreed. I think any comparisson to Six Flags is over-stating things. And dammit, I loved Jaws.

Uni isn't JUST HP. Men in Black beats any equivalent ride at Disney. Terminator is one of the best 3-D shows in Orlando. The Simpsons and Transformers are solid new additions. IOA was a step up from DHS, DAK and arguably Epcot even before HP.
It was poorly maintained until HP.

Jimmy Thick

But will shareholders be willing to trade quick profits for long-term profitability?

Is this question serious?

How can any of the aggressive purchases Iger has made not be considered made towards long term profitability? Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar will all made boat-loads of money until the world ends. Shareholders like myself wouldn't trade any of those purchases for a small blip of fad audience for small revenue in a small time amusement part.

Disney is being run right, this should not be questioned.

Jimmy Thick- Back to black.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom